Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Execrable ash storms  (Read 8117 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Execrable ash storms
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:13:15 pm »

Started a new fort with new dwarf fortress. Decided to try something new and embark in a scorching haunted region.

One month in I get a pause, a vp shift, and a little message that says "a cloud of execrable ash has drifted nearby". The ash comes in a massive wave runs over my wagon, my horse, my cow, my starting warrior, my mason, and my carpenter. EDIT: Woodcutter got hit too.

They die within seconds.

The only survivors are my three miners, who are all afflicted by survivors guilt.

Point being: If you see Execrable Ash in the new version, GTFO.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:18:36 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Execrable ash storms
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:03 pm »

I'm fairly certain that the ash has randomized syndromes, since someone in one of the other threads got a cloud of ash that only made anything in it slightly dizzy but had no other ill effects.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:20:24 pm »

I got an ash storm that gave everything blisters and made them throw up.....a lot!

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:21:55 pm »

I got one that instantly turned my dwarves into zombies which attacked the ones who weren't hit by it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:23:35 pm »

Oh shit, here comes another one. Let us see what happens.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:24:13 pm »

Clouds seem nastier than rain. I haven't seen an evil rain actually kill dwarves out right.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:26:09 pm »

If I remember correctly Toady said in the devlogs that rain was limited on how bad it could be, while the mists suffer the full force of the random generator in their attempt to destroy your fortresses.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:26:54 pm »

"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"

Well that was quick.

This one had same effect, same red fog, same "execrable ash" description. Gave them a fever, turned all their body parts yellow, knocked them unconscious, and killed them. All in the space of five seconds.

Losing is Fun.  ;D
---

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 05:27:08 pm »

Anybody know if there is any truth to the fact that these clouds can go through walls? If so, above ground fortresses are a thing of the past.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 05:28:32 pm »

Anybody know if there is any truth to the fact that these clouds can go through walls? If so, above ground fortresses are a thing of the past.

They roll up over walls and then flow in if there isn't a ceiling. I think.

I'll probably test on the reclaim.
---

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 05:29:20 pm »

I haven't had any direct hits on my walls yet but when I get the message that a cloud is passing through I order my dwarves into underground bunkers. If anything this makes them slightly more spicy.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

uh... they don't happen in nonevil biomes.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 05:37:17 pm »

Well nowadays practically nothing happens in non-evil biomes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »

well, my fort had some go straight through it's walls.
although, they never go up or down Z-levels, so a floating fortress would be safe.

That's not entirely true, ashstorms will roll up and down ramps. Climbing up on a mountain will not save your ass from these babies.

EDIT: The Reclaim is bugged, can only get a couple seconds in before the fort crashes. Ah well, I'll start again in the same area and experiment with an aboveground bunker.
---

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 06:05:50 pm »

This just in: Clouds will not go down stairs, will not go through walls but WILL go over them if there is no ceiling. DOES effect other animals as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3