Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807942 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4935 on: January 08, 2013, 06:31:52 pm »

What about wider political consequences? A faction has the king assassinated, that leads to a declaration of war on the nation that was backing that faction, etc. Think Archduke Ferdinand and the First European Unpleasantness.

In a similar vein: How fleshed out will diplomacy be?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:51 pm »

But the only one I have no one would answer.
Shot anyway, it's worth the risk.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: January 08, 2013, 07:06:25 pm »

because there really is no risk

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:49 pm »

What about wider political consequences? A faction has the king assassinated, that leads to a declaration of war on the nation that was backing that faction, etc. Think Archduke Ferdinand and the First European Unpleasantness.

In a similar vein: How fleshed out will diplomacy be?

There are no political consequences for this release really. There are wars happening during play, but that seems to be it. But if you're asking something later down the line. ToadyOne has expressed a great desire to have as much consequence from choices as possible. The same thing for diplomacy too. ToadyOne in a few DFTalks have talked about wanting actions taking by players which arent violent.

Here a collection of the old dev log that you can download and look at. Most, if not all of it are still valid roadmap for DF.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2307
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: January 08, 2013, 11:04:25 pm »

because there really is no risk

I can waste everyone's time and feel personally let down by having the question not answered.

So yeah the risk is feeling sad and useless. So it is hardly "no risk".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: January 08, 2013, 11:05:55 pm »

You won't really be wasting time. Toady's a programmer, if he can read his own C code, he can read English pretty quickly :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:24 pm »

You won't really be wasting time. Toady's a programmer, if he can read his own C code, he can read English pretty quickly :P

and that 1 second opening and reading will be wasted time. The one second writing it will be wasted time.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:55 pm »

[quote="Neonivek]and that 1 second opening and reading will be wasted time. The one second writing it will be wasted time.[/quote]

But if he asked for those questions, why wouldn't you comply?

Hope it's just sarcasm. I, for one, don't have anything to ask, my mind is bedazzled with all the recent updates.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:02 am »

I, for one, don't have anything to ask, my mind is bedazzled with all the recent updates

Minor races (any creature not a semimegabeast, power, or megabeast who possesses intelligence) has a lot of questions that can be asked... however there is already an answer: Toady doesn't know. Toady doesn't know what to do with them, not with animalmen and not with anyone else.

Future of megabeasts can be asked. Which I could break down to questions about territory.

Elements outside fire and water and how they are going to be implimented. For example electricity, thunderous sound, currosives, or laser beams.

Ecology balance outside of frequency

I never ran out of questions that I could ask. It is just that I sort of learned that the more ambiguous the question the less Toady knows the answer.

So I COULD, for example, ask him about whether metaphysical existance will happen within the physical plane or if it will be extrapolated. Yet I that is going to get the same answer: He doesn't know and he doesn't care to think about it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:18:58 am by Neonivek »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: January 09, 2013, 01:23:07 am »

DF talk is the most likely place such questions would be  answered so go for it. Especially in a talk where he's already mentioned that they don't have enough questions.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: January 09, 2013, 01:42:07 am »

Asking how Toady imagines the game will be a long ways down the road is the best kind of question to ask on Fortress Talk, IMO. It's not like this thread in that way.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:26 am »

All that soliloquy was as waste of time. Ask the darn questions already!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:28 am »

Will we ever get half elves?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:44 am »

Will we ever get half elves?

Tinker with the raws and they're all yours.

But really, I haven't heard nor read anything about crossing in the near future. We'll just have to wait.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: January 09, 2013, 10:04:57 am »

In the last talk Toady talked about them. If memory serves he mentioned that it will be something that could be done in the future (in vanilla), but not one of the "current" goals.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 748