Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807967 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10275 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07:48 pm »

Moving on.

If you rescue an orphan, or if by some chance the parents that request your help die while you're at the goblin tower, is that child going to be embraced in someone's family, or at least going to be accepted in the community?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: April 19, 2014, 12:49:31 pm »

The first time I played Dwarf Fortress, I got my view stuck on the wrong Z-level when migrants arrived and didn't know how to navigate back to my fort, or even what exactly had happened. I guess a tutorial would have helped then, rather than purely reading the wiki like I did. On the other hand, it's not as hard as its reputation suggests, I think.
On my first fort ever, I figured out (eventually) that there were Z-levels, different layers, but couldn't figure out how to navigate between them. But I did figure out that using the U screen and zooming to a dwarf would bring me to the level they were on, so as long as they were on the level I wanted to go to I could navigate.
I didn't find < and > until two forts later. :P
I've got more experience than that now.

Maybe this should go in suggestions, but will there be a minor interface change to make < and > more visible in fort mode in the near future? Any interface changes in the near future?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:47 pm »

The first time I played Dwarf Fortress, I got my view stuck on the wrong Z-level when migrants arrived and didn't know how to navigate back to my fort, or even what exactly had happened. I guess a tutorial would have helped then, rather than purely reading the wiki like I did. On the other hand, it's not as hard as its reputation suggests, I think.
On my first fort ever, I figured out (eventually) that there were Z-levels, different layers, but couldn't figure out how to navigate between them. But I did figure out that using the U screen and zooming to a dwarf would bring me to the level they were on, so as long as they were on the level I wanted to go to I could navigate.
I didn't find < and > until two forts later. :P
I've got more experience than that now.

Maybe this should go in suggestions, but will there be a minor interface change to make < and > more visible in fort mode in the near future? Any interface changes in the near future?

Same experience when started playing: I WAS aware that the game was 3D, but playing on a laptop with a non-US keyboard made finding < and > NOT trivial. Also: most computers sold nowadays are laptops, missing the numeric keyboards, and the + and - signs are not near each other on them to say the least... So navigating the secondary menus is a bit of a nightmare until you figure out how to remap the keys.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10278 on: April 19, 2014, 01:26:59 pm »

What level of control do you foresee the player having over multi-tile trees?  Can the branches be trimmed topiary-style?  Can multi-tile plants be guided to grow in certain directions?  Can anything be built in or on them, like a little platform for a marksdwarf?

No trimming:
Quote from: Belvita
With the new multi-tile trees, will the physics cause the entire tree to fall down on the dwarf due to a missing base, or will the woodcutter cut branches/small bits off at a time? Basically, like cave-ins with removed supports, except it's a tree.

If the tree loses its base in some odd way, then the cave-in mechanics trigger the collapse.  The woodcutter does not operate tile by tile, but rather on the tree from where they are standing.  I haven't related the cave-in to tree toppling, and I'm not really sure if that's how it should work or not, since the circumstances are already strange when it happens (mostly partial branch drops from fire).  Trees can't currently be pruned.

You can prevent them from growing in certain directions with walls etc:
Quote from: smjjames
Question/thought partially related to the underwater trees bug (which might not even exist in the next version), how do multi-tile trees and cavern fungi deal with tight spaces like one tile wide corridors that would otherwise be too small for a tower cap with a 2x2 trunk to grow in? Do they just sort of force themselves into the space or simply not grow at all?

Trees start at one tile and they grow from there, so issues with blockage and all that haven't really changed.

There are many interface changes on the dev page.  Those are the ones that are planned.  And yeah, it's a suggestion.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: April 19, 2014, 05:38:50 pm »

What level of control do you foresee the player having over multi-tile trees?  Can the branches be trimmed topiary-style?  Can multi-tile plants be guided to grow in certain directions?  Can anything be built in or on them, like a little platform for a marksdwarf?

No trimming:
Quote from: Belvita
With the new multi-tile trees, will the physics cause the entire tree to fall down on the dwarf due to a missing base, or will the woodcutter cut branches/small bits off at a time? Basically, like cave-ins with removed supports, except it's a tree.

If the tree loses its base in some odd way, then the cave-in mechanics trigger the collapse.  The woodcutter does not operate tile by tile, but rather on the tree from where they are standing.  I haven't related the cave-in to tree toppling, and I'm not really sure if that's how it should work or not, since the circumstances are already strange when it happens (mostly partial branch drops from fire).  Trees can't currently be pruned.

You can prevent them from growing in certain directions with walls etc:
Quote from: smjjames
Question/thought partially related to the underwater trees bug (which might not even exist in the next version), how do multi-tile trees and cavern fungi deal with tight spaces like one tile wide corridors that would otherwise be too small for a tower cap with a 2x2 trunk to grow in? Do they just sort of force themselves into the space or simply not grow at all?

Trees start at one tile and they grow from there, so issues with blockage and all that haven't really changed.

There are many interface changes on the dev page.  Those are the ones that are planned.  And yeah, it's a suggestion.

And the Interface get changes to it, with every major release. The interface is not wholly static.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: April 19, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »

Will people able to notice when your doing something like necromancy? I find it a bit odd when I raise dozens of corpses and no one nearby knowing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:21:26 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10281 on: April 20, 2014, 10:01:19 pm »

Ooh, just about to get to the bug fixing phase, or the bug pile as Toady called it.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:07 am »

Ooh, just about to get to the bug fixing phase, or the bug pile as Toady called it.
Pray to Armok, because it is only chance in few years your "favourite" bug could be actually fixed.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: April 21, 2014, 04:55:30 am »

Pray to Armok, because it is only chance in few years your "favourite" bug could be actually fixed.

That bugfixing phase is still a bit off. First it'll just be the most obvious and critical new bugs, then post-release we'll get more newer bugs as they're discovered, then we'll start seeing older bugs get mixed in, possibly along with the job priorization rewrite.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:56 am »

Will retired adventurers be treated the same as normal histfigs?  Will they be able to set off into the wilds, become necromancers, marry, ascend to positions etc?

I'm mostly wondering if I'll be waylaid by a past adventurer who has become a bandit or if he might lead an attack on my fort or something hehe
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:42 am »

Will retired adventurers be treated the same as normal histfigs?  Will they be able to set off into the wilds, become necromancers, marry, ascend to positions etc?

I'm mostly wondering if I'll be waylaid by a past adventurer who has become a bandit or if he might lead an attack on my fort or something hehe

As far as I know the game doesn't make any difference between retired adventurers and other historical figures, so anything a historical figure can do, a retired adventurer should also be able to do. A quick search only gave me this, which is a bit too specific, but I'm sure someone more quote-skilled can find more ;P

Quote from: Eric Blank
Toady, if you could clarify: since retired adventurers become members of the civilization they retire in and are historical figures, does that mean they have a chance to be paired off to a marriage partner, move to their partner's town (or their partner to theirs) and raise children, just like any other historical figure?

Yeah, that's how the situation stands at this point.  I don't recollect placing any specific barriers for them.  It's the kind of thing that people might want to have some control over, but there's currently no mechanic in place to give you any control over their behavior.

Quote from: Putnam
Can adventurers become "villains" for fortress mode?

There are a few pathways right now, although not nearly enough.  Right now I think you'd need to do something like retire in a human town, and perhaps ascend to a leadership position, then you could siege your fort.  It might pull you up just for being a citizen as it stands, actually.  But we don't have things like banditry post world gen yet, outside of the harassment of non-player towns.  If your adventurer becomes a vampire and retires at a dwarf site, they could come to your fort and prey on your citizens.  They'd come with an alias too, so you'd probably have to pick them out by lingering gear or wounds or something.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10286 on: April 21, 2014, 09:32:03 am »

I'm sure someone more quote-skilled can find more
Read that as Footkerchief can find more. His search fu abilities regarding Toady and DF in general are truly awesome. He's the dragoon searcher.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: April 21, 2014, 09:54:45 am »

Read that as Footkerchief can find more. His search fu abilities regarding Toady and DF in general are truly awesome. He's the dragoon searcher.

Yeah, the winking smiley was aimed at him kind of. His memory must be quite something (that or he's got a secret perfectly organized document of every DF related info ever posted for easy quote finding) ^^

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10288 on: April 21, 2014, 10:21:21 am »

Don't be so pessimistic about it. A good deal of bugs will no longer exist, maybe your 'favorite' bug will no longer exist.

However, one should expect lots of new ones as well, especially with an upgrade this massive.

In adventure mode, can you grab things that arent equipped on you like branches in mid-jump? This is essential for something I want to try when the new release comes out.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: April 21, 2014, 10:26:58 am »

Yeah, the winking smiley was aimed at him kind of. His memory must be quite something (that or he's got a secret perfectly organized document of every DF related info ever posted for easy quote finding) ^^

I'm willing to bet on the latter, honestly, but wouldn't be surprised either way.
Meanwhile, HYPE INTENSIFIES!
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 748