Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!  (Read 29633 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2012, 04:17:45 pm »

I embarked in a good biome with "Tower" as a neighbor... had no idea what that meant.

As soon as we got there, my fisherman proceeded to clear the brook of mussels, and left mussel shells all along the riverside.  Before the end of the first season, some necro-jerko shows up and reanimates all of the mussel shells.  Insane mussel shell apocalpyse!!  Reading the combat reports was hilarious... "Urist charges the mussel shell.  The mussel shell looks surprised by the ferocity of the attack!"

Later another necro showed up with a zombie horde, which was easy to kill, but unfortunately an arm got flung into the tree in front of my entrance.  Now all the dorfs keep getting terrified by the zombie arm in the tree and can't seem to get in or out of the fortress.  Because it's in a tree, we can't seem to kill it, or chop down the tree.  *abandon*

Pump magma to the outside of the fortress, and flood the map. That should get the arm
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

prist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2012, 04:26:01 pm »

Sigh, it was all going so well. Had a short clash with zombie yak in my fortress that ended with creation of zombie catacombs for yak body deep in my fortress and yak skin and hair getting thrown outside to refuse pile. After that I sealed the fortress from outside world through a system of bridges, with atom smasher on the ready to smash any zombies that might try to get in.

2-3 migrants arrive and promptly die to lurking undead yak skin and hair. However, they wander away after a while and lurk near the edge of map, when new batch of migrants arrive, some 15 or so. I figure that well, I just might open the gates and let those migrants try their luck, hoping that 2-3 of them might make it through. As soon as I lower the bridge, nearly all my dwarves charge out to pick up the gear lying around from the 3 dwarves that met their unfortunate ending earlier, promptly getting their faces melted. I forbid everything, order survivors to burrows to salvage what I can, and few dwarves that are still alive scramble towards the fortress, followed closely by their zombie friends. I order lever pulled on defence atomsmasher, but due to construction error it is too close to the bridges, workers get scared by zombies and retreat. I order my military to go forth and slay those 2-3 zombies that are near the bridge and indeed, they dispatch the zombies easily with the help of elven caravan which just arrived. This gives clear sign to complete the command I gave earlier, a dwarf pulls the lever and my whole military along with the caravan is atomsmashed to oblivion. An assorted horde of 30-40 zombie dwarves, emus, wolves and kobolds, led by named yak skin, descend on my fortress, where last few survivors along with a random ghost barricade themselves in dining room, where they have ample food for emergency and a well for water.

I figure that I'll just tunnel out and dig to the caverns, when a forgotten beast arrives and starts lurking below. While I'm trying to come up with a new plan, a dwarf gets scared by a ghost, jumps down the well, drowns and raises as a zombie. He refuses to move, and since he is just 1z-level below, nobody can access water nor food. When next dwarf dies to dehydration, insanity overtakes the last 2 survivors, who start smacking each other.

At this point I just opened the doors and let the 50-something zombies in. It was a joy to watch.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:32:21 pm by prist »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2012, 04:28:29 pm »

Sigh, it was all going so well. Had a short clash with zombie yak in my fortress that ended with creation of zombie catacombs for yak body deep in my fortress and yak skin and hair getting thrown outside to refuse pile. After that I sealed the fortress from outside world through a system of bridges, with atom smasher on the ready to smash any zombies that might try to get in.

2-3 migrants arrive and promptly die to lurking undead yak skin and hair. However, they wander away after a while and lurk near the edge of map, when new batch of migrants arrive, some 15 or so. I figure that well, I just might open the gates and let those migrants try their luck, hoping that 2-3 of them might make it through. As soon as I lower the bridge, nearly all my dwarves charge out to pick up the gear lying around from the 3 dwarves that met their unfortunate ending earlier and promptly get their faces melted. I forbid everything, order them to burrows to salvage what I can and few dwarves that are still alive scramble towards the fortress, followed by their zombie friends. I order lever pulled on defence atomsmasher, but due to construction error it is too close to the bridges, workers get scared by zombies and retreat. I order my military to go forth and slay those 2-3 zombies that are near the bridge and indeed, they dispatch the zombies easily with the help of elven caravan which just arrived. This gives clear sign to complete the command I did earlier, a dwarf pulls the lever and my whole military along with the caravan is atomsmashed to oblivion. An assorted horde of 30-40 zombie dwarves, emus wolves and kobolds led by named yak skin descend on my fortress, where last few survivors along with a random ghost barricade themselves in dining room, where they have ample food for emergency and a well for water.

I figure that I'll just tunnel out and dig to the caverns, when a forgotten beast arrives and starts lurking below. While I'm trying to come up with a new plan, a dwarf gets scared by a ghost, jumps down the well, drowns and raises as a zombie. He refuses to move, and since he is just 1z-level below, nobody can access water nor food. When next dwarf dies to dehydration, insanity overtakes the last 2 survivors, who start smacking each other.

At this point I just opened the doors and let the 50-something zombies in. It was a joy to watch.

That is beautiful :*)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:04 pm »

How did the elves help out? they don't come with caravan guards. did they just serve as distraction?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2012, 04:42:56 pm »

After sieges it's not so much the goblin or dwarf corpses that are a pain for zombification. It's the cave crocodiles and cave crawlers. Those buggers are a nightmare to bring down each time and are vary capable of taking down a dwarf in seconds.

After a few failed attempts to retrieve the corpses I lost many more dwarfs and the spiral has begun.

Does anyone have any method of preventing the apocalypse?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »

2-3 migrants arrive and promptly die to lurking undead yak skin and hair. However, they wander away after a while and lurk near the edge of map, when new batch of migrants arrive, some 15 or so. I figure that well, I just might open the gates and let those migrants try their luck, hoping that 2-3 of them might make it through. As soon as I lower the bridge, nearly all my dwarves charge out to pick up the gear lying around from the 3 dwarves that met their unfortunate ending earlier, promptly getting their faces melted. I forbid everything, order survivors to burrows to salvage what I can, and few dwarves that are still alive scramble towards the fortress, followed closely by their zombie friends. I order lever pulled on defence atomsmasher, but due to construction error it is too close to the bridges, workers get scared by zombies and retreat. I order my military to go forth and slay those 2-3 zombies that are near the bridge and indeed, they dispatch the zombies easily with the help of elven caravan which just arrived. This gives clear sign to complete the command I gave earlier, a dwarf pulls the lever and my whole military along with the caravan is atomsmashed to oblivion. An assorted horde of 30-40 zombie dwarves, emus, wolves and kobolds, led by named yak skin, descend on my fortress, where last few survivors along with a random ghost barricade themselves in dining room, where they have ample food for emergency and a well for water.

Many laughs. Thank you for the story.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:01 pm »

Just lost my first fort since the early .40 days, it was glorious!

I started out on a minor river where three terrifying biomes met, at first it didn't look so bad, lots of fish in the river, but no undeads.
I started digging down, wanting to get my food down as quick as possible, while chopping down some trees for fortifications overground.

It started so innocently.. a single weasel corpse with no legs crawled into the map. One lone weasel.
it crawled into the river, and somehow managed to kill a fish, which raised, and killed another fish, and another and another..
soon i had some 20+ carp and longnose gar zombies crawling out of the riverbed towards my fort.

My militia was ready tho, they charged forwards and put an end to the abominations.
I de-drafted my military to help speed up the hauling, but soon found the dwarves scattering..

An unkindness of undead ravens were eating my beasts of burden, right on top of the entrance to the stockpile, and one lone miner was trapped inside..

It... all kinda went downhill from there...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »

A thought occurred. Goblins like evil biomes, right? How are goblin civs surviving all of this?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »

Wait..

so Thralls will turn dwarves into thralls, but husks don't? Or am I mistaken?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

domomaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2012, 07:20:41 pm »

An elaborate fortress where the main pathways are actually channels that can turn on water flow at a moments notice. These hallways would carry the dead to the bottom of the fortress, a massive zombie meat factory that uses serrated discs to chop up the corpses to maximise their killing potential. This mass could probably be deployed via a tunnel system to any location on the map.

One of the biggest problems i foresee is the communal areas, like dining rooms, stockpiles and workshops. Probably, something could be done with self-contained rooms that can be filled with magma or something. Also, a reasonable portion of the population would need to kept secluded in a main control room.

Already I am getting images of a Dwarven Resident Evil facility, where the dark CEOs are controlling the lives of their lesser brethren in order to breed a super-army.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:11:24 pm by domomaster »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:27 am »

I know that this advice is oft overused, but in the case of zombies it really does work:

The solution to the problem is Magma.
Not all zombies destroyed? More magma.
Ensure that if your fort falls, it can be flooded with magma so that your dwarves get the satisfaction of knowing their bodies won't feed the horde, and that they're taking some zombies down with them, permanently.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2012, 02:15:08 am »

A thought occurred. Goblins like evil biomes, right? How are goblin civs surviving all of this?
they trot out their clown overlord and make him earn his paycheck.

i need to update goblin fortress and build a tower now.  thanks.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:25 am »

they trot out their clown overlord and make him earn his paycheck.

i need to update goblin fortress and build a tower now.  thanks.
You are very welcome.  ;D

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2012, 11:21:16 am »

Zombie FB on fire is overkilling...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2012, 11:38:29 am »

Zombie FB on fire is overkilling...
Overkill? In DF? You must be an elf sympathizer. I will have to confiscate your beard. Please report to the "surgery" room, elf scum.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10