Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3774818 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3975 on: October 17, 2012, 08:46:46 am »

Will unrooted things on tiles be subject to velocity and physics from a flying creature that latches onto them mid-flight?
Ie: if a dwarf hurtles out of a minecart over a chasm, and grabs a goblin on a ledge, by the arm, mid-flight as it goes past, will the dwarf pull the goblin along with him until he stops? Or will the goblin act as if it were an entrenched pillar of lead, anchoring and wrenching the Dwarf to a sudden halt?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:48:54 am by MasterMorality »

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 17, 2012, 10:30:17 am »

I'm not sure how this never occurred to me before, but

Will Goblin settlements have shops?

Even though you can't play as a Goblin by default, and most of the time they'll be hostile to you automatically, it seems like it would make sense for them to have some kind of markets present at least for their own use. (Yes, I know the NPCs don't really *use* them) Especially if they're going to have civilian professions of the type that would produce goods for shops.

Also, for the rare character that is from a civ that is at peace with Goblins or somehow gets in good with them (not sure what might be possible with the Reputation system eventually, but I think of the way Human Outsiders can speak to and chill out with bandit camps), it'd be awesome to be able to mill around a Goblin Tower window-shopping whatever weird hideous shit they'd have for sale in there.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 17, 2012, 10:36:08 am »

Goblins definitely strike me as a command economy. Any necessary goods and services will be distributed by whomever is in charge of the site, and non-necessary luxuries are likely to be looted. They certainly don't strike me as the sort of group to make expensive fineries for export.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 17, 2012, 10:39:26 am »

Will combat advantages (both projectile and hand-to-hand) relating to z-levels be done in this release?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:39 am »

You can grab things while falling to presumably save you. Orbital Drop Shock Dorfs!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 17, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »

Have you planned on making magma transport easier?
Like magma pipes, or something like that.

He has something like that planned, but I doubt it will be in the current version...

Improved Mechanics

Better traps
        Stone traps should require the stone be placed above the tile that is targeted
        Stones should be able to roll (perhaps if they are started from or land on a ramp tile)
        Weapon traps should be multi-tile and require a spring or other potential energy source -- automatic resetting should require some explicit establishment of a feasible mechanism
    Large pipe sections -- walk on them or crawl inside them, allow passage for fluids
    Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)
    Waterproof axles through some mechanism
    Rock grinders? Fans? We'll do some other machines around this time -- whichever feasible ones are the most entertaining for dwarves and treasure hunters

I actually look forward to those. They remind me of a place called "Leaps and Bounds", which was basically a giant hamster-tube maze for kids. The fact they they can be walked on and crawled in make them pretty useful in various situations in my mind plus the liquid things will make transporting liquids less frustrating too... (Trees always seem to block my water tunnels.) (What would be even cooler is if the pipes could be attached to pumps so that you can pump from the bottom of a cistern instead of from the top, but that is getting into unnecessary discussion territory.)
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 17, 2012, 06:07:01 pm »

When jumping, how high up can you get? If you manage one z level, does this mean you can grab hold of the roof of a 2 story building and climb up?
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 17, 2012, 06:25:36 pm »

When jumping, how high up can you get? If you manage one z level, does this mean you can grab hold of the roof of a 2 story building and climb up?
I imagine it would be based on strength/agility, and probably creature size. It would make sense for a human to jump higher than a dwarf.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 17, 2012, 07:35:11 pm »

Well, dwarves can already unintentionally dodge up on top of walls.  So, in theory, it's already possible.

It would be nice if they could climb down now though.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34:46 pm »

Will unrooted things on tiles be subject to velocity and physics from a flying creature that latches onto them mid-flight?
Ie: if a dwarf hurtles out of a minecart over a chasm, and grabs a goblin on a ledge, by the arm, mid-flight as it goes past, will the dwarf pull the goblin along with him until he stops? Or will the goblin act as if it were an entrenched pillar of lead, anchoring and wrenching the Dwarf to a sudden halt?

Currently, what happens is that the dwarf will fly off (losing the grasp or removing a stuck weapon, as if the dwarf walked away on his turn) and the goblin stays still.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 18, 2012, 04:06:15 am »

I imagine it would be based on strength/agility, and probably creature size. It would make sense for a human to jump higher than a dwarf.

Actually, it doesn't. Mass is cubically proportional to creature length, muscle force quadratically and leg length linearly. So if you consider the energy needed to jump to a certain height and the work your legs can perform during a jump, you see that the jumping height is roughly constant for creatures across all sizes. Ever noticed how cats and even grasshoppers can jump higher than you, despite being much smaller?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:21 am »

Well, dwarves can already unintentionally dodge up on top of walls.  So, in theory, it's already possible.

It would be nice if they could climb down now though.

They can't dodge up two stories now can they? What I meant was

Z3
   |''''  Z2
@|     Z1

Where @ is a human and next to him is a two story wall. If he'd be able to grab hold of the roof with a jump.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3987 on: October 18, 2012, 08:20:07 am »

Well, dwarves can already unintentionally dodge up on top of walls.
I thought what was going on was that flying pets were standing on the tops of the walls and moving diagonally downward into tiles occupied by dwarves and displacing said dwarves onto the top of the wall (i.e. swapping position with them, something which happens quite frequently during movement).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 18, 2012, 09:33:23 am »

Well, dwarves can already unintentionally dodge up on top of walls.
I thought what was going on was that flying pets were standing on the tops of the walls and moving diagonally downward into tiles occupied by dwarves and displacing said dwarves onto the top of the wall (i.e. swapping position with them, something which happens quite frequently during movement).

Well, people usually only notice it happened long afterwards (often only after the dwarf has died), so it's hard to say.  Both reasons could be true in different cases.

At this point I don't really know enough to rule out either possibility, but one symptom can often have multiple causes.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:09 am »

Actually, it doesn't. Mass is cubically proportional to creature length, muscle force quadratically and leg length linearly. So if you consider the energy needed to jump to a certain height and the work your legs can perform during a jump, you see that the jumping height is roughly constant for creatures across all sizes. Ever noticed how cats and even grasshoppers can jump higher than you, despite being much smaller?
You have a point there, that would be funny to watch this little dwarf leap up and punch a human in the face. Must be why we can hit dragons and hydras in the head.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 748