Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Android  (Read 5255 times)

DirtPoacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Android
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »

Hello all, I have recently noticed that on the android market there is only one app related to Dwarf Fortress and it is a live wallpaper. No Tutorial's, forums, or anything. I did notice that the apple app store has at least some tutorials and things. I would maybe much like to see an Android Forum for Dwarf Fortress! :D Share your own opinions!
We enjoy warmth because we have been cold.
We appreciate light because we have been in darkness.
By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.
-David Weatherford

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Android
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:49 pm »

Not really. 

If you search on the forums, there are threads about getting DF working on Android  through remote desktop/SSH. It's almost certainly never going to be ported to be a native app (I say almost because there *is* a free, open-source way to compile Visual Studio code for Android.  It's VS 2010, though).

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »

I'd love to see some wiki stuff on Android. A grid-based fortress planner would be nice. One with export functions, mind you.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:51:24 pm by BigD145 »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:37 pm »

Cool, thanks for the tip.  Just installed the wallpaper and my phone is much more lively.  The only thing missing from this run away from goblins experience is an arrow in the head  ;D  If I ever teach myself android dev, some DF app would be right at the top of the list.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Aeltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »

Until mobile hardware is drastically improved, to the point of being as powerful as current day desktops or more, there is little chance DF would play well on a mobile platform.

However, DFterm should work just fine, though likely better on a tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:28 pm »

Not really. 

If you search on the forums, there are threads about getting DF working on Android  through remote desktop/SSH. It's almost certainly never going to be ported to be a native app (I say almost because there *is* a free, open-source way to compile Visual Studio code for Android.  It's VS 2010, though).

Until mobile hardware is drastically improved, to the point of being as powerful as current day desktops or more, there is little chance DF would play well on a mobile platform.

However, DFterm should work just fine, though likely better on a tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard.

When did anybody (in this thread) suggest porting DF to Android?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »

It would be nice to have something like stonesense or Therapist as an app that would sync with the game via WLAN :D