Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...  (Read 10691 times)

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:55 pm »

I have one bandit warlord who keeps ambushing me. He then makes sure to tell me about all of the previous adventurers of mine he's killed. The toll is at 15 right now. I am growing to dislike him.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:59:15 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:05:11 am by Ogdibus »

Vahilior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 10:10:23 pm »

I found one thing thats really helpful is to go for a fortress or castle early and loot all the decent armor they leave lying around, they don't seem to mind you just helping yourself

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:58 pm »

I just completed my first quest as a peasant level elf, killed a were-something human by shooting him the leg with a wooden arrow then strangling him to death after he passed out from the pain.  Haven't encountered any ambushes since I've been very carefully manually traveling everywhere after reading this thread.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »

It is harder, but i like all the ambushes because it is good training. i like and hate that you can take two steps into the catacombs, kill one guy, then loot five nearby chests for full iron armor and a bunch of money. I also wish that the elf merchants would sell elf/dwarf sized gear. overall i love the release, its not without its glitches, but that was expected, and the catacombs are just beautiful... truly artistic work.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:41 pm »

Lets see, so in an attempt to walk from one village to another (a very short walk, just across a small forest), I was first set upon by wolves, whom I easily dispatched, butchered and was prepared to haul them for trade.  A few tiles (like, 3) later I was ambushed by a couple of Kolbolds.  I managed to take them down easily enough with my heavy silver long sword(!).  Then, not even 2 tiles later I was ambushed AGAIN by two more kolbolds (sp).  Could have been with the earlier party, but whatever. 

Then, another short travel (less than 10 tiles on the fast-travel screen), I was finally ambushed by those god damn bandits.  This had a Pikemaster, AND a freaking Chieftress whom took me down in one hit, then killed me in another two. 

My guess is that because Historical creatures can become bandits during world-gen, this leads to those bandit parties being lead by historical creatures who naturally are very good at what they do. 

As for why they are appearing so frequently and within such a short period of time, my best guess is that the difficulty is ramped up for "Demi-god" adventurers, ie: more encounters. 

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 11:09:42 pm »

Observations:

Throat cuts are effective now.
Teeth may shoot out like confetti.

Holy shit mob animals.

Wolves I am used to, lions are new, but the champ so far is freaking Dingos.  I am not an Australian baby.  Leave me alone.

But I'm not really seeing it as that much harder.  Combat is more frequent, but it is wolf level animal combat that is utterly non dangerous at all ever.  So long as you kite them.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 12:06:25 am »

I've been massacring wolves, bears, dingos by the score.  Then I run into 5 swordmasters, I lose a foot, then I tried scurrying off like a scared schoolgirl...  Well they caught me and my body parts were flying in the air like scattering birds  :'(  This was on a demigod character btw :/

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12:51 am »

I've never really played adventure mode much... ... and after a few attempts today, I'm not sure I can...

I eventually managed to steal some stuff from an abandoned town and sell it for a whip, allowing me to kill one guy before taking a bolt to the neck. 6 characters down for 1 dead bandit... this could be problematic.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 12:15:57 am »

You are just too weak. Demigod character is nothing. All those competent etc skills? Too low.

Train into sneaking and other useful skills, start with talented dodging, and you won't have any problems at all.

People become too used to the easy adv. mode in 0.31.25.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 12:34:03 am »

You are just too weak. Demigod character is nothing. All those competent etc skills? Too low.

Train into sneaking and other useful skills, start with talented dodging, and you won't have any problems at all.

People become too used to the easy adv. mode in 0.31.25.

Sneaking is almost completely useless when you're the one always being ambushed. I can say for certain that the ambush rate is way, way, way up. Even with no observer skills I would only be ambushed once every couple dozen big map tiles, but now you can't travel five quick-travel tiles without an encounter.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:35 am »

You can easily hide in a smoke/behind a tree.

How high is your intuition?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 12:42:44 am »

You can easily hide in a smoke/behind a tree.

How high is your intuition?

Only if you can get behind one before getting surrounded or crippled by an arrow. Also, even doing that will make you lose any companions and leave you screwed when the night falls.

As for Intuition it's usually average or above average (I don't stat dump) while Observer is Novice to Competent. It's still quite common to get ambushes literally one tile apart.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 01:06:27 am »

Actually, I've decided the new version is in fact easier, due to the crap ton of free easily accessed Human sized iron and Bronze armor in castle keeps.  I mean, kobalds can't even get through it, I even massacred a party of bogies.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:13 am »

Actually, I've decided the new version is in fact easier, due to the crap ton of free easily accessed Human sized iron and Bronze armor in castle keeps.  I mean, kobalds can't even get through it, I even massacred a party of bogies.

Well how useful is that stuff against ambushes? I just tried a demigod, and got killed by a boss before even making it to a keep (again, ambushed just one tile after a wolf ambush).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6