Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769195 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4020 on: October 20, 2012, 08:35:00 am »

We're into elf sites and have orchards now.

Will we be able to get orchards in Dwarf Fortress Mode too?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:07 am »

will it be possible to grab arrows mid flight "Ninja Style?"

I'm pretty sure he's addressed this specifically before, and said no - arrows travel instantaneously right now and I think he intends to keep it that way, in fact when the combat/movement speed split was happening I seem to remember him mentioning making sure the movement speed system would preserve the way arrows work now, and not allow very fast characters to get a turn while an arrow is in mid-flight and step out of its way. Grabbing arrows out of the air with reaction moments would be very similar to that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:23:59 am by Torchy »

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #4022 on: October 20, 2012, 10:17:46 am »

Ah ok, thanks :) I must have missed that post :)
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: October 20, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »

Oh, oh, oh, pick me!

Will you please, please get rid of those god damn annoying bastards called Bogeymen? I mean, with adding all this new, immersive stuff to adventure mode, I just think it would be appropriate to get rid of those buggers aswell.
Bogeymen should get less common as more reasons for stalking through the night go in. Presumably when Toady decides to take on parts of the thief role would be a good time.

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Cthulhu
Are boogeymen and the like always going to be this prominent?  It's cool that they're spotlighted now but I can see it getting kind of annoying once the game is more complete.
Quote from: thvaz
The release of 31.17 was a sucess amongst the playerbase, with few bugs and complains about the new mechanics. One of the complains is about the onipresence of bogeymen when alone at night. There will be some fine tuning about them in the future?
Nah, traveling alone in the night is too interesting a situation to always have every non-savage forest/plain/swamp bogeyman infested, but we wanted to try out this kind of atmosphere.  Once there's more of a reason to reclaim a piece of the night, we'll do that.

Well, eventually it should get easier to avoid boogeymen as time goes on. Right now, your anti-boogey options are to have party members, be in town staying the night, or stay the night in a lair.

But with caravans and other entities moving around we might eventually see the potential to spend a night at a temporary camp set up by merchants and such. Or even flat-out traveling with the caravan for safety in numbers sake when going through potentially dangerous territory.

My point is as new features are added the boogeyman problem might naturally become less due to having more options to avoid them.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: October 20, 2012, 02:15:17 pm »

Oh, oh, oh, pick me!

Will you please, please get rid of those god damn annoying bastards called Bogeymen? I mean, with adding all this new, immersive stuff to adventure mode, I just think it would be appropriate to get rid of those buggers aswell.
Bogeymen should get less common as more reasons for stalking through the night go in. Presumably when Toady decides to take on parts of the thief role would be a good time.

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Cthulhu
Are boogeymen and the like always going to be this prominent?  It's cool that they're spotlighted now but I can see it getting kind of annoying once the game is more complete.
Quote from: thvaz
The release of 31.17 was a sucess amongst the playerbase, with few bugs and complains about the new mechanics. One of the complains is about the onipresence of bogeymen when alone at night. There will be some fine tuning about them in the future?
Nah, traveling alone in the night is too interesting a situation to always have every non-savage forest/plain/swamp bogeyman infested, but we wanted to try out this kind of atmosphere.  Once there's more of a reason to reclaim a piece of the night, we'll do that.

Well, eventually it should get easier to avoid boogeymen as time goes on. Right now, your anti-boogey options are to have party members, be in town staying the night, or stay the night in a lair.

But with caravans and other entities moving around we might eventually see the potential to spend a night at a temporary camp set up by merchants and such. Or even flat-out traveling with the caravan for safety in numbers sake when going through potentially dangerous territory.

My point is as new features are added the boogeyman problem might naturally become less due to having more options to avoid them.

Actually, from my little experience, I find mountains to be the safe place from boogeymen as well.
But hey...

brilliantazure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: October 20, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »

Ok, this is completely off the topic of trees and whatever, but something I've been wondering for awhile is whether or not there are currently plans to make instruments usable, perhaps via some sort of musician job or simply as some sort of idle action when dwarves are sitting around in meeting halls. I think it would be neat to have dedicated bards, perhaps even whole bands, playing in designated meeting halls and providing happy thoughts.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: October 20, 2012, 05:29:50 pm »

Ok, this is completely off the topic of trees and whatever, but something I've been wondering for awhile is whether or not there are currently plans to make instruments usable, perhaps via some sort of musician job or simply as some sort of idle action when dwarves are sitting around in meeting halls. I think it would be neat to have dedicated bards, perhaps even whole bands, playing in designated meeting halls and providing happy thoughts.
Yes, there are such plans. You can find a quick mention on the dev page under "Inns, taverns and dens" in the Thief role :
Musical instrument use, dancing, storytelling, etc.
More discussion can be found in DF Talk #12, I think.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: October 21, 2012, 03:47:15 am »

Will some trees have saps that can be harvested? What about pine sap being made into pine pitch glue? Do you think dwarves would enjoy tapping sugar maples roots in the winter and gathering the sap and turning it into maple booze?

I mean, technically it wouldn't be elfy, they ain't goin' above the ground ta' do it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: October 21, 2012, 07:00:43 am »

Last we heard, Toady hadn't done anything with sap yet, which was a few days before he  went into climbing and jumping. Chances are that this hasn't changed yet, though perhaps during the elf site work he'll find a reason to do so.
Quote from: Auning
Will the varieties of tree produce have different specific uses? IE sap from a maple tree could be made into a syrup, while syrups made from saps taken from other trees would be inedible.
...  Haven't done anything with sap. ...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: October 21, 2012, 09:17:52 am »

At present, Dwarven society is quite a model of gender equality. Will factors such as Dwarven women's place in society be addressed at a later point in DF's development? Is it your intention to keep their society equal, or should there be differences that are more in keeping with traditional western european medieval society? The reason that I ask this is that some of us were having a debate over whether a Dwarven language should be gendered (on the basis of personal pronouns) because that would conflict with the gender equality that is apparently present in Dwarven culture.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:36:37 am by Owlbread »

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:38 am »

well, they certainly arent equal in _my_ forts...
every immigrant that arrives immediately gets either "worker" or "soldier" as a nickname, with males all being drafted and females left to do the rest of the work, since i find their habit of carrying babies into battle or having children follow them all the time very... unproductive... with them making their families tantrum when they die and all...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: October 21, 2012, 11:14:10 am »

At present, Dwarven society is quite a model of gender equality. Will factors such as Dwarven women's place in society be addressed at a later point in DF's development? Is it your intention to keep their society equal, or should there be differences that are more in keeping with traditional western european medieval society? The reason that I ask this is that some of us were having a debate over whether a Dwarven language should be gendered (on the basis of personal pronouns) because that would conflict with the gender equality that is apparently present in Dwarven culture.

In a similar direction:

Can you say a bit more about what sort of flavour each of the races will have? E.g. humans being similar to ancient Greece or Rome or to medieval times or the Renaissance or whatever; I hope you know what I mean ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: October 21, 2012, 12:23:09 pm »

Can you say a bit more about what sort of flavour each of the races will have? E.g. humans being similar to ancient Greece or Rome or to medieval times or the Renaissance or whatever; I hope you know what I mean ;)

I think aside from the general medieval time period, Toady's goal is that the societies of non-human races should not resemble any historical human societies.

I remember this specifically in the discussion of whether goblins need to eat: some people suggested goblins could be nomadic herders patterned after historical Mongols, and his response was that goblins shouldn't act like Mongols because the game should be able to make human civilizations that look Mongolian. The impression I got was that the simulation should account for the full diversity of historical human societies, with non-human civilizations looking like something else entirely.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #4033 on: October 21, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »

I think aside from the general medieval time period, Toady's goal is that the societies of non-human races should not resemble any historical human societies.

I remember this specifically in the discussion of whether goblins need to eat: some people suggested goblins could be nomadic herders patterned after historical Mongols, and his response was that goblins shouldn't act like Mongols because the game should be able to make human civilizations that look Mongolian. The impression I got was that the simulation should account for the full diversity of historical human societies, with non-human civilizations looking like something else entirely.

would be cool if they were possible.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: October 21, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »

The impression I got was that the simulation should account for the full diversity of historical human societies, with non-human civilizations looking like something else entirely.
That was why I asked about flavour and not about similar societies in real life - I just wanted some impression of what the various races will end up looking like.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 748