Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3763937 times)

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3075 on: August 24, 2012, 10:18:31 am »

I'm looking forward to the "living world" aspect.  I can't wait to be able to take an adventurer out and try to survive ala "unreal world" by hunting and fishing.  Make a cabin, raise livestock, make an Inn close to a nearby road, earn some coin, listen to rumors of goings on from afar, defend my property, employ guards, watch as an army passes along the road to some distant battlefield...   Uh, yes... these are what my dreams are made of.  And DF is getting closer and closer.   Yay!

Oh, and get married, have children and play as one of them when I die, old and satisfied... errrr sorry, forgot this was DF....   when I die chopped, mutilated, digested and crapped out onto my front lawn.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:27:44 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: August 24, 2012, 11:12:50 am »

I'm looking forward to the "living world" aspect.  I can't wait to be able to take an adventurer out and try to survive ala "unreal world" by hunting and fishing.  Make a cabin, raise livestock, make an Inn close to a nearby road, earn some coin, listen to rumors of goings on from afar, defend my property, employ guards, watch as an army passes along the road to some distant battlefield...   Uh, yes... these are what my dreams are made of.  And DF is getting closer and closer.   Yay!

Oh, and get married, have children and play as one of them when I die, old and satisfied... errrr sorry, forgot this was DF....   when I die chopped, mutilated, digested and crapped out onto my front lawn.

Then you can avenge your own death! Not that I don't try to do that already, but it lacks a certain something when it's just a series of random adventurers instead of flesh and blood somebody-who-would-care.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »

if you want to complain about lucky shots archers/crossbowmen are probably a better destination for your aggression

No... Anyone who plays this game knows that the very first thing you do is take down the ranged archers and crossbowmen BECAUSE you know they can easily luck out and kill you.

If there isn't enough time then you break their foot, then hand.

Boogeymen there is no method except cheaping them out, which ONLY works because combat is so simple.

Also Boogeymen are not a placeholder.

Honestly I didn't mind Boogeymen until I got a map with a lot of rivers (Movement obstructive rivers became more common for me) and when I fought Megabeasts and had my followers EASILY take it out.

What I don't like is that, unlike the night creatures, they don't seem to have a reason to exist or an origin of sorts, they sort of just poof into existence to kick your ass for seemingly no reason other then you being alone somewhere far away from civilization.

They are sort of a living manifestation of the fear we experience while alone in the dark. That which frieghtens children and drives men insane.

It is setting dressing. They make sense and heck you could even interpret them as you simply being insane. Afterall, NO ONE in world gen ever was killed by Boogeymen, no one has seen a boogeyman, so how do they know?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: August 24, 2012, 12:52:40 pm »

I wish they'd do more than just bite and punch you to death though. It's not particularly scary if you get killed by being punched to death for the 9th time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: August 24, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »

I wish they'd do more than just bite and punch you to death though. It's not particularly scary if you get killed by being punched to death for the 9th time.

They can gore you.

Honestly I think one move they should do is if three grab you... you should be dragged into the shadows and die.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: August 24, 2012, 01:11:08 pm »

They can gore you.

Honestly I think one move they should do is if three grab you... you should be dragged into the shadows and die.

They should drag you into the shadows and turn you into a boogeyman.  If you keep the same size you had before, suddenly everyone will fear the night!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: August 24, 2012, 02:43:19 pm »

Personally, I like to think of bogeyman as the souls of all my past adventurers and their followers pissed off at me for letting them die. There certainty is enough of them for that to make sense. :P

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: August 24, 2012, 04:51:55 pm »

They can gore you.

They should drag you into the shadows and turn you into a boogeyman.  If you keep the same size you had before, suddenly everyone will fear the night!

That would be pretty cool, especially with the new stealth/non lethal combat stuff. Become some sort of half night creature batman.
Blargh.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: August 25, 2012, 06:24:33 am »

Also Boogeymen are not a placeholder.

Maybe not , but I doubt their implementation is close to finished. I think they're still in the experimental phase.

Also, for those who don't know, setting your fighting preference to charging makes them easier to fight because they're comparatively small. Of course, you're still likely to die from a lucky shot, especially if you get surrounded.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: August 25, 2012, 12:02:06 pm »

and heaven pray for you if you are not using a Boogeyman specific weapon. (another good reason to turn them off)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: August 25, 2012, 12:11:54 pm »

Bogeyman specific weapon?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: August 25, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »

Are you planning on fixing the issue where werebeasts infect way too many people, causing massive slowdown in worldgen? I imagine it'd be just as much of a problem in post-worldgen historymaking, so I'd think it would be something to prioritize.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: August 25, 2012, 01:22:59 pm »

Bogeyman specific weapon?

Blades (and I think peircing works too but no where close to as well)

But if you are using blunt... well good luck (I've killed a LOT of boogeymen groups with blunt... but even I know it takes several shots that a sword can do in one)

Though that is partially because Blunt doesn't work like a blunt weapon.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:28:06 pm by Neonivek »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: August 25, 2012, 01:37:59 pm »

Are you planning on fixing the issue where werebeasts infect way too many people, causing massive slowdown in worldgen? I imagine it'd be just as much of a problem in post-worldgen historymaking, so I'd think it would be something to prioritize.
He's done at least some work in that regard already.
  (*) Stopped werebeasts from gumming up world gen
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: August 25, 2012, 02:12:28 pm »

I'm for creatures roaming an area and attacking you, or if bogeymen made more sense, had goals, lives, reasons etc, but as it stands they're just irritating. You should be able to live as a loner, walking into famously bad inns, gathering information and having the odd mexican standoff, sleeping with one eye open and a loaded crossbow, without magically appearing jackasses mobbing you every bloody night.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 748