Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!  (Read 29637 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »

In evil regions where the dead spontaneously animate, is there enough delay between reanimations to toss the bodies into an atom smasher?

It's not consistent, science has to be done on the subject. Not all areas raise bodies at the same rate. It's not clear if there's any rhyme or reason to how long the 'timer is set for'.

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »

In evil regions where the dead spontaneously animate, is there enough delay between reanimations to toss the bodies into an atom smasher?

I find it depends on how dead they are.

A pulverized corpse takes about 5 min, one that is fresher animate almost instantly.

I know this because my dogs ripped appart a mantis man, between each animation the time it took for them to get up was greater and greater.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 11:41:39 pm »

So do zombies turn others into zombies by attacking them?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 11:42:39 pm »

Some evil regions are zombifying, if anything dies in that region it turns into a zombie.

Thralls on the other hand turn their victims into thralls by touching them.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:33 pm »

Some evil regions are zombifying, if anything dies in that region it turns into a zombie.

Thralls on the other hand turn their victims into thralls by touching them.

Somebody needs to make a zombie survival mod that makes all zombies have a syndrome that turns others into zombies...

Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2012, 02:20:03 am »

I just made a mod that allows some people to become holy men, who can melt zombies into slag by pointing at them. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to make them only target zombies.

PS: Zombie fire imps = worst nightmare
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2012, 02:23:08 am »

I just made a mod that allows some people to become holy men, who can melt zombies into slag by pointing at them. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to make them only target zombies.

PS: Zombie fire imps = worst nightmare

Try skeletal ones.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2012, 11:35:50 am »

Unmodded df2012, fort in a mixed wild evil and wild good biome, with sand, clay, and volcano.

My fort got invaded by 100 mosquito-men zombies.
Half the population is dead, some zombified.
I have no military.
A woodcutter went tantrum, but just stands by the front door.  Somehow a kobold snuck in.  The tantrum woodcutter chased the kobold out into the swarm of undead mosquito-men, killed kobold with bare hands, walked calmly and slowly back into fortress, where he kept standing (still in tantrum) at the front door, killing all intruders, until he starved to death.

By the way, tantrum dwarfs don't set off traps, now.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2012, 11:45:48 am »

Now I want to get a fort besieged by the undead... then set it up to be self sustaining and use Rumrushers method to leave it alive.... Start an adventurer and train them up as an expert hunter of the dead.

One question... if I zombify corpses as a necromancer... and then attack zombies zombified by an evil region... will my zombies turn on me? Or will they smash the naturally occuring zombies?

Because I am seriously considering making an Alucard Expy... building him a fancy castle in adventure mode and generally equipping him with all the best equipment and training I can.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Dactylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »

I can't let my dwarves outside, and that means no pasture for my animals, I put them in cages, waiting for them to starve, then reanimate. turns out if they die inside a cage, they animate free from it, and I quickly had to dispose of an angry undead bull. So now I have an entire elaborate prison block, each with 1x2 rooms with cages in them, they keep filling up, more and more undead animals trapped behind the locked doors. I fear for my dwarves, soon the dead will number two for every dwarf, and my undead prison keeps expanding..

Soon I'll have a massive undead asylum. I've got the blockhouses layered so they're two zlevels high, with balconies to get to the second floor cells, they are sprawling outwards to the west wing of my fortress, the entrance to the asylum is a deep shaft with a bridge, and guard towers. An underground gatehouse; I constantly have at least 4 marksdwarves on duty, waiting for anything to try to escape. in the event of a prison break, I can collapse the bridge, and seal off the undead.

Until I need to make a new Prison...

Solution is simple. Dig to magma, dump caged zombies into magma. Problem solved!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2012, 02:20:35 pm »

So, I just reached an all-time high for myself with a zombie spiral.. 70+ zombies, most of them dwarves.  All lured to the promise of a better life at Peacefulmeadows.. but instead were ripped apart by drooling freaks.  My 9 surviving dwarves were killed when I accidently breached into my own (dry) moat and was swarmed by the undead. 

Also, did you guys know that zombie kobolds can still pick doors, despite being rotten and.. dead?  Found that out the hard way on this fort.  Had a helluva time getting the little bastard to stay put.. the masons were slow as hell.  Plus, they were busy being eaten of course, but no self-respecting dwarf lets that slow him down!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2012, 02:41:44 pm »

Even worse if you have were-zombies that get arms lopped off.
Those armes reanimate, and after a month become new zombie werecreatures.
Dwarven cloning? (just read in this on another thread, did not expirience it myself)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

agambadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »

On my first terrifying biome after the update everything was fine until my yak (that I didn't order but spawned with me anyways) died and reanimated almost instantly and killed successfully every single one of my seven dwarves even thought they were all hacking away at it with swords.

I had enough as people have pointed out the reanimation time is random, I set my military to stay on the path that the dumpers will take so that they can kill whatever when it reanimates and then quickly select the part for dumping again all the way to the atom smasher.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »

oh god... the elephants. THE ELEPHANTS!

the shortest embark I ever had was about 15 seconds before the group of 7 zombie buzzards and 4 zombie camels pathed right to my dorfs. didnt even have time to take the wagon apart.

the best though was when a zombie siege came to my fort just before the end of winter in the first year. the usual message popped up, but when I saw what was up, I was disappointed. a single elf corpse. I sent my militia captain to deal with it, but soon found out that zombies are not to be metaled with. the captain did not attempt any attacks before the zombie smashed his skull in. as it approached my dogs caught it and killed it. 30 seconds later, a pile of water buffalo hair got up and actually killed a dog, the dog was instantly raised, at the same time, the elf also got back up. the dog and hair killed the other dogs who were then instantly raised from the dead. what followed was a blood bath. the dwarves fleeing from various severed limbs and undying beasts. I think the worst was when a dwarf was killed by her own children when they cornered her in the dining hall. the final death in the fort was the mayor, he died cowering like a bitch in the habitation block, lying on the floor until the horde found his hiding place and ate his face off. of all the creatures who were raised, only one did not get up and attack; the militia captain I had sent to deal with the elf corpse in the beginning.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2012, 04:11:39 pm »

I embarked in a good biome with "Tower" as a neighbor... had no idea what that meant.

As soon as we got there, my fisherman proceeded to clear the brook of mussels, and left mussel shells all along the riverside.  Before the end of the first season, some necro-jerko shows up and reanimates all of the mussel shells.  Insane mussel shell apocalpyse!!  Reading the combat reports was hilarious... "Urist charges the mussel shell.  The mussel shell looks surprised by the ferocity of the attack!"

Later another necro showed up with a zombie horde, which was easy to kill, but unfortunately an arm got flung into the tree in front of my entrance.  Now all the dorfs keep getting terrified by the zombie arm in the tree and can't seem to get in or out of the fortress.  Because it's in a tree, we can't seem to kill it, or chop down the tree.  *abandon*
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10