Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813564 times)

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2012, 11:30:34 am »

One for Baughn:

Is it possible to make the macro function wait during the sleep/wait screen? Combine it with repeat and you have a way of "fast-forwarding" the world. You'll have to edit out hunger but still, it'd be nice to be able to pass the time!

red_29A

• Bay Watcher
  • [DO_NOT_CULL]
    • View Profile
    • Nexus Page
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2012, 04:56:36 pm »

My best fortress was called The Sweet Sweet Anus. And my most recent one was The Crotch of Sluts. So you can imagine my disappointment when i tried to name my new fort. Still, best game ever! There was a 16 month period encompassing the year 2008 where i played DF for 8-10 hours a day... i can quit anytime... tomorrow... Also Toady, if you need a butler/man-servant for cooking and cleaning and any/all of real-life's chores, let me know. i make a mean omelette and can fry bacon to various degrees of crispyness.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2012, 10:06:52 pm »

Are there plans to separate coffers and bags in the near future? I can macro cabinet and bed placement no problems, but coffers have to be done by hand if I don't want to waste my supply of bags.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
  • Cries when friends don't like DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:12 am »

I'm realitivly new to Dwarf Fortess and im really addicted to the game, and I know multiplayer has been discussed before but ive never heard toadies opinions on it, cause multiplayer seems like it would just add to the chaos that is dwarf fortess, i could just imagine a co-op mode with my friends
Me:Hey why arn't the dwarves working on the wall
Friend: oh because i told them to make a statue of a penis
Me: WHAT! but we need the wall to protect us from zombie camels
Friend: well maybe if you hadn't chosen a haunted area for our fortress we wouldn't have zombie camels.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2012, 06:26:51 am »

I'm realitivly new to Dwarf Fortess and im really addicted to the game, and I know multiplayer has been discussed before but ive never heard toadies opinions on it, cause multiplayer seems like it would just add to the chaos that is dwarf fortess, i could just imagine a co-op mode with my friends
Me:Hey why arn't the dwarves working on the wall
Friend: oh because i told them to make a statue of a penis
Me: WHAT! but we need the wall to protect us from zombie camels
Friend: well maybe if you hadn't chosen a haunted area for our fortress we wouldn't have zombie camels.
There is no intent for Dwarf Fortress to have multiplayer capability natively, but you can do the sort of thing that you describe using TelNet.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:21 am »

A sort of multiplayer has been developed with one full time server currently running.

just one peice of advice, be respectful and use chat to coordinate, everyone's commands go in together.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:31 pm »

We drew up some crayon rewards and I'm trying to stay on top of email, but I'm currently losing that fight, he he he. I didn't spend much time on bugs today, but a lot of the embark crashes and adamantine spires and weirdness should be fixed for next time (thanks to Lightning4 for spotting the bad data files).
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Oh well, it was going to be fixed eventually.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:04 pm »

My best fortress was called The Sweet Sweet Anus. And my most recent one was The Crotch of Sluts. So you can imagine my disappointment when i tried to name my new fort. Still, best game ever! There was a 16 month period encompassing the year 2008 where i played DF for 8-10 hours a day... i can quit anytime... tomorrow... Also Toady, if you need a butler/man-servant for cooking and cleaning and any/all of real-life's chores, let me know. i make a mean omelette and can fry bacon to various degrees of crispyness.

Language raws are moddable.

If you want, you can go through UrbanDictionary, adding everything you find, and set up a fort in Dirty Sanchezblooper the Cleavland Steamers of Donkey Show. It's just... only people who mod that in will get those things.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:47 pm »

Toady, there are reports on the modding forum that any Secret not able to raise the dead will result in wizards/things not able to build towers. Is this is a bug? Could this perhaps be because you linked up the whole 'undead minions' with 'towers' in the code? Even if some code/worldgen limitation prevents them from having towers, is there any chance that you might put in a tag so you could choose to have Secret-creatures dwell in a hut  in the middle of nowhere, or a cave, go back and pretend to be a god, or just live in the forest instead? Those all seem like low hanging fruit, and might enable them to actually have apprentices, so stock-necromancers wouldn't just be over-running everything, which is what happens currently. This is probably on the bottom of the priority list though, sadly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:44:40 pm by lastofthelight »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2012, 05:54:31 pm »

Toady, there are reports on the modding forum that any Secret not able to raise the dead will result in wizards/things not able to build towers. Is this is a bug? Could this perhaps be because you linked up the whole 'undead minions' with 'towers' in the code? Even if some code/worldgen limitation prevents them from having towers, is there any chance that you might put in a tag so you could choose to have Secret-creatures dwell in a hut  in the middle of nowhere, or a cave, go back and pretend to be a god, or just live in the forest instead? Those all seem like low hanging fruit, and might enable them to actually have apprentices, so stock-necromancers wouldn't just be over-running everything, which is what happens currently. This is probably on the bottom of the priority list though, sadly.

I saw some speculation (on other forums, I think) that worldgen only uses the first secret on the list or something.  If that's the case, it's a bug and should be reported.  It certainly wouldn't be surprising if a bug like that slipped through.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2012, 05:56:21 pm »

That's one of the hardcoded things among the new night creatures, towers and the workforce needed to build them (fifty, I think Toady said). It's really unfortunate, too. Towers seem that they could have been lairs, the number of servants needed to create one a lair characteristic, writing books a creature habit... but well, there's more releases to come, so with any luck that'll move over with time. I guess it is also a problem that this leads to a proliferation of creature effect tokens and CE subtokens.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2012, 08:04:14 pm »

Don't forget, the magic arc is one of the longer-term development goals. We might get little bits and pieces of magicy goodness here and there, but the bulk of it will probably happen later rather than sooner.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
  • Cries when friends don't like DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2012, 08:32:59 pm »

Unless im missing something with dfterms, I belive the controls were similar to if i had just plugged a second keyboard into my computer and tried to have my friend use the other, but were controling the same cursor.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2012, 09:02:58 pm »

Unless im missing something with dfterms, I belive the controls were similar to if i had just plugged a second keyboard into my computer and tried to have my friend use the other, but were controling the same cursor.

Correct; the game isn't meant for true multiplayer, so the dfterm workaround basically lets several people access one instance of the game and share control over it.  The players have to agree on how they will share the game (either by taking turns or what have you), and only one fortress can be played at a time (rather than running multiple sites that interact with each other).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2012, 12:47:12 am »

also consider this, single player crashes 'gaming computers' (the real problem being gaming computers are GPU heavy stead of CPU but i digress).

multi-player would make supercomputers cry.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 748