Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3801552 times)

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10860 on: June 04, 2014, 11:55:13 pm »

I just realized. In the next release, we're finally going to get to see NPC dwarves. As far as I remember, there's a bug preventing fortress born NPC critters from reaching full size. Does anyone know if this will still be in?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: June 05, 2014, 12:06:07 am »

Uh...I'm fairly certain that bug affects all fortress born critters. Not just animals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: June 05, 2014, 12:08:14 am »

It affects all creatures born after worldgen, not just fortress-born ones.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: June 05, 2014, 12:39:02 am »

Here's the bug report.  I don't think Toady mentioned fixing it, but I expect it'll get fixed in the post-release bugfixing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:41:04 am by Footkerchief »

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: June 05, 2014, 12:45:01 am »

*Tilts head*

But people aren't born outside of worldgen or a fort. Not yet anyway.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: June 05, 2014, 12:47:42 am »

With the separation of movement and attack speed being implemented does that also mean that Crossbow and Bow Users no longer stand planted in one spot while "reloading" their weapon? For example: Can an archer knock a new arrow while moving? If so is there a stat penalty or skill roll associated?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:09 am »

*Tilts head*

But people aren't born outside of worldgen or a fort. Not yet anyway.

If one were to be, they would be subject  to the bug all the same.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: June 05, 2014, 09:20:19 am »

With the separation of movement and attack speed being implemented does that also mean that Crossbow and Bow Users no longer stand planted in one spot while "reloading" their weapon? For example: Can an archer knock a new arrow while moving? If so is there a stat penalty or skill roll associated?

The next version will still force archers to reload immediately, but it'll be easier to change later on:
Quote from: Dae
Toady, will the next changes include a nerfing of crossbows, both overpowered in Fortress mode and on enemies and VERY inconvenient as a beginner adventurer due to the fact you automatically reload right after firing (instead of doing something more useful, like fleeing or dropping your crossbow and pulling out a sword) ?

I haven't changed them yet, but the special firing delay variable is up for the chopping block now that they can be merged with the other actions.  And yeah, that'll give us some more freedom, since we couldn't make the post-fire delay very slow in the old system.

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: June 05, 2014, 10:03:04 am »

As far as substantive releases go (adding new features as opposed to bug fixes), clearly some take longer than others.  It seems to be the case that there are shorter release cycles in which you make one or two substantive additions to the game, and others that involve some major structural change which necessitates rewriting numerous aspects of the code and, therefore, results in a longer development time to the release. 

How many major structural changes remain with DF that will require extended development cycles/release periods like the one that we are currently experiencing?  Can you list the remaining major structural changes to DF that you presently envision as necessary to complete DF 1.0?

Obviously, development plans change and some releases take longer than others, so I don't mean for this question to pin you down on any specific development plan or release schedule, but I think it would be encouraging to me and the community to hear that there is some discrete number of major structural changes that will happen leading up to DF 1.0, and each of these long release cycles does, in fact, complete some certain major structural elements, thereby reducing the number of future extended release cycles.
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: June 05, 2014, 10:22:25 am »

In the next release, will animal domestication persist across forts, so that if a fort falls or is abandoned after domesticating a species of animal, that animal will be domesticated in any subsequent forts in that world? Possibly even purchasable from caravans of your civ?
くコ:彡

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: June 05, 2014, 10:32:37 am »

In the next release, will animal domestication persist across forts, so that if a fort falls or is abandoned after domesticating a species of animal, that animal will be domesticated in any subsequent forts in that world? Possibly even purchasable from caravans of your civ?
That happens in the current version already.

When your dwarf caravan leaves, your civ now picks up a small portion of what you have learned about animal training for future forts.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: June 05, 2014, 10:38:08 am »

That happens in the current version already.

When your dwarf caravan leaves, your civ now picks up a small portion of what you have learned about animal training for future forts.
Yes, but I've been informed that basically doesn't do anything, just making training slightly easier in future forts. There's currently no way to get every single type of animal in one fort short of cheesing it and adding them all to the same biome.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: June 05, 2014, 10:44:03 am »

Yes, but I've been informed that basically doesn't do anything, just making training slightly easier in future forts. There's currently no way to get every single type of animal in one fort short of cheesing it and adding them all to the same biome.
Every single type of animal?  Are you expecting a big flood?

The problem seems to be that only a portion of the fort's knowledge is transferred to the Mountainhome.  It would take many, many caravans (years) to transfer everything, probably over the course of several different forts (because Fun happens).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10873 on: June 05, 2014, 10:48:58 am »

The problem seems to be that only a portion of the fort's knowledge is transferred to the Mountainhome.  It would take many, many caravans (years) to transfer everything, probably over the course of several different forts (because Fun happens).
From the wiki:
Although a number of farm animals are domesticated by your civilization from the beginning of the game, your fortress cannot individually "civilization-level" domesticate a species.1

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: June 05, 2014, 10:50:08 am »

Really? Interesting. Is there any way to test how long that takes? Does a larger sample size (i.e. more animals of that species) affect the amount of knowledge gained? Has anyone actually had a fort run long enough that they've managed to be able to purchase 'newly' domesticated species from the mountainhome?

I am currently in the process of replacing all [AQUATIC] with [AMPHIBIOUS] and all [IMMOBILE_LAND] with [PET_EXOTIC]. I am going to have the biggest zoo ever.

EDIT:

From the wiki:
Although a number of farm animals are domesticated by your civilization from the beginning of the game, your fortress cannot individually "civilization-level" domesticate a species.1
Ah dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 748