Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3763865 times)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4035 on: October 21, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »

I think the intention is that, eventually, each nation will have a culture procedurally generated within a set of basic racial guidelines(like the current entity ethics), to allow for maximum variation.
I other words, humans will be like a lot of things, goblins will be like a lot of things, but each country of each race will be unique to the world it was generated in, and not particularly 'like' any given real culture.

At least that's the impression I've gotten over the years when these kind of questions pop up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: October 21, 2012, 05:25:23 pm »

Toady seemed to misunderstand one of my questions, so I'll reword it.

Will the fruits develop from flowers, or will they just appear on the tree? And if flowers do mature into fruit, will the flowers of non-fruiting trees produce seed pods or whatever. (Note that I am NOT asking if we'll have non-abstract plant reproduction. I know we won't. But this would be a step in that direction.)

Also, another goblin question I probably should have asked earlier.

Does it fit in your view of goblins for them to have farms to feed their livestock (once feed is implemented, of course), and perhaps their slaves (as in, feeding slaves the same gruel they feed their animals)?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:08:15 am by Tov01 »

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: October 21, 2012, 07:54:47 pm »

Also goblins should eat again now that they're getting sites. I imagine vast ranches of elk bird and stolen cattle, awaiting the eventual slaughter. Also beak dog ranches where they get trained for war. But that doesn't belong here. Sorry.

I think one of the original rationales for them not was that the whole idea of goblin farmers didn't fit the aesthetic, but if the goblins were hunters and raiders, and kept slaves to do the farming, I think it would make a lot of sense for them to eat again.  I picture goblin fields being different from human fields in that they could be underground with watchtowers in the caverns to keep an eye on slave farmers, while aboveground plots would be walled and towered, giving a real prison-y vibe.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: October 21, 2012, 07:56:26 pm »

i like that idea.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: October 21, 2012, 08:59:17 pm »

I think the intention is that, eventually, each nation will have a culture procedurally generated within a set of basic racial guidelines(like the current entity ethics), to allow for maximum variation.
I other words, humans will be like a lot of things, goblins will be like a lot of things, but each country of each race will be unique to the world it was generated in, and not particularly 'like' any given real culture.

At least that's the impression I've gotten over the years when these kind of questions pop up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goblins not eating is an intentional point of flavor. They can eat meat but can also survive without it, and Toady doesn't intend to change that.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: October 21, 2012, 09:38:25 pm »

Will we be able to specify that some creatures can climb smooth and ice walls?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: October 21, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »

Will some trees have saps that can be harvested? What about pine sap being made into pine pitch glue? Do you think dwarves would enjoy tapping sugar maples roots in the winter and gathering the sap and turning it into maple booze?

I mean, technically it wouldn't be elfy, they ain't goin' above the ground ta' do it.

From Toady's last FotF reply:
Quote from: Auning
Will the varieties of tree produce have different specific uses? IE sap from a maple tree could be made into a syrup, while syrups made from saps taken from other trees would be inedible.

Haven't done anything with sap.

Sounds like he isn't planning on doing it in the next release, but who knows what the future may hold for sap and other non-fruit non-wood tree products.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: October 22, 2012, 09:13:48 am »

also, maple-tree-sap is not the only edible one

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: October 22, 2012, 03:20:22 pm »

theres birch sap leading to birch soda, RUBBER sap leading to RUBBER, sugar cane sap leading to SWEET THINGS, uh... several dozen more?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MaciusDF

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: October 22, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »

When will we know the Beta game? I think so that's Alfa version, doesn't it?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:48 pm »

2030, old boy.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaciusDF

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: October 22, 2012, 04:12:33 pm »

2030, old boy.

Im spanish and my English skills isnt very well xd. 2030? o my god, so later jaja

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: October 22, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

Yep.  We're still technically pre-Alpha.  And everything in game is still an "emergent feature".  That's what makes it so fun! (And !!FUN!!)

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: October 22, 2012, 07:30:44 pm »

2030, old boy.

You got him all wrong, guys. He's just excited about the plant and tree updates - he was trying to ask if this was the Alfalfa version.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #4049 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20:50 pm »

theres birch sap leading to birch soda, RUBBER sap leading to RUBBER, sugar cane sap leading to SWEET THINGS, uh... several dozen more?

The day I can drive a group of dugged out, sugar addicts to their death's, by promising them their weight in drug as a frikking @ symbol, will be the day that I win dwarf fortress.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 748