Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813149 times)

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11055 on: June 25, 2014, 11:03:49 pm »

Sometimes you just want to grab somebody and scream "what's going on?!"
And then they list all 398  cultural events that led to the  brawl today.  In ascending order of magnitude.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:12 pm »

And then they list all 398  cultural events that led to the  brawl today.  In ascending order of magnitude.

Descending. "They think crafstmanship is worthless, don't think family is worth much, think artwork is not worth its time" ... "do not find nature that disturbing, consider fairness unimportant and they are in general not nice to each other."

(you can check out the new Entity Values here)

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: June 25, 2014, 11:53:31 pm »

Descending. "They think crafstmanship is worthless, don't think family is worth much, think artwork is not worth its time" ... "do not find nature that disturbing, consider fairness unimportant and they are in general not nice to each other."

(you can check out the new Entity Values here)
In the summer of 15,  the human Eric Ancestorguy spat upon the dwarf Obol Fatherofmany.
 In the summer of 15,  the dwarf  Obol Fatherofmany started a  fistfight with the human Eric Ancestorguy.
 (continues for ten pages)
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: June 26, 2014, 10:04:41 am »

What I see going on here is an artifact of how blood sense is implemented. Blood sense allows a creature to "see" others through solid objects. However, it appears to not respect the media through which said sense is detected.
 So, this means that they can sense a living creature through solid objects, regardless of line of sight, with equal range as through open space. I imagine calculating vision through media will likely not see any major change until light and vision at large are reworked substantially.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:57 am »

Will wind affect scent at all?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: June 26, 2014, 11:08:34 am »

Yes.

Site riling now includes little groups that try to track you down after the rumor has gotten around that you've done something bad. As part of finishing that up, I also handled some older promises I had written down regarding smell and low-light vision. The wind is involved, and creatures with a keen sense of smell, including elven adventurers, can detect creatures nearby in the proper windy direction. There's no blood-houndy types of scent trails yet (though there are the other kinds of trails). Animated corpses can be smelled even by humans if the wind is right, though there's a whole set of ambient smells that are not in the game yet and won't be this time.

Don't the night creatures get the NOFEAR tag from their transformation? If it is true, then it certainly looks like bug, because they are supposed to be afraid of nothing aren't they?
I'd need to check some generated raws, but it's quite possible that the troll/hag type night creatures don't have that tag. Remember there's different types of night creatures.

Ed: Yeah, they have NOFEAR.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:33:37 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: June 26, 2014, 07:44:32 pm »

Yes.

Site riling now includes little groups that try to track you down after the rumor has gotten around that you've done something bad. As part of finishing that up, I also handled some older promises I had written down regarding smell and low-light vision. The wind is involved, and creatures with a keen sense of smell, including elven adventurers, can detect creatures nearby in the proper windy direction. There's no blood-houndy types of scent trails yet (though there are the other kinds of trails). Animated corpses can be smelled even by humans if the wind is right, though there's a whole set of ambient smells that are not in the game yet and won't be this time.

Don't the night creatures get the NOFEAR tag from their transformation? If it is true, then it certainly looks like bug, because they are supposed to be afraid of nothing aren't they?
I'd need to check some generated raws, but it's quite possible that the troll/hag type night creatures don't have that tag. Remember there's different types of night creatures.

Ed: Yeah, they have NOFEAR.

Thanks man.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:52 am »

So in fact there are two bugs. First that they fear despite having NOFEAR tag (possibly due to interactions of new personality system with old tags). Second that they are able to sense blood at unreasonable range and circumstances (zilion tons of rock between them and monsters in the deep).

Third possible bug IMO worth checking: someone running in fear should not always climb up nearby tree and sit there until starved. Ooh, I think I found new cause of Yet Another Stupid Dwarf Death.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:44:42 pm by reality.auditor »
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11063 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »

Third possible bug IMO worth checking: someone running in fear should not always climb up nearby tree and sit there until starved. Ooh, I think I found new cause of Yet Antorher Stupid Dwarf Death.
I think dwarves make periodic pathing attempts using the more expensive method that includes climbing and jumping in the new version, so unless the source of the danger remains under the tree, the dwarf will eventually be able to climb down or at least fall to his death. And, well, if the forgotten beast Murderous Dwarfious decides to camp under the tree you've taken refuge on and starts barking at you, I think staying on that tree might be a good idea. Unless it can climb. Then your dwarf will either have to learn to fly or jump.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:26 pm »

Urist McCat got stuck in the tree again, somebody call the fire station.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:40 pm »

Once an enemy surrenders to you in combat, what options do you have besides killing/leaving them?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:59:14 pm by CaptainLambcake »
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: June 27, 2014, 08:27:15 pm »

Once an enemy surrenders to you in combat, what options do you have besides killing/leaving them?

Greened the question for you. If you want Toady One to answer, you should make it green (lime green also works). Just letting you know.

The release is coming pretty dang soon, so we'll find out soon enough. Still a good question though.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: June 27, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »

I think punching them unconscious was mentioned somewhere. But might be just a dream or something.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: June 27, 2014, 08:59:30 pm »

Greened the question for you. If you want Toady One to answer, you should make it green (lime green also works). Just letting you know.

The release is coming pretty dang soon, so we'll find out soon enough. Still a good question though.

Thanks man, I fixed it up myself too, completely forgot about greening it.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: June 28, 2014, 08:30:01 am »

How specific can we expect conversations to be? Will we have a word for word rendition of what was said, or will we receive more of a text summary of the conversation?

I also wanted to ask a question about your future plans that I've been really interested in knowing your opinion on.
Can we expect to see more variation between the layouts of towns and villages in the future? IE: One village has a keep and a bread mill, but the one a couple miles over has a palisade and a general store.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:32:57 am by Verdant_Squire »
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 748