Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811543 times)

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2910 on: August 09, 2012, 07:40:08 pm »

Critters on the ground are a little strange -- it picks the same parts that can pick up spatter from the ground, so there are strange things like cheek prints and turban marks, as if the crawling people really dig in with their whole bodies.

That is so hilariously Dwarf Fortress. I can see the oddest things coming out of this...

"Hold up, the tracks have changed... It looks like he stopped and dragged his face, on the left side, and his upper right leg, across the ground here!"

Hehe, this just reminded me of the scene in The Princess Bride where the bad guy comes upon the tracks of two duelists sword fighting.  He reads the tracks in very great detail....  aaah, good times.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: August 09, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »

Why is it orange?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: August 09, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »

Why is it orange?
Some folks use orange to color things that are questions they would like answered but are likely to be more easily and quickly answered by users, and thus don't need to go to Toady.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: August 09, 2012, 09:17:26 pm »

yupp,
thx for the answers guys, somehow i missed that energy part on that one devlog

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2914 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:27 am »

Can tracks be cleaned up? or deliberately stamped over so much as to make interpretation impossible? or interacted with in any way other than observation?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: August 10, 2012, 01:25:18 pm »

My first reaction when reading about the new ambush system was "sweet, now the frequency of ambushes will be decreased, or at least believable !".
Then I thought "But some people are bound to say they think it's a useless feature, that it doesn't matter for the player to know where the bandits are from".
And then I thought : now when they ambush you, you can track back to their camps and hideaways... and sweet, sweet loot".

This is looking great.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: August 11, 2012, 12:04:46 am »

At this point we should point out that LoTR, other standard fantasy elves and DF elves are VERY different creatures.

I mostly brought up LotR because the question put up by Bohandas does get twice as interesting when you consider that elves have precedent for not leaving trails.
I wasn't trying to imply that DF elves had to follow LotR elves' example. To a certain extent, I hope DF elves differ a lot from LotR elves. I think LotR elves can be a bit boring in their over-perfection at time.

Whether DF elves would leave a trail or not seems like a pretty interesting bit of info on the forest dwellers as DF sees them.

Considering LotR elves to be almost angelic and how carnal DF elves are, i think any similarities between the two to be superficial.

DF Elves are cannibals, for shit's sake.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: August 11, 2012, 12:57:41 am »

Eh. Calling them "cannibals" is a bit of a stretch. They eat people, but only people they've already killed for other reasons.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: August 11, 2012, 01:15:29 am »

Um... have we ever actually seen elves eating elves?

If not, they're not cannibals.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: August 11, 2012, 01:24:51 am »

If/when boats arrive in game, do you plan to make it possible for traders/hostiles to arrive by boat, if you're by the ocean? Might add something interesting to the game, plus it would let people create a semi-accurate simulation of D-Day. Didn't see anything about this on the dev page, but it might be implied anyway along with ocean travel. On the note of ocean travel, are you going to make it possible for adventurers to pay for a ride, or commandeer the boat if that's their choice perhaps? That would greatly expand the world for adventurers.

Also, any plans to make it possible to remove clothing thoughts/ghosts by modding? Some mods have had slight problems due to those areas being hard coded.

Just dumping some random thoughts. I'm really looking forward to boats, even though they probably won't be in the game for a long time. I'm patient though.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: August 11, 2012, 06:23:28 am »

Um... have we ever actually seen elves eating elves?

If not, they're not cannibals.

I suppose they would eat elves raised by goblins.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: August 11, 2012, 08:04:00 am »

Eh. Calling them "cannibals" is a bit of a stretch. They eat people, but only people they've already killed for other reasons.

But that kind of rules a lot of cannibals in the real world. It's almost always ritualistic, and they usually eat enemies. Both of these seem to be the case for elves.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:06:42 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

gordogomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: August 11, 2012, 09:47:39 am »

from http://dictionary.cambridge.org

cannibal
noun /ˈkæn.ɪ.bəl/ [C]

Definition
a person who eats human flesh, or an animal which eats the flesh of animals of its own type

therefore, elves would only be cannibals if they ate other elves

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:24 am »

elves are people, but they're not humans. an elf eating another elf would not fit the definition of cannibal, but an elf eating a human would

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: August 11, 2012, 11:44:55 am »

Nonono, It's animals they eat the flesh of other animals of the same type, so elves eating elves.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 748