Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809964 times)

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3540 on: September 28, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »

oh yeah, there are exactly the 2x2x3 i remember, good work finding that one otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: September 28, 2012, 12:20:46 pm »

Yea, but thats not the only volume of a tile though thats seems to be the volume of a tile when its dealing with mine carts. If I recall, it doesnt seem to match up with the volume of a block of steel.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: September 28, 2012, 01:32:35 pm »

As well I have measured distance in Dwarf Fortress before using time.

Tiles are small and large at the same time... and before you go 999 dragons... I should state that I am not refering to that.

In terms of scale of infrastructure and objects each tile is small... In terms of how long it takes to clear a tile each tile is large.

I think I calculated the largest world to be a bit smaller then Europe by travel speed.

So basically you could convert that to gain the "Travel size" of each square.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:34:59 pm by Neonivek »

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: September 28, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »

i guess the problem is that not all aspects of the game were programmed with a unified tile size in mind, so things dont add up when one calculates from different points of origin. there are many aspects of the game, an i am sure one can calculate tiles to be 10cm wide as well as 10m depending on where one starts, so only aspects of the game where toady really thought about tile sizes when programming should be considered, while toady should be reminded not to forget to fix the other aspects of the game at some point, so things add up in the end.(e.g. trees not being only twice as high as they are wide or to fix in the future: travel-times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: September 28, 2012, 03:04:46 pm »

Well simply speaking I just split each square into different measurements.

It is just a world where Travel Time Size and City size are different.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #3545 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:46 pm »

We see the world of DF through a screen where the display resolution isn't large enough to exactly map out the bounds of objects.  Let's pretend for a moment that each tile is 3 meters wide.  Just because a tree trunk is shown taking up 3 tiles doesn't mean that it's 9 meters wide.  If it's centered in the middle tile it may be just over 3 meters wide and only protruding through the tiles on the left and right by a small amount.  It's the same way that we know that a sock doesn't take up the full 3 meters of the tile it occupies on screen.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3546 on: September 28, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »

...But then there's still the fact that some of the trees in Toady's sample forest take up two tiles.

I mean, plenty of them are one tile.
...And I suposse we could say these are primal forest, so the trees had a damn long time to grow.

But still, very big trees. I wonder how big the elven trees will be.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: September 28, 2012, 04:16:49 pm »

of course one has to assume tiles arent always maximally filled, but still the proportions are wrong, even when a tile is 2m wide, a 3tiles x 3tiles tree has a diameter of at about 4m, which, at an height of 15m is still too much for most types of trees

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #3548 on: September 28, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »

of course one has to assume tiles arent always maximally filled, but still the proportions are wrong, even when a tile is 2m wide, a 3tiles x 3tiles tree has a diameter of at about 4m, which, at an height of 15m is still too much for most types of trees

Dwarf trees, everything is shorter and fatter!  ;D
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: September 28, 2012, 05:34:40 pm »

According to wikipedia, the largest single-stem tree recorded has a diameter of 9.38 meters. Only 5 species have been recorded to have trunks over 6 meters across. Of course, multi stem trees can get even larger.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: September 28, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »

Dwarf trees, everything is shorter and fatter!  ;D

But not alcohol-dependent. At least, until the modders get to work.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: September 28, 2012, 06:31:33 pm »

Alcohol dependent is a creature token, so no.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: September 28, 2012, 07:54:41 pm »

Alcohol dependent is a creature token, so no.

That gives me a great idea, make it so that plants can be given a tag for 'contaminant' or 'material' requirements to grow.

This would let us expand on farming practices and other such things quite nicely :)

also would let modders make alcohol dependent trees.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:05 pm »

I assumed the trees were that fat because he wanted to test out horizontal as well as vertical growth. He's putting in quite a few growth parameters, so we'll probably be getting more normal trees. Or if not, we can mod 'em.

How much control over plant growth will we have in the raws? Will it be fairly basic, as now, or will we have things like MAX_HEIGHT, CANOPY_SHAPE and LIMB_DENSITY?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: September 29, 2012, 12:04:07 am »

Moving on to defining various things that grow from the plants -- flowers, fruit, and leaves, mainly, but the raws should be fairly generic here. There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables, and if you're modding you should be able to call them whatever you like or have a tree that grows bronze swords or whatever. We should have apples or some kind of edible fruit soon... we have choices for fruit trees to add now I suppose.
This sure sounds fun. It allows for a tree growing golden apples, for one thing. And trees bearing syndrome fruits. And if secrets can be tied to that then you can create, if not yet the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, then at least the Tree of the Knowledge of Life and Death.

And that's without even considering what sorts of trees we might find underground.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 748