Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...  (Read 10690 times)

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

I can't even REACH the towns before getting ambushed and killed by something, even if i find companions in the starting town. Ordinary bandits seem to be just as strong if not stronger than me. WHAT DO?!

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »

I also noticed this, i can barly even complete a quest without begin killed by anything, after about 6 dwarfs, i was able to complete one quest by killing a jaguar. I recurited two people and got steamrolled by a gang of bandits.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

I've managed to make it to cities and went under the keep ended up getting gang-banged by I guess Outcasts?  It doesn't help that you don't start in a city, and also do not start with at least the weakest armor AFTER clothing.  But yeah I think the difficult in Adv. Mode was ramped up.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:05:47 pm »

I don't know what you're talking about, Toady only made the game more !FUN!.

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:12:55 pm »

My suggestion is to grind your hero's up so you can handle whats out there.. :O

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:13:18 pm »

The game seems to have become more difficult realistic.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:13:49 pm »

The constant ambushes are most likely a bug, but higher observer is apparently ment to lower ambushes, still should be fixed tho.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »

What are your character's intuition-scores? That helps prevent or delay animal ambushes, so it might apply here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:10:37 pm »

What are your character's intuition-scores? That helps prevent or delay animal ambushes, so it might apply here.

Some people lower all the attributes that don't mean anything to very low so that they can get a few more points into stats the game does care about. Its possible people are doing that with intuition and Toady didn't test the ambush rates for completely clueless characters.

I'm playing with average intuition and so far I've gotten a pretty standard amount of ambushes.  On the other hand, the first goblin ambush I encountered raped me, and I've had a lot of experience fighting those guys in past games.  Granted, I was carrying the combined organs of five wolves, so that slowed me down, and I was immediately shot in the shield hand, but still...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:40 pm »

Archers have been boosted back up to 40d levels of crazy badass.  If you go to a large town with a castle, you can circle around the fortress walls recruiting bowmen and crossbowmen.  They will then obliterate oncoming enemies for you.  If you want to use a horrible exploit, build them a little ring of campfires to protect them from melee enemies.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:03:49 pm »

I thought I was the only one. Even as a super-tough Demigod with 12 dodging and 11 in my weapon skill, the first bandits on the trail to a necromancer tower absolutely destroys me.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:29 pm »

I might try some science, right now I have my intuition on either high or superior, leaving my spatial and kinesthetic senses at Above average, running on High strength and superior Agility (Demigod)

I also theorize that it might be "safer" to actually stay in the local map instead of Fast-Travelling though first we'll see if my encounter rate is still what is seemingly crazy high since 31.25

here's my character, it might be !!Science!! but I don't have the commitment to that so much.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

And then he died by lions ... curses
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:21:48 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »

The biggest problem I have is the massive framerate drop when I enter a market.  I'm running at 4 FPS right now, which is really annoying.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:28 pm »

The main issue is still getting one shotted. You can reduce this risk by running away until they all get lined up (be they wolves, boogie men, or bandits), and setting your attack preference to charge. This knocks them down and stuns them for a few turns, giving you a huge advantage.

Also, no need to finish one off at a time. If their legs are split open, or they have nerve damage or are bleeding, just continue on to the next one and come back.

This all falls apart once you run into the necromancers. My current working theory is to kill all bar a few Dead, then head for the necro. It seems the necro's only do their thing when there are no more walking dead.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:12 pm »

bandits seem insanely hard now.  demigod level adventurer with all stats and skills set for combat, and even with two companions, two bandits kill the whole party.

compare to last release where i entertained myself by seeing how long each bandit took to bleed out as i bit off their fingers.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6