Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809935 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3555 on: September 29, 2012, 12:36:35 am »

Moving on to defining various things that grow from the plants -- flowers, fruit, and leaves, mainly, but the raws should be fairly generic here. There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables, and if you're modding you should be able to call them whatever you like or have a tree that grows bronze swords or whatever. We should have apples or some kind of edible fruit soon... we have choices for fruit trees to add now I suppose.
This sure sounds fun. It allows for a tree growing golden apples, for one thing. And trees bearing syndrome fruits. And if secrets can be tied to that then you can create, if not yet the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, then at least the Tree of the Knowledge of Life and Death.

And that's without even considering what sorts of trees we might find underground.

Once fruites are added, possibly for a later update, will we ever get quests to get frutes from good or evil regions? " I require a putrid apple from the swamps of longbottoms, will you acquire it for me? "
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: September 29, 2012, 01:33:00 am »

That devlog... daaaayum.

I very much look forward to seeing modded trees that drop Unpleasantness onto nearby dwarves' heads. (On that note, can growths drop down on their own or must they always be harvested manually? If the former... having a carpet of dead leaves covering the ground of temperate forest embarks sounds cool, though I can't say the same about the resulting FPS hit.)

I think it's cool that there'll now be an actual benefit to keeping trees alive instead of just clear-cutting everything. Combine this with custom reactions and a lot of modding concepts just became viable.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: September 29, 2012, 02:20:31 am »

Moving on to defining various things that grow from the plants -- flowers, fruit, and leaves, mainly, but the raws should be fairly generic here. There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables, and if you're modding you should be able to call them whatever you like or have a tree that grows bronze swords or whatever. We should have apples or some kind of edible fruit soon... we have choices for fruit trees to add now I suppose.
This sure sounds fun. It allows for a tree growing golden apples, for one thing. And trees bearing syndrome fruits. And if secrets can be tied to that then you can create, if not yet the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, then at least the Tree of the Knowledge of Life and Death.

And that's without even considering what sorts of trees we might find underground.

Once fruites are added, possibly for a later update, will we ever get quests to get frutes from good or evil regions? " I require a putrid apple from the swamps of longbottoms, will you acquire it for me? "

Remember that not only good and evil biomes are going to be scrapped for good sooner than later (whatever that means here at Bay12) but also the questing system, as we know it, will undergo through several changes. Fruits might be aligned, as the forest themselves, to spheres, so we might see singing peaches or suicide raspberries and those all could have their own interactions based on what they are. Also, reading the devlog you may notice that not only fruits can grow from these giving trees...
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: September 29, 2012, 02:22:31 am »

So now we know the answer to the Eternal Question of Dwarf Fortress; The First Anvil came from an Anvil Tree.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: September 29, 2012, 02:37:55 am »

And everyone knows Anvil Trees only release their fruit when unlucky fortunate cartoon characters dwarves walk underneath.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

snpaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: September 29, 2012, 03:01:34 am »

I wonder if toady is gonna add in that Cichi Cichi berry  that keeps on popping up in threetoe's stories as one of the new fruits.  I like the idea of the elves finally being able to defend themselves without having to be a bowman.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: September 29, 2012, 03:07:13 am »

Well there are some very unpleasent trees in RL like the Dynamite tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hura_crepitans). Others like female Ginko produce Butyrik acid which you hopefully never encounter outside the classroom - the stench is just unbearable.

I guess falling leaves are handled like rain, snow or grass creating a covering instead of being items.

Toady, now that we have trees and Leaves, flowers and such will they be part of the of the "Art". I could see elves using many floral ornaments on theyr items.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: September 29, 2012, 07:54:14 am »

When are we going to see some more of Threetoe's stories?  I love them, and I want more!
Side note: A quest involving the fruit of a magic tree wouldn't be amiss ;)
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: September 29, 2012, 08:04:21 am »

When are we going to see some more of Threetoe's stories?  I love them, and I want more!

Aye, has been a while.  DF Talk also!  Hope to see more of both  :)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: September 29, 2012, 09:13:21 am »

Quite right!
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: September 29, 2012, 09:38:34 am »

:( yep didnt see one in quite a while. Anew story up on the frontpage would be neat. Atm i cant afford to get my own reward-story an update. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: September 29, 2012, 02:03:35 pm »

This devlog is promising as hell!
Do leaves count as items? Are they collectable or will they fall to the ground as a 'contaminant' during autumn?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: September 29, 2012, 03:04:03 pm »

This devlog is promising as hell!
Do leaves count as items? Are they collectable or will they fall to the ground as a 'contaminant' during autumn?
+1
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: September 29, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »

Can plants fruit with living things? Like, a tree that creates Bad Things, or an 'egg pile' plant that creates bugmen?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: September 29, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »

Can plants fruit with living things? Like, a tree that creates Bad Things, or an 'egg pile' plant that creates bugmen?
There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables...
Creatures are not items. At most, you might perhaps be able to get vermin growths, but I rather doubt it. No sheep growing from plants, I'll say.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 748