Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)  (Read 24940 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:44 pm »

I can, although I am reluctant to overwrite the existing creatures and civs of the game, which would be the only real solution to pikes existing in the first place.

I think a rapier would actually be nice...

Anyway, I am doing all these graphics right now, so I'm not going to be seriously modding this right now, however, when I get back around to it, I suppose I could do a major change to the way the mod looks.

That could mean things like going for full-surface-dweller, or at least, mostly surface-dweller.  I could make them a tropical race of city-dwellers, with desert cities that farm in the shade of caves, so they might still have underground plants.  The general tropical nature, though, could leave them capable of handling swamps or tropical rivers.  The problem, then, though, would be distinguishing them more from humans than from dwarves...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 03:26:38 pm »

I know this is a Naga mod, but have some Centaurs anyway. :B
Creature editted(with permission!) from SethCreiyd's Flora and Fauna mod, they aren't very artistic like the Nagas, and prefer effective weapons that get the job done, rather then a flashy rapier or an ornate spear.
They also only have two nobles, for the sake of having a military, this probably causes problems..
creature_centaur.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
entity_centaur.txt
body_centaur.txt
Do with this as you wish.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 03:31:49 pm »

Heh, thanks.

This wasn't intended to be a big mod, just a one-offer that involved a small tweak so that you could play as a serpenty type.

That's not to say that I don't want to do more major modding sometime later, (I'd like to eventually make a "fae wilds" mod with no humans, just lots of mythological creatures) just that I've shelved it for now.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 04:40:06 pm »

And swarms of stun-locking pixies that turn you into one of their own?  :)
I'd love to help with such a mod, though I've never built a creature or entity from the ground up.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 05:05:11 pm »

And swarms of stun-locking pixies that turn you into one of their own?  :)
I'd love to help with such a mod, though I've never built a creature or entity from the ground up.

Actually, using spouse converter might not be a bad idea if I ever go that route, especially when throwing it on a child snatcher as well...

Anyway, I want to wait for Toady to put more versatility into the creature RAWs, so that creatures can have more meaningful differences before I set off full-steam on that voyage.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2012, 04:43:34 am »

Yay, I love nagas. I also only play a naga at dungeon crawl also, that's how much I like them. this is great!
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2012, 06:06:00 am »

Yay, I love nagas. I also only play a naga at dungeon crawl also, that's how much I like them. this is great!
Indeed, woot :J

However… are the creature graphics up anywhere without the "brown crud" background? Most graphics sets with that don't do anything interesting with alpha, so I can just strip it, but this appears to blend to that background.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2012, 10:39:09 am »

Oh, and
IF you ever go the way of giving them venom, I suggest making several castes with different kinds of venomous bites, ones the can kill on their own being the rarest, or making all the venomous castes rare among Nagas.
Might be fun.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2012, 11:07:04 am »

However… are the creature graphics up anywhere without the "brown crud" background? Most graphics sets with that don't do anything interesting with alpha, so I can just strip it, but this appears to blend to that background.

Sorry, I made these to go with the Phoebus pack, which has those brown background things. 

I'm not sure if I have a complete without-background pack, as I wound up adding many of the handheld doohickys directly to the sheet after I had released the original version, and only have original bodies that I copy-pasted over and over onto those background sheets because I was afraid GIMP would explode if I added 700 layers to a single image.

I can probably dig up one that doesn't have a few of the images, however, if you like, and you can try just deleting the background from the beekeepers and such.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »

I'm getting strange issues with caravans from multiple civs showing up at the same time.

Great work on this mod, by the way. I think it single handedly rekindled my enjoyment of DF.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2012, 02:14:22 pm »

I'm getting strange issues with caravans from multiple civs showing up at the same time.

Great work on this mod, by the way. I think it single handedly rekindled my enjoyment of DF.

That's funny, I thought only one was allowed to show up at the same time, and they'd basically just wait in line...

I haven't tested this all that thoroughly, as I've not yet had a chance to really sit down and do a serious fortress since 34.01, so tell me what happens.  Does setting up another depot help?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2012, 10:20:43 pm »

from my drow mod i can say its pretty normal for several civs showing up on same time

you just get a dropdown of the waiting civs in a depot after hitting "t" before seeing the contents, the bigger problem i see is that you made naga active on several seasons (so theey sometimes bring caravans 3 times a year unlike over civs)

it only gets hilarious if the trading civs are at war with each other, like playing as dwarves, while my drows and humans both show up in summer and are at worldgen war ;) then it is recommended to have several trade depots
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2012, 10:23:02 pm »

Yeah, it must have been changed since how it used to be...

I'll rework how they go about doing things when I next update the mod.  They shouldn't come more than once per year.

Summer should be an appropriate month, and I'll just let them overlap with humans.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 08:51:24 pm »

So just curious with the new clothes happiness issues. How do the nagas handle it since they don't have feet.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:05 pm »

So just curious with the new clothes happiness issues. How do the nagas handle it since they don't have feet.

It isn't based upon feet, it is based upon whatever limb possesses the STANCE token, and their tails have STANCE, and their tail warmers are worn on the STANCE limb.

That means they need a minimum of a shirt-type item, a skirt-type item, and a tail-warmer.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7