Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807949 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4920 on: January 07, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »

I could see them having "chief" positions who do the book-keeping and the trading and act as head of the settlement, however.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: January 07, 2013, 10:32:41 pm »

I understand in later updates the true succession system will be fleshed out and extensive, but...

With the upcoming update, say three Barons/Counts/Dudes are vying for power, and in adventure mode I Butcher two "Convince them to revoke their claims" via my axe, will the 3rd account for this and take power? Or will the dead leaders' sons/daughters/Wives/demon-spawn take over the claims and carry them on?

I’m asking how it will be for this coming update by the way, not in the "Nobles update". I'm just being nosey really :)
Thanks, great game and love it to little wet meaty chunks bits :D
If this is a meant for ToadyOne, then you'll need to mark it in limegreen, or just green, so he'll pick it up.

But if I understand your question correctly. You're asking if positions once vacant, will be filled? I think the last dev post, says yes, they will be filled. I think the positions have tags on them, to denote if their inheritable or not.

Actually, I think he's asking whether claims will "chain." So if a Dwarven Count has a claim on an open King position, and dies before that claim is resolved, will his heir (or whoever takes over the Count position) pursue that claim on the King position, or will they abandon it if there are other claimants already vying for it?

I'm guessing the answer will be "Yes eventually, no timetable" and if I had to guess at an vague timetable I'd say "the same time nobles start wanting things and aggressively pursuing claims," but it's worth knowing whether he's given thought to the noble House system that implies, or how far he plans to go with succession for this release.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: January 07, 2013, 10:45:04 pm »

I could see them having "chief" positions who do the book-keeping and the trading and act as head of the settlement, however.

I could also see the Bookkeeper as chronoligist of a community keeping tabs on births, deaths and mariages (if dwarves have something like "seperation of Church and state") as well as important events. More like a appointed clerk and aid for the Chief/mayor etc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:58 am »

Oh... Okay.

So if the King Dies, then the Count that was vying for it died. Will the replacement of the Count vie  directly for the King Position, or become a Count then a King?

I dont think this would need any special mechanic to handle. If you're making a system to handle Succession of Entity Position, then it shouldnt be broken by Claimants not being able to Claim. (Hopefully, this inability to claim will become more complex, but I presume, death will be the main reason for a bit.)

So then will Eligible Claimants condense is claiming and go directly for the highest Position available? Or are they forced to do it through iteration. I think making sure it does it through iterative steps would be best.

Things that'll probably need to be handle, are unintentional Claiming Loops. Position A leads to Position B, leads to Postion A.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:56:18 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: January 08, 2013, 06:29:48 am »

I had a question

Toady how did you get the voice work for Beyond Quality?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: January 08, 2013, 06:43:40 am »

I had a question

Toady how did you get the voice work for Beyond Quality?

I want to bet a sock on "helium." Just because. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4926 on: January 08, 2013, 07:05:23 am »

Oh... Okay.

So if the King Dies, then the Count that was vying for it died. Will the replacement of the Count vie  directly for the King Position, or become a Count then a King?

I dont think this would need any special mechanic to handle. If you're making a system to handle Succession of Entity Position, then it shouldnt be broken by Claimants not being able to Claim. (Hopefully, this inability to claim will become more complex, but I presume, death will be the main reason for a bit.)

So then will Eligible Claimants condense is claiming and go directly for the highest Position available? Or are they forced to do it through iteration. I think making sure it does it through iterative steps would be best.

Things that'll probably need to be handle, are unintentional Claiming Loops. Position A leads to Position B, leads to Postion A.

Technically, he would not have to stop being count to become king, so he can hold both positions and order is irrelevant. He could, of course, stop being count if he would like to and assign this title to someone else.

Count could also be count in two different areas, sort of "double count".

For example, Rudolf II was, at same time:
King of Germany (King of the Romans), King of Hungary and Croatia, King of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke of Austria, Margrave of Moravia, Prince of Piombino, Prince of Transylvania.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: January 08, 2013, 07:06:38 am »

Will there be only one aristocratic hirarchy, or will different civs have different noble positions?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: January 08, 2013, 11:44:33 am »

Expanding on that, will there be people who are related to the nobility, but act like regular citizens unless they have a claim to maneuver? For example, the duke's cousin might not be important enough to warrent his own title or any noble perks, but he might have a tenuous claim on succession to the duchy.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: January 08, 2013, 02:10:50 pm »

For example, Rudolf II was, at same time:
[...] Archduke of Austria, Margrave of Moravia, Prince of Piombino, Prince of Transylvania.
Aww, you broke the alliteration :(   Clearly he should've been Tsar of Transylvania.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: January 08, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »

Expanding on that, will there be people who are related to the nobility, but act like regular citizens unless they have a claim to maneuver? For example, the duke's cousin might not be important enough to warrent his own title or any noble perks, but he might have a tenuous claim on succession to the duchy.
How fleshed out - on a scale from germanic tribal chief to Louis XIV - will the aristocracy be?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: January 08, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »

Will we be seeing factions develop around opposed claimants to a title? If so will the player see or participate in feuds between rival factions take place in game?
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: January 08, 2013, 03:40:44 pm »

Will we be seeing factions develop around opposed claimants to a title? If so will the player see or participate in feuds between rival factions take place in game?

This one, is probably not an explicit goal but an implicit goal. ToadyOne has spoken about the reemergence of Guild Leaders, and Religious Leaders appearing. There have been talk about, things like Traditional personality trait being contextual based on local and/or regional history. And we can extend the convo about Traditional personality trait, to other personality traits like Loyalist, or Patriots ect ect ect.

I also wanna say that Vampires can get followers when they're pretending in cities. There also Demons impersonating Gods and Mega and Semi Beasts gaining cults/worship.

So there lots of things that are in place to allow for organic formation of factions around emergent leaders. And depending on how these things get more fleshed out over time and work, you can totally get factions forming around leaders.

If it doesnt happen organically, then it might need dedicated mechanics to force it anyway, as having politcol strife within a  country is a great source of narrative, and come on, you gotta have civil wars and minor fights between regions.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #4933 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:43 pm »

I understand in later updates the true succession system will be fleshed out and extensive, but...

With the upcoming update, say three Barons/Counts/Dudes are vying for power, and in adventure mode I Butcher two "Convince them to revoke their claims" via my axe, will the 3rd account for this and take power? Or will the dead leaders' sons/daughters/Wives/demon-spawn take over the claims and carry them on?

I’m asking how it will be for this coming update by the way, not in the "Nobles update". I'm just being nosey really :)
Thanks, great game and love it to little wet meaty chunks bits :D

If I understand your question correctly. You're asking if positions once vacant, will be filled? I think the last dev post, says yes, they will be filled. I think the positions have tags on them, to denote if their inheritable or not.

Ah yes, I got that, thank you for the reply but I mean Will titles be handed down if they are hereditary, such as kings with a line of succession handed down via relatives and bloodlines, do you think the game will account for this I mean? I don't mean the positions and titles themselves, but the claims to those positions? For example a Duke is killed and a Count lays claim to his *Empty* position, will the son of the now dead Duke also have a claim? Or will the son just automatically be made Duke regardless of the claim by the Count? I Guess what I'm asking is could a character have a claim to a position that isn't vacant? And if so will a dispute such as that stop the position being filled once the current holder dies?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:26:43 pm by Eggman360 »
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »

Ugh, now I have to come up with DFtalk questions...

But the only one I have no one would answer.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 748