Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Execrable ash storms  (Read 8121 times)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Execrable ash storms
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »

So roofed aboveground buildings should be safe?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 06:09:47 pm »

Well safe from the clouds. It seems to be that on any embark you only get one type of cloud. Is this what you guys have found also? I only get zombie clouds of death.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

I mean that the first random type of cloud that you get is the only one you will get on that embark.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 06:19:45 pm »

My hunch is that if you embark across two different evil biomes each one might come with a different evil mist, but I lack the !!SCIENCE!! to presently back this up.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »

I'm fairly certain that the ash has randomized syndromes, since someone in one of the other threads got a cloud of ash that only made anything in it slightly dizzy but had no other ill effects.
I had a rain of Fetid Goo which made everyone dizzy (and some animals as well, my dogs seemed unaffected, kobolds and wild badgers were) and bleed a bit.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 06:53:45 pm »

I think the number of cloud types you'll encounter depending how many youchose when you genned the world.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:18 pm »

I have to do q fortress just for Fun! in an evil biome now.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »

I was just swarmed by a cloud of evil murk.

It turned everything it touched into "evil murk thralls" and had them attack eachother... this is all well and good except for the fact that they're immortal now.

A dog, a horse, a yak, a troglodyte who wandered above ground and three of the starting 7 were hit by the cloud. Many began fighting in between themselves but one of the dwarves was cornered by two war dogs, one regular dog and 2 axedwarves.

... much later all dogs and the axedwarves were dead. The vile murk thrall had both hands and feet chopped off and his brain was torn to shreads. Every part of that guy was broken! ... and then he crawled outside and began fighting the other vile murk thralls. One in-game month later and he is still without hands and feet, fighting a horse who is without hooves. Both are completely covered in wounds ... but they don't rot because they aren't actually undead. In fact they heal! There's scar tissue everywhere ... and that asshole who killed my military and my dogs doesn't just have a torn brain. He has lost both arms and legs COMPLETELY and his spine is broken in three places.

It's impossible to kill these guys. I hate when I lose forts to bugs...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Nyotor Lizardhammers

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 11:04:50 pm »

It turned everything it touched into "evil murk thralls" and had them attack eachother... this is all well and good except for the fact that they're immortal now.

A dog, a horse, a yak, a troglodyte who wandered above ground and three of the starting 7 were hit by the cloud. Many began fighting in between themselves but one of the dwarves was cornered by two war dogs, one regular dog and 2 axedwarves.

... much later all dogs and the axedwarves were dead. The vile murk thrall had both hands and feet chopped off and his brain was torn to shreads. Every part of that guy was broken! ... and then he crawled outside and began fighting the other vile murk thralls. One in-game month later and he is still without hands and feet, fighting a horse who is without hooves. Both are completely covered in wounds ... but they don't rot because they aren't actually undead. In fact they heal! There's scar tissue everywhere ... and that asshole who killed my military and my dogs doesn't just have a torn brain. He has lost both arms and legs COMPLETELY and his spine is broken in three places.

Bug? That sounds like a feature to me  :P
Nyo Ho Ho!

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 11:07:37 pm »

It's not a bug it's a feature. :P

Maybe they just randomly genned badassery?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »

I'll tell you what they are.

ABANDONED.  >:(
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 11:10:53 pm »

I mean that the first random type of cloud that you get is the only one you will get on that embark.

That seems to be the case, sadly.  :(

Also, I have seen them go up and down ramps - but what if there are no up ramps?  Is it possible to trap a dust storm for an uber moat?  ^ ^  Or will it "bounce" and go back up the ramps it goes down?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 01:06:21 am »

Atom smash, ceiling crush, magma-melt, lots and lot of axing.

All those should work.

Well the last one just makes them more manageable.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 02:16:55 am »

Atom smash, ceiling crush, magma-melt, lots and lot of axing.

All those should work.

Well the last one just makes them more manageable.
This. Also, are you sure they won't die if decapitated / chopped to pieces? (see: Colossus)

Rage quit is for elves.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 05:04:26 pm »

Sounds like it's time for some cage traps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3