Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)  (Read 25428 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 07:24:51 pm »

that doesnt sound to bad if you ask me... i use "albino drow" in my mod too... like 1 out of 100 slightly different skills (better sneaking etc) and of course skin will be somewhere from gray to light pink instead of charchoal or obsidian
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 08:00:01 pm »

I've been playing with my naga adventurer, working up hammernaga.  That was a big mistake.  I tried picking up a pike and using that (while still holding a shield and my hammer and a sharpened rock, heh...), and immediately I stabbed a camel right in the heart.  (When I had last saved, I was trying to walk into a fortress that was mysteriously overrun by dozens of ostriches and camels.)

Using the hammer was fairly easy - I tail slapped an enemy to bind his movements, then started working body blows to shatter a bone or spine or damage the guts enough that I could get a clean head shot in - a clean head shot would almost always crush the skull, and guarantee a kill.  It took several turns, but when I got going, the enemy mostly just sort of sat there helplessly as I wailed away at them.  I think they were trying to shake off my tail's grip.

Using the pike - not nearly as long a fight, just stab them a couple times in the chest, and they are already dead.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »

Well the tail hold being hard to break is fairly true. You get held by a boa constrictor, you're pretty well screwed. And I imagine the nagas are probably quite capable of the same hehe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:44 pm »

OK, I did some rebalancing, took certain weapons away from the naga civ, added in a beekeeper graphic I somehow never added in the first place, and maybe some other things I forget.  New version is out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:42 am »

your pack includes a copy of the old naga entity think thats an accident (as this will throw of the errorlog a bit too for using same entity name twice :p)

so then to your rebalancing: you remeoved pike and swords? somehow i think those are acutally THE naga weapons (most pictures about them use such weapons, with sowrds often quadruble wielded ;p)

also sure pike and swords is easy to kill something, as sooner or later you hit something vital or make them bleed easily on unarmored target ... while hammer you need some skill to do damage and basicly only can make their brain into pudding to reliable kill something quickly. but if you target gets armor, the thing gets kinda reverserd
if thats your "balancing" issue i think you should go exactly the other way around and remove blunt weapons from a race thats more kin to beauty and socials (or did you ever heard of "hammer dancers" like sworddancers? :p)

maybe you still should go for the own weapon brands to properly make them large sized to handed weapons

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »

They're highly social, but not "beauty" obsessed.  They're more a group of highly extraverted people with both a large personal ego, but also a lot of affection for the ones they know.

They also don't fight so much with "dance" attacks as they fight with "coil up, wait patiently, and then pounce with overwhelming ferocity" attacks, to sort of lend it back towards the snake theme.  I actually wanted to put on the "ambush predator" token, but was worried that might have negative affects on the AI.

Anyway, hearing in another thread again about how people only think of Warcraft 3 when they hear "nagas", I'm heavily reconsidering changing this mod back to being "lamias" again.

I corrected the mod pack - I have no idea how the old version got put into the folder as a copy.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:35 pm »

but still i think as predatory they are more likely to use blade weapons and not blunt. especially since piercing (like pike) is their default attack (biting) too :x
as for now it looks to me more like you like blunt in general but got annoyed that pierce and cutting weapons are superior against easy targets ;p

but yeah that people only think of mainstream is a bit odd too, i prefer my naga (or lamia) with a full human upper body and not all scaly :x

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2012, 06:08:41 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by liking blunt more in general...  If it's that the warhammer is in the top spot of the raws now, that's just coincidence after I deleted some of the others. 

Also, their default attack is the tail slap, and naga are not really any better biters than most humanoids (worse, actually, as they have smaller heads and less powerful jaws).

Anyway, after playing around in worldgen, I'm heavily debating whether or not I should move nagas out of the mountains, and make them something like ANY_TROPICAL instead of MOUNTAIN...

That would give nagas the ability to start living in just flat out cities, and partake in all the "building a big city" fun that humans get.

I actually kind of prefer that nagas have smaller enclaves, one that reflects a more family-centric/clannish nature that puts higher priority on ties to family than to the more individualistic nature most cities encourage, but since the difference is functionally "you can either have a city, or have nothing", then having a city seems preferable.

I think I might also change to renaming them "Lamia" with my next update, as well, if nobody really minds.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2012, 06:12:23 pm »

Could I use this a basis for a cavern-linked naga/serpent men race ?

I really like what you did with the flavor of them, giving them character. Love the sprites as well :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 06:29:15 pm »

Could I use this a basis for a cavern-linked naga/serpent men race ?

I really like what you did with the flavor of them, giving them character. Love the sprites as well :)

You can use whatever you like in your own mod however you like. 

I would point out, though, that the current Serpentman already exists as a cavern-linked beast-man civ that is largely snake.  I did this mod to create a more "human" type of creature.  As such, I'm not sure how appropriate this mod might be to what you seem to be trying to accomplish.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »

Have you thought about making them water drinkers or giving them access to aboveground plants/materials at embark instead of the subterranean stuff? It does seem like you're moving em in the direction of surface dwelling or near surface dwelling.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2012, 08:33:41 pm »

Have you thought about making them water drinkers or giving them access to aboveground plants/materials at embark instead of the subterranean stuff? It does seem like you're moving em in the direction of surface dwelling or near surface dwelling.

I have thought about water drinking, but I remember there being problems with the water-drinkers, due to there being no particular support in the game for any playable race besides dwarves, so I held off on it.  (It causes happiness problems, and you are dependent upon the well... and really, most people in the middle ages drank with every meal, anyway, so it's not all that unrealistic for it to be on humans, anyway.)

They currently have both above and underground clothing (you'll notice they wear rope reed like humans and elves do).  The change would be to fully commit them to above-ground stuff, which I might just do, yet. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2012, 05:29:00 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by liking blunt more in general...  If it's that the warhammer is in the top spot of the raws now, that's just coincidence after I deleted some of the others.

well you mentioned in your post that you tried warhammer that its taking some time to do a kill, while with a pike you just stab a few times and get an easy and fast kill... and next update you removed the pike and swords, thats why i thought you just liked warhammers so much that you removed the "overpowered" weapons.

but nearly any depiction of naga or lamia with any weapon they got a polearm or a sword :p basicly i think humans, dwarfs and orcs are the only ones i remember any kind of artwork with a blunt weapon at all :x

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2012, 11:41:47 am »

That's because I went into the Adventure Forum, and created a thread to get people to help playtest nagas as adventure candidates.  In that thread, I was trying to get people to tell me about what concerns the race might have with being overpowered, and basically one thing that came up was that nagas could one-hand two-handed weapons.

Pikes are basically spears with twice as much damage, as it turns out, and are capable of routine one-hit-kills against even things like dragons if you have the training for it.  Being as spears are already the most powerful fortress mode-craftable weapon in the game against organic creatures, I figured limiting nagas to "merely" spears would be fair. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

thats why i told you to make your own weapons... also it will still stop noone from simply getting a pike in adv mode from a human bandit etc :x

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7