Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!  (Read 29658 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:33 pm »

If you bury someone, they come back as a zombie and destroy your fort. If you don't bury someone, they come back as a ghost and their friends cause a tantrum spiral about the body decaying.

Do any and all things killed by the dead become undead, or just in certain areas/circumstances?

Engrave a slab in their honor, dump the corpse in magma.

Body destroyed, ghost averted.  Dwarves embarking in evil biomes won't have catacombs, they'll have tunnels engraved with the names of the lost.

Like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2012, 03:07:45 pm »

It doesn't matter what killed them if they die in a zombifying biome they become a zombie.
Is there any way to actually know if a biome is zombifying? I've tried numerous terrifying/haunted/sinister areas to no avail.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2012, 03:12:24 pm »

It doesn't matter what killed them if they die in a zombifying biome they become a zombie.
Is there any way to actually know if a biome is zombifying? I've tried numerous terrifying/haunted/sinister areas to no avail.
I don't think so, not before you embark.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:15 pm »

I don't think so, not before you embark.
Really? All evil areas seem to be capable of necroing corpses and producing evil rain/mist. And I know for sure, necromancers can attack you from anywhere.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:35 pm »

Really? All evil areas seem to be capable of necroing corpses and producing evil rain/mist. And I know for sure, necromancers can attack you from anywhere.
Nope. I embarked like eight times before I found one that raises corpses and in my current split evil biome fort corpses on one biome of the map don't rise but it still rains toxic goo.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »

Nope. I embarked like eight times before I found one that raises corpses and in my current split evil biome fort corpses on one biome of the map don't rise but it still rains toxic goo.
GoodBad luck I guess?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »

I imagine my dwarfs literally forcing the corpses into the coffins.

Most zombies aren't too bad if you have some kind of military especially as they're completely neked and therefore fairly easy to slice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2012, 04:34:05 pm »

I was slightly disappointed when I found my Dwarves getting depressed from being attacked by the dead. I mean, why would they find being attacked by an undead emu more traumatizing than the eye removal chamber ?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 05:41:27 pm »

I was slightly disappointed when I found my Dwarves getting depressed from being attacked by the dead. I mean, why would they find being attacked by an undead emu more traumatizing than the eye removal chamber ?
Being drunk does have that effect.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2012, 06:12:57 pm »

Whoa! I didn't try hard enough, then. The first sinister embark I did caused immediate zombify, and ... well, I made an ass out of you and me.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

I am Playing in an evil region and 50 Giant mosquitos made it into my fort killed 10 dwarfs before i got all of them. Then Became UNDEAD with the Freaking Dwarfs then killed 10 more!!! THEN when i finally got all of them I have undead dwarfs spawning every 5 seconds so a whole squad has to guard the coffins while I try to Clean UP this mess and a stupid vampire IS STILL KILLING RANDOM DWARFS!!!!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Seriously
Remove their [FLIER] tag for hilarity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:54 pm »

It's as if armok himself is cata- wait those aren't meteros... are those... WINGLESS MOSQUITOS!?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2012, 08:57:44 pm »

This is what makes DF great.

I don't think the body parts will kindly wait while the dwarf works on it.
They don't.
On the plus side, maybe this will make Toady fix the 'animal parts take up as much space as the whole animal' bug a little quicker.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2012, 09:03:57 pm »

I can't let my dwarves outside, and that means no pasture for my animals, I put them in cages, waiting for them to starve, then reanimate. turns out if they die inside a cage, they animate free from it, and I quickly had to dispose of an angry undead bull. So now I have an entire elaborate prison block, each with 1x2 rooms with cages in them, they keep filling up, more and more undead animals trapped behind the locked doors. I fear for my dwarves, soon the dead will number two for every dwarf, and my undead prison keeps expanding..

Soon I'll have a massive undead asylum. I've got the blockhouses layered so they're two zlevels high, with balconies to get to the second floor cells, they are sprawling outwards to the west wing of my fortress, the entrance to the asylum is a deep shaft with a bridge, and guard towers. An underground gatehouse; I constantly have at least 4 marksdwarves on duty, waiting for anything to try to escape. in the event of a prison break, I can collapse the bridge, and seal off the undead.

Until I need to make a new Prison...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:09:05 pm by Omap »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:43 pm »

In evil regions where the dead spontaneously animate, is there enough delay between reanimations to toss the bodies into an atom smasher?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10