Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3801401 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2175 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:59 pm »

It'll probably be a total rewrite of the way veins work.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »

This is a bit of a complicated question.

1. Toady, do you have any plans as to when (i.e. which caravan arc release) you will reintroduce dark fortresses, mountain halls, and forest retreats?
2. If not, what kinds of things will you add before reintroducing them? I recall you saying that forest retreats would probably wait for multi-tile trees, but are there similar "requirements" for before you re-add in mountain halls and dark fortresses?
3. Once you add them back in, how much will mountain halls, dark fortresses, and forest retreats benifet from the sorts of changes you made to towns?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: May 23, 2012, 10:25:04 pm »

1. By the time the caravan arc is over. Toady doesn't do timelines :P
2. Probably multi-layer veins for mountain halls and I'm not sure for dark fortresses.
3. Probably lots. I'd be interested in seeing underground markets.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25:35 pm »

I'd really like to see as much raw-control over the new city types as possible, though.  I hope that we can have the ability to mod distinct civs that have slight variations in architecture.  In fact, I'd like to see a control where you can have civs procedurally react to different climates or other stimuli where they will build their houses one way in hot climates and another way in cold climates (like having steeply sloped roofs in places where heavy snowfall occurs). 

For that matter, I'd like to see more rules for the procedural generation of the caverns, so that they don't all look so much alike.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: May 24, 2012, 02:16:28 am »

I'd really like to see as much raw-control over the new city types as possible, though.  I hope that we can have the ability to mod distinct civs that have slight variations in architecture.  In fact, I'd like to see a control where you can have civs procedurally react to different climates or other stimuli where they will build their houses one way in hot climates and another way in cold climates (like having steeply sloped roofs in places where heavy snowfall occurs). 

For that matter, I'd like to see more rules for the procedural generation of the caverns, so that they don't all look so much alike.

We probably won't see that until after we see the first script-able procedural creature generators at the very least. Toady still needs to actually figure out a standard by which to structure whatever kind of script he comes up with for that.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: May 24, 2012, 03:23:23 am »

If he comes up with one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:01 am »

We probably won't see that until after we see the first script-able procedural creature generators at the very least. Toady still needs to actually figure out a standard by which to structure whatever kind of script he comes up with for that.
If he comes up with one.

Which is why I'd like to bring the topic up from time-to-time.  This whole thing would be much easier if he builds the procedural rules while keeping in mind the notion that he would want to make this raw-modifiable eventually, if not from the outset. 

We have some control over how caverns are formed in the worldgen options, after all, so having some parameters for player control isn't unprecedented, here. 

Raw-editable changes to the procedures for generating procedural creatures would be nice, and all, but changes to the way procedural citybuilding (or, say, procedural magic systems) takes place would have a much greater impact upon the ability for the player to really make their worlds feel different and reactive to the way they set their worlds up.

One of the major reasons I stopped modding DF was that I really couldn't create any sort of civ or creatures that weren't basically just humans or dwarves, because the game just isn't built to handle anything but dwarves with slight variations. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 24, 2012, 07:50:10 pm »

1. Toady, do you have any plans as to when (i.e. which caravan arc release) you will reintroduce dark fortresses, mountain halls, and forest retreats?
Unless something has changed since he last discussed it, there is no plan that specific.
2. If not, what kinds of things will you add before reintroducing them? I recall you saying that forest retreats would probably wait for multi-tile trees, but are there similar "requirements" for before you re-add in mountain halls and dark fortresses?
He has not mentioned any other requirements. It is reasonable to assume that none are particularly large endeavors, at least not on the level of multi-tile trees.
3. Once you add them back in, how much will mountain halls, dark fortresses, and forest retreats benifet from the sorts of changes you made to towns?
It is probable that they will be quite different, to the extent that most layout code won't be reused, but code regarding the tracking of goods and whatnot will probably be the same.
[/quote]
1. By the time the caravan arc is over. Toady doesn't do timelines :P
Toady does timelines. There's one on the dev page right now. It doesn't include non-human cities, but it's going to be reworked. It would be accurate to say that Toady doesn't stick closely to his timelines, however.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 24, 2012, 07:51:19 pm »

No, I mean "in x weeks" or "in x months".

His timelines are "a while" and "soon".

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 24, 2012, 09:49:06 pm »

With the definition of "soon" being "the next year or so"

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 25, 2012, 12:31:06 am »

All devs are generally pretty notorious for that.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: May 25, 2012, 03:28:50 am »

All devs are generally pretty notorious for that.

Most notably Valve: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: May 27, 2012, 12:09:35 am »

I guess I have a question for Toady

Toady have you ever felt like you would rather keep a placeholder in the game as it was, instead of doing the planned updates later? I am actually reminded of the Good and Evil lands and how you actually seem to have a more solid idea of how they work then the planned Sphere lands.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 27, 2012, 09:24:13 pm »

Quote from: devlog
wall/floodgate/etc. builders often make more reasonable decisions about where to stand to avoid walling themselves in

builders make reasonable decisions to avoid walling themselves in

builders avoid walling themselves in

<builds temple of the Great Toad>
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:28:25 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: May 27, 2012, 09:29:18 pm »

I... but.... what... HOW!

No, really, how do wall/floodgate/etc builders make a decision about where to stand?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 748