Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3774821 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2520 on: June 24, 2012, 02:50:03 am »

Prediction with the combat rewrite: because you are allowed to make multiple attacks at the same time with a penalty to your chance to hit, and unconscious opponents always have opportunities maxed out, you will be able to use every available attack you have to simultaneously strike every downed opponent near you in the head with no chance of failure, finishing off half a dozen or more opponents in one turn.
I'm imagining a DDR player bending down to press all 4 arrows at once with hands and feet. Only, instead of pressing arrows, he's bashing in skulls.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: June 24, 2012, 02:54:04 pm »

how exactly will the penalties for multi-strikes be handled? do we have to expect the same penalty for kicking with both legs at the same time as for poking someones eyes with the index and the middle finger simultaneously? is there a difference in penalty for attacking 2 different people with 1 attack each or 1 person with 2 attacks?

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:16 pm »

how exactly will the penalties for multi-strikes be handled? do we have to expect the same penalty for kicking with both legs at the same time as for poking someones eyes with the index and the middle finger simultaneously? is there a difference in penalty for attacking 2 different people with 1 attack each or 1 person with 2 attacks?

Hmm... It would only be realistic to have the two-legged kick be easier than the eye poke, seeing as dwarven wrestling is basically the result of cross-breeding Chuck Fu and Kirkrate...
Anyway, I doubt it, it would be rather difficult for the game to determine which limbs are easier  used together in which way than others. If Toady did that, he would most likely have to add a lot of stuff to the raws.
As for splitting the attacks up on one or two persons, I don't know, but I suspect it would be the same penalty.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: June 24, 2012, 04:40:33 pm »

wouldn't turning the lists of dwarven body parts into an actual object (with orientations and distances and that can interact with another, also moving list of body parts) would be a huge tangent for Toady right now?

Hesuchia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: June 24, 2012, 04:52:38 pm »

we have stats for that, Kinaesthetic Sense and Spatial Sense.
True, but attributes like that seem very background-mechanic-y and general than a specific skill.  Like, we have a wrestling skill for grappling where those stats plus Strength, Endurance, etc would apply. I think ambidextry would be nice, though maybe based on some kind of in-born trait (since it is difficult to learn to use your off-hand effectively for some people). It could be learned but slower for impatient dwarves and strongly capped for clumsy ones, etc. Though we probably need a foolproof fix for those military equipment bugs before any of that would be feasible :P.

It would be interesting to make 'assassin-style' boots with retractable blades or even just studs that could provide bonuses to damage from kicks specifically. Steel-toed boots would need strength to be wieldable and more to be usable and effective in combat :o. Heck now I'm starting to think even a "kick-boxing" type of skill would be kind of badass >.>.

Monsters with multiple arms like octopi could just have an even chance with all their arms (or preferred arm(s) if Toady really wanted).

Now I'm dreaming of an elite assassin squad that can sneak behind an enemy, break their necks, and beat-down the rest of the squad in an emergency ;). Ninja-dwarves.

Will there be ninja-dwarves? >.>

If not, once the combat update is out, I'm probably learning to mod :).

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: June 24, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »

Toady, you talked about penalties when attempting to attack with two weapons, or two targets simultaneously. Does that mean the entrance of some "ambidextry" or "multitasking" skills ?
I'm pretty sure he means "trainable skill."
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: June 24, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »

Toady, you talked about penalties when attempting to attack with two weapons, or two targets simultaneously. Does that mean the entrance of some "ambidextry" or "multitasking" skills ?
Yes, I'm pretty sure too, although stats can develop I was thinking of something more direct and less coincidental.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: June 24, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »

Will there be ninja-dwarves? >.>

If not, once the combat update is out, I'm probably learning to mod :).

There will be stealth and fancy moves:
Quote from: dev.html
Breaking into fortified locations

Having locations alerted, being able to yell for help
    Disguises and impersonation through use of entity uniforms
    Closed doors and passwords
    Sneaking mechanics
        Making hiding impossible in wide open areas (at least in adv mode)
        Vision arcs for patrolling guards
    Gagging people and tying them up
    Allowing constructions to burn, use of kindling/hay/etc. where reasonable
    Responding properly to personal fire issues (all modes)
    Fleeing burning buildings
    Fighting fire (all modes)
    Designation to set item or tile on fire in dwarf mode

Combat styles

Combat styles involving weapons or natural attacks with associated stances and moves
    Ability to learn moves, etc. from others with whom you have a high enough reputation
    Certain moves may only be available as specific counters, while others might just be regular attacks
    Ability to create new moves/styles when highly skilled

However, none of that is currently planned for the immediate upcoming version.  Even when it's implemented, the term "Ninja" won't show up in-game without player intervention.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: June 25, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »

So does this release make much progress to us being able to start cracking some 'eads together? (From multiple grappled creatures I mean, rather than like an ettin or hydra.)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:42 am »

Not to complain- I like the new release, but I think that the process of building minecart tracks and setting up routes isn't intuitivve enough. The game doesn't really explain (or make obvious) the uses of the different parts, like rollers (I KNOW what they are for, by the way.). New players may be unaware that the tracks need rollers to work properly (Wait... Do they? This might be a bug...). In fact, the ONLY reason that I am aware that rollers are supposed to go with the tracks is because they appeared in the SAME release as the minecarts. New players wouldn't be aware of that, unless they studied the Wiki.

Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work!!!

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #2530 on: June 26, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »

New players wouldn't be aware of that, unless they studied the Wiki.

This could be said about almost every aspect of Dwarf Fortress.  The Wiki is practically the instruction manual.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: June 26, 2012, 01:47:54 pm »

New players may be unaware that the tracks need rollers to work properly (Wait... Do they? This might be a bug...).

I have never used rollers and have never had a problem. I just have them guide on the way up and push on the way down (Only one minecart-related accident so far!).

No, the main problem is that you need to put track stops on top of tracks; both being constructions, this is pretty counter-intuitive.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:28 pm »

Kins. and Spatial are trainable. Both also affect combat rolls even now.
The stuff Toady is talking about in the devlog now is just the kind of thing they're made for.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: June 26, 2012, 07:20:12 pm »

Can we have a choice in where to throw an opponent when wrestling? I was playing around in the arena as a bronze colossus, namely skipping elves across lakes and bowling with kobolds against racks of elves. I realized that throwing is completely random, one time I did a Newton's Cradle-style thing where I threw my kobold ball to the left instead of up and he hit the middle one, sent him flying to the right, who then slammed into the right one and sent him flying where he then skidded across the floor multiple times. Just now I threw an elf to my right into myself, which made me realize how much we need it the option of choosing our throwing direction...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: June 26, 2012, 09:41:03 pm »

This seems to actually be a step towards having the Combat system start

Where every move has an effect on your reaction time and sense of balance.

Toady will you be combining movement and attacks into one for specific attacks like charges, tackles, and moving stabs in this release? Will that actually be a thing?

It would be a great way to make some huge creatures more threatening against hoards of small monsters.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 748