Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811680 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2760 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:18 am »

I wonder how power levelling ambusher will impact the new system. Currently you can kill a whole army without being noticed if you are legendary...

I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty legendary to me.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: July 24, 2012, 04:50:45 am »

Do multiple eyes, eyes in the back of your head, flexible eye stalks, and the like work with this system?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: July 24, 2012, 05:48:50 am »

I wonder how power levelling ambusher will impact the new system. Currently you can kill a whole army without being noticed if you are legendary...
or you could... try it normally? dunno, I think this kinda kills any slim amount of fun that possibly could have been obtained from powerleveling ambusher, as it no longer seems like getting spotted is a % check per turn when near an omniscient being, so you shouldn't need to crank ambusher up to legendary before walking out of a town if you are dead set on having an invincible character for whatever reason.

at any rate. two questions for Toady.
Toady, does ambusher actually have any effect other then speed improvement with this new update? can it protect you from being spotted?

have you considered attempting to nerf some of the major grinding options in adventure mode?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 24, 2012, 08:25:16 am »

Holy fucking shit, that sneaking movie looks awesome.

Is the display of enemy field of vision, sounds and alert status dependent on your sneak and/or perception skill?
I think it would be great if there'd be some sort of fairly inaccurate "base information" about the enemy FoV and alert status, but if you'd get more and more precise information if your perception skill was higher. For example only show the status (searching, alert, normal or whatever) and a short direction indicator as default, but with a high perception skill you see the range and how long the guards will stay alert.
EDIT: same for sound obviously.
Will there be a way to toggle sound perception? Say, it's only visible in sneaking mode or in listen-carefully-mode?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:47:09 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 24, 2012, 09:06:51 am »

So in the video with sound, the yellow mist shows where noise is coming from?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: July 24, 2012, 09:19:33 am »

So in the video with sound, the yellow mist shows where noise is coming from?

I wonder if it's where noise come from or just the approximate position of people from what you can hear.
If it's the different sounds, I hope there is some way to differentiate what sounds come from where.

To what extent are sounds going to expanded ? Will there be some things like a way to hear to stomping of a dragon in a cave ? I'm thinking of minotaurs' labyrinth too, where there is a basic placeholder for the beast's voice echoing through the corridors.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: July 24, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

How will the new sneaking system work with companions? Hopefully we won't have our companions lumbering through the camp while we are trying to stealth. How will this be handled? Perhaps a placeholder "Wait here." kind of system, or will they somehow stealth as well?

How will sound be further applied in adventure mode, if at all, besides the army camps and other infiltration situations in the future? What specific attributes/skills will tie in with all of this?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:30:30 pm by Auning »
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: July 24, 2012, 03:23:24 pm »

This may have been asked in some form earlier. Will adventurers have a more semi-limited field of view, just like everything else in the game? As it is, we have an all-seeing perspective (in all directions at once). Will this be altered as a result of this update, or in the future? On a similar note, how will sound be further applied in adventure mode, if at all, besides the army camps and other infiltration situations in the future? Will there be attributes/skills that tie in with all of this?

It was. Earlier on this page (by my reckoning), in fact:

Are those cones of vision? I guess Toady changed his mind about them, I could swear I remember him saying he didn't like them.

Yes they are.  They were discussed in the DF Talk 9 bonus section:
Then there's the whole thief mechanics, I haven't played a lot of those Thief games so I'm not up on the technology there ... a lot of it is about which way are they looking, like vision arcs, and that's something that I'm not comfortable with as a concept in general, I don't like it when you're walking around and you can only see half the screen, because that's not how it works, or at least if you were paranoid enough in a fantasy game you have to worry about getting attacked you'd be like 'step forward, look over my shoulder, step forward, look over my shoulder, step forward, look over my shoulder, step forward, look over my shoulder' so it should just show you everything. But when you're sneaking you shouldn't be able to ... when someone's sneaking at least if it's you or if the target of the sneaking is not the player, then there should be things like vision arcs so that you can have a guard walking down a hallway and then you can run down the hallway behind him ... There are going to be visions arcs then, but they just don't apply to you, I don't want to put them in for you ... Someone should be able to do that to you too theoretically, like you're walking down a hallway and then they can run up behind and either attack you or run down the hallway, but if we put in vision arcs strictly then you'll constantly have to stop and be paranoid about looking over your shoulder, and as realistic as that might be it would not be fun.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:25:31 pm by Putnam »

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: July 24, 2012, 04:58:35 pm »

It was. Earlier on this page (by my reckoning), in fact:

Are those cones of vision? I guess Toady changed his mind about them, I could swear I remember him saying he didn't like them.

Yes they are.  They were discussed in the DF Talk 9 bonus section:
Then there's the whole thief mechanics, I haven't played a lot of those Thief games so I'm not up on the technology there ... a lot of it is about which way are they looking, like vision arcs, and that's something that I'm not comfortable with as a concept in general, I don't like it when you're walking around and you can only see half the screen, because that's not how it works, or at least if you were paranoid enough in a fantasy game you have to worry about getting attacked you'd be like 'step forward, look over my shoulder, step forward, look over my shoulder, step forward, look over my shoulder, step forward, look over my shoulder' so it should just show you everything. But when you're sneaking you shouldn't be able to ... when someone's sneaking at least if it's you or if the target of the sneaking is not the player, then there should be things like vision arcs so that you can have a guard walking down a hallway and then you can run down the hallway behind him ... There are going to be visions arcs then, but they just don't apply to you, I don't want to put them in for you ... Someone should be able to do that to you too theoretically, like you're walking down a hallway and then they can run up behind and either attack you or run down the hallway, but if we put in vision arcs strictly then you'll constantly have to stop and be paranoid about looking over your shoulder, and as realistic as that might be it would not be fun.
Thanks for this. I'll edit my comment accordingly.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: July 24, 2012, 05:25:17 pm »

And I'll un-green my quotation of your post accordingly :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: July 24, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »

There seemed to be tents in that video. Are tents implemented for Fortress Mode, or are they just thingies that pop up in military camps?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: July 24, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »

There seemed to be tents in that video. Are tents implemented for Fortress Mode, or are they just thingies that pop up in military camps?

I think its just implemented for Fort mode, but I do wonder how tents would work in fort mode... you'd probably need to build a tent as a building rather than as a construction, but it would (unlike normal buildings) have a roof over the top. Stuff falling on the roof of the tent would either break through or roll off though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:37 pm »

I think its just implemented for Fort mode, but I do wonder how tents would work in fort mode... you'd probably need to build a tent as a building rather than as a construction, but it would (unlike normal buildings) have a roof over the top. Stuff falling on the roof of the tent would either break through or roll off though.
Um, no, we don't know if Tents are in Fort Mod yet. The video posted were in Adventure Mode. And we don't know if the next release will mean that adventures will also have tents.

Considering the size of the tent as presented, I dont think Adventurers will be able to use them they can get horses and saddle backs or smaller wagon.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: July 25, 2012, 02:15:59 am »

goodness I have a question but I have no idea how to phrase it.

Toady I noticed that "Undead" is an actual faction within your game. Is this a placeholder or are all undead buddy buddy with eachother inadvertingly?

I could imagine it being unintentional mind you. For example if several undead creatures attacked with "Life Sense"...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: July 25, 2012, 03:16:35 am »

One side effect of that is that if you turn into a vampire, you can breeze through necro towers because only the necros themselves will attack you.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 748