Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!  (Read 29640 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: ZOMBIE SPIRAL!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 08:57:32 am »

I butchered a horse in a sinister area. Next thing I saw was my dwarves being interrupted by crawling horse hair. Hilarity ensued.
It was only mildly annoying, but slightly later the horse skin also went undead and killed everyone.

Anybody else think of The Thing?

Carpenters' thing? or adams familys' thing?

The thing.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:16 am »

I had an undead corpse that slowly rotted away a little more each time I laid it down. What started as a corpse became a mutilated corpse after a messy death, then several deaths later, was an undead partial skeleton.

For animals at least, an alternative to atomsmash or magma is to butcher AND tan the corpses. As is now known though, don't do this for creatures that drop hair - spinning hair into thread takes phenomenally long because the 'hair' is considered a huge sized item, causing far too much clutter to be processed before reanimation.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 09:39:18 am »

I butchered a horse in a sinister area. Next thing I saw was my dwarves being interrupted by crawling horse hair. Hilarity ensued.
It was only mildly annoying, but slightly later the horse skin also went undead and killed everyone.

The thing.
This Thing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 09:47:19 am »

The thing.
This Thing?
It's not the original, but yes, that thing :D

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:51 am »

The thing.
This Thing?
Pardon, but I never saw(ed) the original.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 10:45:56 am »

The thing.
This Thing?

You must see it. The new movie is a clichéd slasher/body horror shitflick. The entire atmosphere is all "oh there's a monster we must run or it will get us!" while the original builds a tension of distrust between the crew members. It's not even comparable.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:49 am »

The thing.
This Thing?

You must see it. The new movie is a clichéd slasher/body horror shitflick. The entire atmosphere is all "oh there's a monster we must run or it will get us!" while the original builds a tension of distrust between the crew members. It's not even comparable.
I will see our recording of the movie; as I've heard they were not comparible, but the whole point of the post was the pun.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 11:07:21 am »

Embarked on a necromancer tower with just embark, torn to shreds by zombies. reembarked with 7 warrior dorfs, went into various stages of trance and slaughtered the ambushes, a raven swarm helped and was quickly massacred. Everything was raised by The Bass Necromancer and they were torn to shreds. Wellp. I expect that any future embarks may have this son of a bitch invading.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:42 am »

First embark, the only other units on the screen in a haunted zone are a wolverine and a porcupine corpse. I don't even know how the wolverine died, but it came back, and it came back hard. That and the ravens ramped up a nice zombie spiral very quickly, since they killed my woodcutter pretty quickly. It all happened so fast that I could barely figure out what was going on. And despite watching his corpse run around killing things, I was informed that he had been "missing for a week". Chilling.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »

The thing.
This Thing?

I will see our recording of the movie; as I've heard they were not comparible, but the whole point of the post was the pun.
Rather accurate, as only heat-based weapons seem to be effective against the Thing. Now if we can only figure out how to get magma throwers and heated wire-blood tests.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »

Why heat the blood? Just dump the Dorf in magma. That way we'll know for sure!

Bertinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »

Reanimated skin seems a bit overpowered. Butchered a Yak for !!SCIENCE!!. I was fine with the skin killing turkey gobblers, but after I brought it to my outdoor refuse pile and it reanimated again, it singlehandedly KO'd two war dogs. They weren't dead, but had several broken bones/bruised organs. It's a little ridiculous given that it's skin and should be very flimsy. The war dogs also seems unable to actually kill it effectively, only bruising or tearing skin. The attacks should definitely be toned down a bit. If it's skin, pretty much the only way it should be able to actually do damage is by strangling something to death.

Starting a new embark because I'd rather not deal with unending skin attacks and other annoyingness. I plan on doing an evil embark once these kinds of bugs get fixed, alongside undead repeatedly coming back to life too fast to be fun. Right now they're pretty much impossible to stop once they start, aside from magma.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:45:52 pm by Bertinator »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

Paper > Rock
Reanimated Yak Skin > Dog

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 12:59:33 pm »

I think we should attempt to give these zombies love and understanding.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 01:12:47 pm »

Well, Toady very specifically kept the undead skin thing after it showed up. It can be dealt with - tan it and it won't come back to life. Same with hair: spin it into thread and it won't come back. The trouble comes when the animal is so big you can't process its parts in a timely manner - I don't think the body parts will kindly wait while the dwarf works on it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10