Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807922 times)

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10260 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:09 pm »

Should mention that I'm looking forward to dealing with climbing and jumping enemies, to make Fort defenses a bit more interesting.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkïg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: April 18, 2014, 12:32:56 pm »

Same. My current system of walls, tunnels and fortifications becomes rather obsolete.

Well, time to improvise!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: April 18, 2014, 12:36:06 pm »

This sure will shake up the defense meta a fair bit, won't it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:49 pm »

Dwarf Fortress IS easy to play. Fortress and Adventure Mode. I first played it when I was 25 yo, while studying and working, and I only needed the "How to Survive your First Winter" tutorial in the wiki. I am far from being a genius, I have no Asperger's, and I hadn't (and still haven't) a lot of free time. What is needed to learn Dwarf Fortress? You have to want. It is certainly not a game that will play itself for you.
I'm not sure whether that's supposed to be a positive stereotype or negative stereotype. Anyway, please don't.
I was thinking of asking how he meant that as well at first, but decided not to (especially since in my case that stereotype is definitely true). But yeah, people do seem to easily get all emotional when it comes to stereotypes regardless of what kind, so it's probably best to not go there.

Go to some places in the internet, usually comment sections about Dwarf Fortress, and you will understand what I meant. Some say, or joke, that only people with Asperger's can learn Dwarf Fortress. Which obviously isn't true. I meant no offense to people with Aspergers and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

you're true. Asperger are too light-headed for DF.

What's that supposed to mean inarius? I have aspergers and I found the game as difficult as anybody else here.

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: April 18, 2014, 12:53:39 pm »

Yeah, climbing, jumping and multi-tile trees will be, for me at least, a major Fort Mode change.  Annnnd, in that vein, I searched all over for this and didn't find it, so will go ahead and ask (even though climbing has been covered ad nauseum):

Will we (or invaders) be able to climb up the side of furniture items that act as "walls" like Statues, Windows, Floodgates or Wall Grates?  Subquestion:  will building destroyers (trolls) be able to climb a wall and bust through an adjacent Window/Wall Grate or other blocking structure, thus making their way into the fortress proper?

My thinking is that, right now, flyers (Titans and FBs, specifically) don't break windows in walls if they can't land next to them.  But, if they can suddenly land on a wall..... that has serious implications for fort design.  Implications would be even more fun if climbers could do so as well.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: April 18, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »

We really don't need a derail about Asperger syndrome in the FotF thread.  Please stop now instead of forcing Toady to delete posts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: April 18, 2014, 01:16:33 pm »

Sorry if I missed this info elsewhere, but

What level of control do you foresee the player having over multi-tile trees?  Can the branches be trimmed topiary-style?  Can multi-tile plants be guided to grow in certain directions?  Can anything be built in or on them, like a little platform for a marksdwarf?

These techniques sound more elven than dwarven, but elves are planned as a far-future vanilla "fort" race.  Though it would probably take a dwarf to build a wood furnace in the branches of a tree.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: April 18, 2014, 03:45:54 pm »

What do you intend for the nuts and bolts of conversations?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: April 18, 2014, 09:39:27 pm »

What do you intend for the nuts and bolts of conversations?

Hmmm, well - True and false information will be the nuts and bolts of the new conversation system, which is an expansion on the old conversation system, which relied on raw information.("to the north is Whipshield, I would not go there, it is a place of great evil. Elf McElf was eaten by Megabeasts there." Geo information + evil biome information + local Legends information and voilà.)

Also, Caste is a major mechanic on conversations. Peasants, Knights, cave creatures, and Nobles will all react to a same situation differently according to the role they play.

And personality will play into it ... Most goblins don't like it when you burn down their villages, but maybe one with particularly low empathy and a lot of grudges actually likes what you've done to his friends, and strikes up a temporary partnership so he'll/she'll become the leader in the fallout of your murder-page.

There's probably hundreds more systems influencing the conversation system i'm not thinking of, and I bet people will add more. But I think those are the major "nuts & bolts" in play.

Did my answer help? The question was a bit vague.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:46:27 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: April 18, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »

We really don't need a derail about Asperger syndrome in the FotF thread.  Please stop now instead of forcing Toady to delete posts.

Hey, I'm not the one who brought it up, and I was responding to inarius's potential insult.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: April 18, 2014, 11:28:01 pm »

Don't do that, either.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: April 19, 2014, 12:05:27 am »

I'll drop the topic.....

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: April 19, 2014, 07:27:59 am »

The first time I played Dwarf Fortress, I got my view stuck on the wrong Z-level when migrants arrived and didn't know how to navigate back to my fort, or even what exactly had happened. I guess a tutorial would have helped then, rather than purely reading the wiki like I did. On the other hand, it's not as hard as its reputation suggests, I think.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: April 19, 2014, 10:30:13 am »

That was my only difficulty. I was unaware that the game was in 3D, and couldn't understand why my little smily faces kept disappearing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: April 19, 2014, 10:48:46 am »

What's that supposed to mean inarius? I have aspergers and I found the game as difficult as anybody else here.

Sorry for that misunderstanding. The first statement about this subject was a joke in form of "cliché" about Asperger (as it was said before in the thread, many people say that DF is a game for Asperger because of its great complexity and in relation to the capacity of Asperger to master very complex things easily, compared to non-Asperger), so I was replying by another joke cliché (alluding to the fact that even for them the game was too complex).

No offense about Aspis.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:57:05 am by Inarius »
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 748