Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3804590 times)

itruelso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10890 on: June 06, 2014, 06:49:21 pm »

What determines if a dwarf notices furniture? Does it happen every time they walk past a statue?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10891 on: June 06, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »

<-snip->
Thanks for the answer. I remember reading something about this before but I thought it was more an inquiry into the current state than about what the state would be in the next release.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: June 07, 2014, 05:37:20 am »

Will magic & ranged combat get as detailed as melee combat?

I like how you can attack specific parts of the enemy, down to the backs of their teeth, and with the reaction moments in the upcoming version it'll get even better.

While ranged combat (and necromancy?) is basically just pointing at a target and hoping it works.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: June 07, 2014, 05:47:55 am »

I like how you can attack specific parts of the enemy, down to the backs of their teeth, and with the reaction moments in the upcoming version it'll get even better.

While ranged combat (and necromancy?) is basically just pointing at a target and hoping it works.

I think it would be unfair to say that it won't. Being able to target specific bodyparts with throwing/shooting would go a long way, though, even though the results of hitting someone are equally detailed as when using melee...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: June 07, 2014, 04:22:09 pm »

Not yet:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: DarkDXZ
Also, slightly unrelated, but are there plans for aimed ranged attacks (firing and throwing), so that we aren't just hoping that we hit something worth hitting?

I'm all for being able to aim at what you want to aim at, and it's the kind of thing I imagine will happen fairly early on next time I mess with ranged combat, but I don't know when that'll be.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: June 07, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »

What happens with the individual population when you decide to declare lordship over a site? Do they have differing views, or is it a unanimous yes/no response?

Also:
Quote from: The Devlog
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Was your first clue the mermaid farms or the demon checkers?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: June 07, 2014, 09:52:52 pm »

I think he meant that particular adventurer gamesave.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: June 07, 2014, 10:17:10 pm »

I think he meant that particular adventurer gamesave.

You're probably right.

raler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: June 08, 2014, 01:38:18 am »

He said asking to be employed as a guard does that mean we can get jobs like that

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: June 08, 2014, 04:03:35 am »

What happens with the individual population when you decide to declare lordship over a site? Do they have differing views, or is it a unanimous yes/no response?
Your site claim is not recognized unless you "control" the main building of the site (keep, mead hall, etc). The population, for the time being at least, doesn't care much, but has its own share of opinions. The 12/12/13 devlog tells much of the story:

Spoiler: spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

He said asking to be employed as a guard does that mean we can get jobs like that
Yes, you'll be able to work as a guard/troublemaker for site leaders. You can also start your adventurer as one.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: June 08, 2014, 09:30:55 am »

Your site claim is not recognized unless you "control" the main building of the site (keep, mead hall, etc). The population, for the time being at least, doesn't care much, but has its own share of opinions. The 12/12/13 devlog tells much of the story:

Spoiler: spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

Yes, you'll be able to work as a guard/troublemaker for site leaders. You can also start your adventurer as one.

How is main building defined? For instance, if I abandon a fortress and then try reclaiming it as an adventurer, what should I occupy?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: June 08, 2014, 09:32:32 am »

How is main building defined? For instance, if I abandon a fortress and then try reclaiming it as an adventurer, what should I occupy?

Mayor/Baron/Count/Duke/Monarch's chambers/office?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: June 08, 2014, 10:00:10 am »

What the main building is is hard-coded for the different site types, most likely. For the human villages and towns, it's either the mead hall (which is returning), or the keep. A player-created fortress (most likely) won't have a main building, so you won't get an official chance to lord over them.

Quote from: Novel Scoops
Will adventurers be able to reclaim abandoned fortresses for their Civ through capturing the main building, such as a keep or mead hall? When goblins capture a dwarf fortress, is the site map converted to a goblin fortress template and vice versa? How long does this take? Will players be able to embark on recently conquered sites?
Quote from: Ribs
What happens if you attack the leader of one of your retired fortresses? Can you claim it with your adventurer? Can you claim dwarven fortresses at all?
If so,

Will there be some variation there, or will the dwarves from retired fortresses always be the more loyal types who will try very hard to kill your adventurer before surrendering?

What complications would occour from doing something like dethroning a dwarven king? Is that going to be possible? I imagine you would be able to take the dwarven capital by killing a whole bunch of people and making the king yield to you. But what happens then? Is it possible for your adventurer to aquire the title of king if he conquers enough dwarven settlements?

I think the way it "works" now, you could claim one of your retired fortresses, but it wouldn't actually know how to have it change hands, since there is no power location (at least not in a way that is currently understood by the adventure part of the game).  Abandoned fortresses don't have people in them, so you'd have to bring a companion along, state a claim to them, and then not have it recognized because there is no power location.  You can kill whomever, but you can't obtain the civ-level positions.  If you kill a monarch, you'll end up with a replacement, if there's a claimant around, or a lack of decision making -- which doesn't matter so much for dwarves, since they don't attack anybody yet.  I haven't allowed adventurers to place a claim on an existing entity position (they can only form a new entity with a new site claim), but you'll definitely be able to do that when we get into the meat of succession wars later.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: June 09, 2014, 07:57:53 am »

I was listening to the last DF talk from 2013 again. Do all the changes to the combat system that Toady talks about still apply forvthis release?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: June 09, 2014, 08:43:24 am »

What the main building is is hard-coded for the different site types, most likely. For the human villages and towns, it's either the mead hall (which is returning), or the keep. A player-created fortress (most likely) won't have a main building, so you won't get an official chance to lord over them.

Quote from: Novel Scoops
Will adventurers be able to reclaim abandoned fortresses for their Civ through capturing the main building, such as a keep or mead hall? When goblins capture a dwarf fortress, is the site map converted to a goblin fortress template and vice versa? How long does this take? Will players be able to embark on recently conquered sites?
Quote from: Ribs
What happens if you attack the leader of one of your retired fortresses? Can you claim it with your adventurer? Can you claim dwarven fortresses at all?
If so,

Will there be some variation there, or will the dwarves from retired fortresses always be the more loyal types who will try very hard to kill your adventurer before surrendering?

What complications would occour from doing something like dethroning a dwarven king? Is that going to be possible? I imagine you would be able to take the dwarven capital by killing a whole bunch of people and making the king yield to you. But what happens then? Is it possible for your adventurer to aquire the title of king if he conquers enough dwarven settlements?

I think the way it "works" now, you could claim one of your retired fortresses, but it wouldn't actually know how to have it change hands, since there is no power location (at least not in a way that is currently understood by the adventure part of the game).  Abandoned fortresses don't have people in them, so you'd have to bring a companion along, state a claim to them, and then not have it recognized because there is no power location.  You can kill whomever, but you can't obtain the civ-level positions.  If you kill a monarch, you'll end up with a replacement, if there's a claimant around, or a lack of decision making -- which doesn't matter so much for dwarves, since they don't attack anybody yet.  I haven't allowed adventurers to place a claim on an existing entity position (they can only form a new entity with a new site claim), but you'll definitely be able to do that when we get into the meat of succession wars later.
Toady, are there plans to define a power location for player (and non-player) forts, perhaps the office/study/throneroom of the highest rank dwarf?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 748