Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrants, and their histories  (Read 2790 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants, and their histories
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:10 pm »

So, I just got my first migrant wave.  The first three migrants are Ducim Konosthabost, Tanner, her son Vucar Olilnomal, and her husband Tosid Oddomstettad, the Ranger with 54 dwarf kills in Menacedspeck ... wait ... what?!

Checking his description, I find that:

Tosid Oddomstettad has been quite content lately. (figures ... he just got here)
He is married to Ducim Brassflares and has 6 children ... (ok, not a problem ... I happen to like children in the fortress) ... He is the son of Momuz Wonderbridge and Morul Tunneledgilt. (cool ... nice additional touch to their descriptions)
He is a citizen of The Violent Sacks.  He is a member of The Confident Bust.  (yup, thats us) He is a former member of The Razors of Distance. (... interesting) He is a former prisoner of The Copper Hate.  (wut?) He arrived at Ralokang on teh 24th of Hematite in the year 126.  (ooh, I like this addition)

So, was this guy a kidnapped child that was raised by gobbos, and then escaped after killing 54 dwarves only to be reaccepted into dwarven society, married and doing well enough to have had half a dozen rock-rats before emigrating and joining my new fortress?  If so, this is really neat! :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Migrants, and their histories
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:11:23 pm »

Urist McHasSeenthings is quite content lately.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:12:42 pm »

Can you hear that? That's the sound of some amazing stories brewing.

Huzzah for DFVD!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:48:26 pm »

Urist McHasSeenthings is quite content lately.

He wouldn't recommend it!

this is awesome.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:24 pm »

This new addition is wonderful. Love the little touches.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:39:18 pm »

... aaaaaand, i've abandoned because i apparently can't play this evening.  two dead miners and two with both legs broken (plus various other injuries), and an injured cat that was caught in the first cavein cloud (that suffocated my mason).

it seems that even when I try to do surface leveling correctly I miss little things like, say, a few trees that cause caveins when the ground under then is removed (upward ramp) then the ground around them.

On the semi-bright (or at least !!science!!) side, I have confirmed that Animal Caretaker still does NOT take care of injured animals.  :-\
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:51:11 pm »

I had a female dwarf with two entire pages of cousins. Apparently her grandparents had no less then ten kids. And her great-grandfather was apparently some sort of priest (with thirteen children) who got turned into a vampire after defiling a temple and has now murdered 122 victims and continues to kill into the time of his great-granddaughter. His wife became a general, leading her people in numerous battles against the Unwelcome Hex of The Hell of Counselling before succumbing to old age. It just keeps getting more awesome the more I read it.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31:42 am »

Why the hell are there so many children in the migrant waves?

Seriously, if I didn't know any better I'd say these migrant waves are a bunch of child slaves being driven by like 8 adults.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:48:54 am »

Why the hell are there so many children in the migrant waves?

Seriously, if I didn't know any better I'd say these migrant waves are a bunch of child slaves being driven by like 8 adults.

Yeah, it's pretty silly... hope it's a bug.  How the hell am I supposed to support 7 children with 8 adult dwarves?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:57:12 am »

most seem to be 10-11 in age. meaning they are prime workers for sweatshops craft making!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:00 am »

most seem to be 10-11 in age. meaning they are prime workers for sweatshops craft making!

You mean prime blood-bags for feeding upon... seriously, maybe that's why there are so many kids, so that the killing doesn't fall so hard on your useful dwarves.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »

For the time being, I have set dwarves to hit working age at 3. If I get a child migrant, I know that the maximum I have to wait is 2 years before they're useful. On a related note, so many of my migrants seem to have some competent weapon skill.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:26:56 pm »

I have got my fort upto 144 dwarves and I have 41 children. .... 41. wtf! almost a third of my fort do nothinnnnggg!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »

For the time being, I have set dwarves to hit working age at 3. If I get a child migrant, I know that the maximum I have to wait is 2 years before they're useful. On a related note, so many of my migrants seem to have some competent weapon skill.

yea my previous strategy was to throw the unskilled migrants into the military, but now that actual soldiers show up, i have more fish cleaners and butchers.
(fucking cats and fucking legendary fisherdwarf.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:08 am »

How do you change working age?
As currently more then half of my fort is children.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:29:52 am by Brewster »
Pages: [1] 2