Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3774847 times)

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3990 on: October 18, 2012, 09:44:07 am »

Will we ever get dwarf cavalry? Will we be able to make armor for animals? Because an insane marksdwarf riding on an armored legendary Roc sounds just plain awesome. Better yet, make the bird a gunship.
Apparently, I am the first person to ever say "Screw You in All Your Finery."

!!SCIENCE!! team has vapor for brains.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:06 am »

Will we ever get dwarf cavalry? Will we be able to make armor for animals? Because an insane marksdwarf riding on an armored legendary Roc sounds just plain awesome. Better yet, make the bird a gunship.
Well, it wouldn't be a gunship due to the lack of technology from the time period, but I'm sure you could mod that in.
Although people made armor for thier war horses, and an armored Jabberer sounds perfectly reasonable. But for now, you could always use minecarts and have drive-by shootings. But I'm pretty sure animal armors and mounts are in the eventual plan.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: October 18, 2012, 09:52:10 am »

A Roc cavalry would be a sort of low-tech gunship. Have several marksdwarves per Roc instead of just one.

Seriously, DWARVEN GUNSHIPS. We could conquer the elves and goblins within a month!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: October 18, 2012, 10:32:59 am »

A Roc cavalry would be a sort of low-tech gunship. Have several marksdwarves per Roc instead of just one.
That would require not only proper mounts, but multiple riders to be implemented, which is perfectly reasonable, and would even give the two-humped camel a very useful ability to carry two people instead of just one. Perhaps the way mounting would work would be that certain body parts have a [MOUNTABLE] tag or such, which camels would have on their humps, and possibly, for large creatures such as rocs, this tag would combine with the creature's size to possibly permit multiple riders.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: October 18, 2012, 10:35:22 am »

Now as I said in another place

Most things that fly, barely fly.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:47 am »

true.

also, 2 humans can mount 1 horse, thats not only possible with two-humped camels.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:53 am »

true.

also, 2 humans can mount 1 horse, thats not only possible with two-humped camels.

What? Next thing you wil tell me is that you not only do not ride the humps, but that they don't carry water in them.

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 18, 2012, 11:20:48 am »

Yes, all of the above is good.

Spider Riders, Inheritance, and the Power of Roc! All is possible with Dwarf Fortress.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: October 18, 2012, 11:25:58 am »

When jumping, how high up can you get? If you manage one z level, does this mean you can grab hold of the roof of a 2 story building and climb up?
I imagine it would be based on strength/agility, and probably creature size. It would make sense for a human to jump higher than a dwarf.

Actually, it doesn't. Mass is cubically proportional to creature length, muscle force quadratically and leg length linearly. So if you consider the energy needed to jump to a certain height and the work your legs can perform during a jump, you see that the jumping height is roughly constant for creatures across all sizes. Ever noticed how cats and even grasshoppers can jump higher than you, despite being much smaller?

You know, that means it'd be possible for Toady to work out a formula for it, using a combination of the creature's size, weight, proportional leg size, strength stats.

Which would make proportional sizes start mattering for things beside just targeting and hit percentages.  I like when things matter.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:46 pm »

'ever' is such a strong word... but no. toady has stated he doesn't like the idea of mounted dwarves and he isn't planning on implementing mounts in fort mode

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: October 18, 2012, 03:36:46 pm »

Here is a relevant quote:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Mephansteras
When are Adventurers and Fortress Mode dwarves going to get Mounts? What are the current hurdles involved in allowing those, since invaders seem to use mounts just fine?
I don't know if fortress mode dwarves are ever going to get mounts, though modders will probably want them in any case.  Adv mode mounts are in the hero section on the new dev page, and the hurdles there are just the livestock purchase/tracking that'll go in with adv mode sites as they progress, and the minor pathing changes to get them to move with velocity, which will probably want the attack/move speed split from the combat rewrite first.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Charey Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: October 18, 2012, 11:59:14 pm »

Here is a relevant quote:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Mephansteras
When are Adventurers and Fortress Mode dwarves going to get Mounts? What are the current hurdles involved in allowing those, since invaders seem to use mounts just fine?
I don't know if fortress mode dwarves are ever going to get mounts, though modders will probably want them in any case.  Adv mode mounts are in the hero section on the new dev page, and the hurdles there are just the livestock purchase/tracking that'll go in with adv mode sites as they progress, and the minor pathing changes to get them to move with velocity, which will probably want the attack/move speed split from the combat rewrite first.

Half way there!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: October 19, 2012, 04:03:28 am »

You know, that means it'd be possible for Toady to work out a formula for it, using a combination of the creature's size, weight, proportional leg size, strength stats.

Which would make proportional sizes start mattering for things beside just targeting and hit percentages.  I like when things matter.

Which is fine by me as long as we can override it. DF world is still a fantasy world, and it'll be a nightmare modding in a creature with unlikely jump ability if you have to work out the numbers so it's coherent.
We need to keep the "A Wizard Did It".

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: October 19, 2012, 11:09:54 am »

Which is fine by me as long as we can override it. DF world is still a fantasy world, and it'll be a nightmare modding in a creature with unlikely jump ability if you have to work out the numbers so it's coherent.

In that case, there could be a jump force number (which would have its own tag) that directly alters how high the creature can jump. That way the equation can keep all the above stats for figuring out how high or how far a creature can jump and then the jump force will be added at the end for adjustments not requiring the modder to do the math and make the creature ultra-realistic. (Also this way the jump force number could be used with magic/syndromes for when magical effects increase or decrease jumping ability.)
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: October 19, 2012, 11:26:50 am »

In that case, there could be a jump force number (which would have its own tag) that directly alters how high the creature can jump. That way the equation can keep all the above stats for figuring out how high or how far a creature can jump and then the jump force will be added at the end for adjustments not requiring the modder to do the math and make the creature ultra-realistic. (Also this way the jump force number could be used with magic/syndromes for when magical effects increase or decrease jumping ability.)

Or just adding the [JUMP_FORCE] tag and forgetting about setting a default value... I don't know what'll take more time for Toady : coding a way to calculate a reasonnable default jump ability or setting an additional tag to all creatures.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 748