Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3762882 times)

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3060 on: August 23, 2012, 11:51:20 am »

Yeah, they are my least favorite.  I usually turn them off too. Simply being mobbed because you're alone just doesn't sit well with me.  There needs to be some change in the mechanics for it to make the nights more dangerous, but less... whatever you'd call it as it stands now.  Of course, that's the beauty of making these things toggleable, allowing for individual tastes.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:49 pm »

IMO if you cant handle half a dozen bogey men, how well shall you fare against a score of thieves amongst whom there will be two or three masters at arms clad and wielding masterwork loot-to-be? I see as a danger for the first days of my adventurers but after some weasel wrestling they are more like training dummies since they cant touch me. The main problem being exhaustion if I dont play a vampire.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: August 23, 2012, 02:33:11 pm »

IMO if you cant handle half a dozen bogey men, how well shall you fare against a score of thieves amongst whom there will be two or three masters at arms clad and wielding masterwork loot-to-be? I see as a danger for the first days of my adventurers but after some weasel wrestling they are more like training dummies since they cant touch me. The main problem being exhaustion if I dont play a vampire.

so basically after grinding your skills up extremely high using what is basically an exploit they can no longer touch you?

wonderful, because every game needs to be centered around grinding and exploits...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: August 23, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

Also I LONG since turned Boogeymen off. I don't even create worlds with them anymore.
They're not nearly ass annoying as they once were, and they only show up at all if you're out alone at night. If you haven't done so in more than a year or so, I'd recommend you try playing with them again.

Right so if I don't want to see any boogeymen then I shouldn't explore..

OR I could remove boogeymen and keep the wonder of adventure.

Adventure or Boogeymen... Adventure... or boogeymen... such a hard choice.
You could also explore with a buddy or two. And if you see bogeymen you could always just kill them. They're not really tough unless you get overwhelmed.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: August 23, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »

Also I LONG since turned Boogeymen off. I don't even create worlds with them anymore.
They're not nearly ass annoying as they once were, and they only show up at all if you're out alone at night. If you haven't done so in more than a year or so, I'd recommend you try playing with them again.

Right so if I don't want to see any boogeymen then I shouldn't explore..

OR I could remove boogeymen and keep the wonder of adventure.

Adventure or Boogeymen... Adventure... or boogeymen... such a hard choice.
You could also explore with a buddy or two. And if you see bogeymen you could always just kill them. They're not really tough unless you get overwhelmed.
Which will pretty much always happen. Boogeymen have a tendency to zerg you if you don't run away, and while they aren't very dangerous there's enough of them that the Random Number God has a tendency to kill you with at least one of those 20 head-gorings. Goddamn horns.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: August 23, 2012, 11:32:08 pm »

Boogeyman have enough skill and speed that everytime you fight them you risk having one lucky shot chipping a bone and knocking you unconscious. Some people get lucky and kill groups effortless constantly, but I have had them hit me after a tackle.

They are actually a LOT easier to run away from if you have the speed (which I always do. Agility I rate higher then strength)... it just gets annoying and boring after a while.

Which is sort of the thing. They game is MORE fun without Boogeymen. I am not dealing with a time limit, I don't have to avoid rivers (and for SOME maps, not crossing rivers will make you quite the game on the spot... They don't always build bridged logically). I don't have to carry huge parties that kill enemies for me because I don't have to worry about the Boogeymen.

Every aspect, every single aspect, of the game is better when there are no Boogeymen except if I want to fight boogeymen... but If I want to do that I'll make a game with boogeymen. There is no part of the game that isn't worse because of boogeymen.

Heck I don't know how but I bet Fortress mode is better without Boogeymen too... and they don't even show up in that mode.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:34:15 pm by Neonivek »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: August 24, 2012, 12:40:06 am »

RE: Boogeymen talk

The problem is, the boogeymen are everywhere.
They have no home in which you can attack or ambush them at. They are infinitely respawning jerkasses able to rip your body apart regardless of armor. They always attack you at night and only when you are alone; this is certainly appropriate for a creature in a high savagery area, or a personified spirit in a good/evil biome, or a good/evil biome effect like zombies/husks, or even a curse from a mummy or summoning spell from a wizard... But boogeymen don't just appear there. They can appear anywhere other night creatures can. You can be in the lowest savagery area in the world, and probably still find boogeymen ready to kill you if you step outside alone at night, and this really doesn't seem correct for what they are.

I'd rather be warned about the local night-patrolling werewolf or troll or titan, than a boogeyman.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: August 24, 2012, 12:47:43 am »

Bogeymen tend not to appear in oceans, mountains, or areas far from civilization, actually.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:16 am »

Bogeymen tend not to appear in oceans, mountains, or areas far from civilization, actually.

Oceans and mountains you can't fast-travel over (something else i hope changes for mountains at least) and areas far from civilization may not exist on long-running or smaller sized worlds.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: August 24, 2012, 03:49:59 am »

Hopefully, bogeymen are some sort of placeholder until the game is more fleshed out. I don't see how they'd get much use when you have things like the stalking night creatures and other wandering night-time predators. Things would get bad when these challenges stack by chance. For example, getting woken up by a pack of were-wolves, a stalking night-creature that visits you every night as a result of a curse, as well as a swarm of bogeymen. That is a bit much, though there is something to be said about getting rare catastrophic coincidences like that. It seems like the bogeymen just aren't necessary at a point, as if they'll be unnecessary extra fat next to the real beef of the content. Just my opinion, though.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: August 24, 2012, 06:54:36 am »

Bogeymen used to have biomes attached to them (but apparently that changed at some point). I'm pretty sure they used to be the same as the night trolls still have - any forest, any shrubland, any savannah, any grassland, any wetland, and tundra. This is why they didn't appear in mountains, beaches, and "far from civilizations" (which is only because the biomes that they didn't appear in were also the ones that the vanilla playable races simply don't expand into). Given that they now lack biomes, I'm not sure if any of that still applies.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: August 24, 2012, 07:46:08 am »

As someone above me noted, after some time spent adventuring bogeymen arn't that hard to deal with, and if you want to complain about lucky shots archers/crossbowmen are probably a better destination for your aggression (DAMNIT +iron breastplate+ WHY DON'T YOU PROTECT MY HEART FROM   ONE -tin bolt-?!). That said, I agree that bogeymen are more of an irritant than something that actually adds anything to the game, but that's why you can turn them off. On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me when, if ever, my siege operators will stop fleeing in terror at the first glimpse of a goblin through a fortification?
EDIT: To elaborate, will something be added to where, if there is something obstructing a hostile creature from attacking a civilian, they won't get the "Urist McUseless cancels load ballista: interrupted by fluffy bunny huggler" reaction?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:40:41 am by MrCat »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3072 on: August 24, 2012, 08:21:19 am »

Will there also be some kind of exposition for the various characters you meet? Will the warrior I meet tell me how he helped defend his city? Will they tell me how they were besieged by a vile force of darkness?

Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:24 am »

I'm ok with bogeymen, they stop being a problem once you get one companion or become skilled enough to scare them away by killing enough of them. If you're attacked by them and you're far from civilization, its best to fight them if you aren't fast enough to outrun them, otherwise they'll just follow you everywhere and slowly chip at you untill you keel over and get stomped to death.

What I don't like is that, unlike the night creatures, they don't seem to have a reason to exist or an origin of sorts, they sort of just poof into existence to kick your ass for seemingly no reason other then you being alone somewhere far away from civilization. But yea, I assume they're just a placeholder for future stuff, like the stalking night creatures, curses and etc.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:50:29 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:34 am »

What I don't like is that, unlike the night creatures, they don't seem to have a reason to exist or an origin of sorts, they sort of just poof into existence to kick your ass for seemingly no reason other then you being alone somewhere far away from civilization.

I have kind of made my peace with them by imagining them to be a rite of passage for each adventurer.  Only once you've defeated them have you conquered your fear of the night.  That said I've never actually managed to do that yet, hehe.  Stupid wild boars.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the latest devlog, didn't expect starting situation/scenarios to appear for a long time, so along with tracking the next release is gonna be awesome for adventure mode.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 748