Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...  (Read 10684 times)

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »

Wolves I am used to, lions are new, but the champ so far is freaking Dingos.  I am not an Australian baby.  Leave me alone.

My last adventurer was sleeping hidden in a little gully by a river hoping not to be killed by bogeymen in the night when I got awoken ... by the noise from the hill five squares adjacent, where FIFTEEN DINGOS were beating the shit out of an Alligator. They didn't even notice me.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 12:32:04 pm »

Oohh, look at that.
Find a castle as soon as you can. Recruit all the soldiers you find and go to the keep, where the law-giver or equivalent stays. His room will be *full* of crap, presumably stuff he picked up during his life.
Rob him blind and enjoy your army and new armor.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »

Is it just me or crossbows are hardcore promoters of !FUN!?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:58 pm »

I play as dwarven demi-god, but he's awfully far from any dwarfenhome. Though I abuse the shield thing (six shields and a battle axe in two hands), I can't find any armor. He has wiped out three bandit groups now while losing only three companions. Only two groups had an archer.

This axedwarf is chopping up people left and right, no mercy on them!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:57:09 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »

They've always been ;)

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 01:05:44 pm »

They've always been ;)

Yes, bows and crossbows were actually down significantly in killing power in DF2010. That was mostly because they lost their machinegunning ability, and while that's not back, they do seem a lot more lethal now in some other way I can't quite pick out. But for people who started playing post-April 1 2010, this is about the level of terror that 40d era players felt toward ranged fighters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 01:11:57 pm »

I've been having fun with my bronze colossus who innately knows how to breath dragonfire.

Now that I think about it I could probably just switch the interaction for necromancy with the secret of dragonfire and dragonfire immunity.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:29 pm »

Dungeons, which are located under town's keep, are FULL of loot. I found there tons of copper armor and many other iron armor, also hundreds of gems and other loot, before having fight with local bandits there, but unluckily there were 2 crossbowmans.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »

IS all powered technique of hiding and throwing crap considered cowardy here? Hiding now works even better, you can even crawl face to face with enemy, though that still gives archers first attack. And I've once got a narrow escape when chieftess broke my weapon arm by throwing bolts at them. Also, wolves cant bite through cloth armor thus performing push-ups in the middle of a pack can result in lots of bruises and defense skills improved.
upd: got legendary shield and dodge, one of training wolves collapsed from exertion, lol.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:43:43 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 02:00:14 pm »

The best thing about this new release is probably how you can break someone's leg and he'll actually fall down. Same with arms and held weapons.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:39 pm »

The best thing about this new release is probably how you can break someone's leg and he'll actually fall down. Same with arms and held weapons.

...That's been the case in 2010 as well  :'(

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 02:35:04 pm »

It's too difficult - not FUN sort of difficulty for doing stupid stuff, the ambushes are just way too powerful and way too frequent. The soldiers I recruit from the towns do not compare remotely to the bandits. I think the typical bandit should be able half the skill of a typical soldier and the bandit leaders should be slightly more powerful.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »

It seems breaking bones and cutting muscle tissue works universally now - damaged bone properly disables grasping/standing in fortress mode as well as in adventure mode. I guess it was a bug all along ...

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

Yep, before you had to aim for feet/hands.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »

They've always been ;)

Yes, bows and crossbows were actually down significantly in killing power in DF2010. That was mostly because they lost their machinegunning ability, and while that's not back, they do seem a lot more lethal now in some other way I can't quite pick out. But for people who started playing post-April 1 2010, this is about the level of terror that 40d era players felt toward ranged fighters.
All we need now is elven settlements back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6