Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814009 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2505 on: June 22, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »

With the whole multiple attacks stuff does that mean that we can have 4 armed warriors quadruple wield weapons and have them fight better than a warrior with only 2? What about someone with 2 swords and 2 shields?
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:42 pm »

Very well.

Everyone interested in defeating a horse in melee, which is indeed a challenging endeavour, should look at this thread specifically made for combatting equines.

The thread is ►here◄.
I'm serious. Check it out. And, if you want to further discuss horses, use it!

I'm quite disappointed, I thought people had already opened a thread to discuss this question in the past and you had dug it up. Well, that sets up the situation for the next time we talk about mounted fight I guess.
So, in a few months (maybe) when Toady starts working on mounts and the derail happens again, we'll have that thread.

Peacemaker636

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: June 22, 2012, 06:45:00 pm »

If not, are there currently plans to add anything like this into combat?

I think that sort of thing falls under this, from the dev page:
Mounts

Movement speeds, turning and inertia
    Combat effects (velocity addition, body part selection, trampling)

It was also brought up in DF talk 9:
Toady:   So it's not a hard problem, I think we can have pretty cool velocities for the horses, and then you can do stuff like having the velocity of your animal add to the velocity of the strike - the strikes all have velocity numbers now anyway - it's just a trivial kind of one-line thing to tag that on there.

Oh I only looked in the "Combat" section, not the mounts.  Thanks for the answer!  I de-greened the question as I think it's been adequately answered.

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: June 22, 2012, 07:08:27 pm »

And while we're on the subject of nonlethal combat, are there any plans to reduce the lethality of blows to the head? So that a heavy fist upside the head would be more likely to just render one unconscious most of the time? It would certainly make hand-to-hand and brawling a lot more fun, IMO.
Yes. Blows to the head came up in DF Talk #13 at least:
The tavern release will have non-lethal fighting because there'll be bar fights and we don't want bar fights to be like 'You punch him in the face, jamming the skull into the brain, killing him instantly' or whatever. We're going to have to change combat a bit to make fist fights work because right now fist fights are way too dangerous, but it should work out in the end.
Probably nonlethal "most of the time" would be fine, but Toady shouldn't overdo it.  That said, as I understand it, head striking hard ground is the fatal blow more often than the punch itself in these cases.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: June 22, 2012, 07:14:39 pm »

Will things like evil weather be tracked when off screen/cross-region? As it is, it seems that it only queues up the evil weather to run it's course when you enter the area it's designated for. I thought this might go hand-in-hand with continuing history since weather events may play a part in this, at some point. The end result would be something like: If you embark in an area that rains a repulsive sludge, the ground will already be covered with it if it has been raining it there for some time. As opposed to: You embark in the area, and it is completely clean of sludge, but it quickly becomes covered with it when it rains. It doesn't make sense for time to freeze in terms of this kind of weather in some areas until you get there.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: June 22, 2012, 07:40:32 pm »

Will things like evil weather be tracked when off screen/cross-region? As it is, it seems that it only queues up the evil weather to run it's course when you enter the area it's designated for. I thought this might go hand-in-hand with continuing history since weather events may play a part in this, at some point. The end result would be something like: If you embark in an area that rains a repulsive sludge, the ground will already be covered with it if it has been raining it there for some time. As opposed to: You embark in the area, and it is completely clean of sludge, but it quickly becomes covered with it when it rains. It doesn't make sense for time to freeze in terms of this kind of weather in some areas until you get there.

I don't think there's weather events in world gen, the kind of thing you are talking about is actually "populating the biome" or "local terrain generation" or something along those lines. Anyway, it's not related to world gen. Also, it's a really minor thing Toady hopefully doesn't get sidetracked on now.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: June 23, 2012, 04:27:06 am »

I don't think there's weather events in world gen, the kind of thing you are talking about is actually "populating the biome" or "local terrain generation" or something along those lines. Anyway, it's not related to world gen. Also, it's a really minor thing Toady hopefully doesn't get sidetracked on now.
Well, I said "since whether events may a part in this (history), at some point." Since in the future there will hopefully be natural disasters and the like to be accounted for. But yes, it is a very minor.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: June 23, 2012, 10:39:31 am »

I was fairly certain the reasons for the lack of a devlog were the ones stated in the new devlog entry, but it's always nice to have the confirmation. Having once tried to set up a combat system myself, I can easily imagine how much code is involved. Especially given the complexities in comparison to my own.

Looking forward to being able to be a D&D 3.5 dual-wielding ranger in DF. :)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: June 23, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

Quote from: devlog
I did manage to explode myself by having a goblin load up five overlapping swings with the same sword that all struck in erroneous and rapid succession.

Pulping?  Probably not, but a man can dream.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: June 23, 2012, 12:25:02 pm »

Quote from: devlog
I did manage to explode myself by having a goblin load up five overlapping swings with the same sword that all struck in erroneous and rapid succession.

Pulping?  Probably not, but a man can dream.

Sounds more like the goblin cut off all possible limbs, and they all flew off in a bloody arc, giving the "explosion" effect similar as when creature hits a wall.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2515 on: June 23, 2012, 01:51:20 pm »

it'd be a great time for pulping, what with charging horses and crashing minecarts, every scenario is in place.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: June 23, 2012, 01:52:38 pm »

Armok... the combat system rehaul is looking incredibly awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: June 23, 2012, 06:11:38 pm »

Prediction with the combat rewrite: because you are allowed to make multiple attacks at the same time with a penalty to your chance to hit, and unconscious opponents always have opportunities maxed out, you will be able to use every available attack you have to simultaneously strike every downed opponent near you in the head with no chance of failure, finishing off half a dozen or more opponents in one turn.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: June 23, 2012, 06:47:29 pm »

Toady, you talked about penalties when attempting to attack with two weapons, or two targets simultaneously. Does that mean the entrance of some "ambidextry" or "multitasking" skills ?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: June 23, 2012, 07:05:51 pm »

we have stats for that, Kinaesthetic Sense and Spatial Sense.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 748