Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tip on Frame Rates in .34.01: Undead Lag  (Read 1152 times)

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tip on Frame Rates in .34.01: Undead Lag
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:42:28 pm »

The short version: look very carefully at the 'saving historical figures' line when you're doing the initial save of a newly genned world.

The long version: I jumped right into trying out the new Dorfiness of .34 with a Phoeb pack download, a large world, medium history, lots of savagery, and a 5x5 embark square. My computer is fairly bestial, so it can handle normally anti-FPS params and large embarks. But when I finished tweaking for my no tools build and got to the fortress view, FPS dropped to not twenty, not ten, not five...

Two.
Twoooooo.
FPS.
With seven dorfs and no waterfalls.
???

After screwing around with init.txt and d_init.txt for ages, and removing graphics packs and the whole other nine yards of elf entrails, something random occurred to me... I abandoned the fort, went back to the embark screen, and moused over a GIANT purple blotch on the embark screen I hadn't looked at very closely: an almost 15x15 embark tile area of terrifying biome. Huh.

Then I looked at legends, and I realized who had killed my FPS.

The world had over 25000 entities running around. With medium history. Most of them were undead hands flopping around abandoned battle fields. I also remembered vaguely glancing at the 'saving historical figures' number when I genned the world, and a tiny part of my brain going 'woah,' while the rest was going 'COFFEEE.'

Beware of Necromancers. They can lag death your fort before you even start.

(Note: I'm not 100% sure having a glut if entities will kill FPS, but that was the only stand-out thing about that world. I tried this again with another world, same params, and a 6x6 square, and I was immediately hopping along at 49 FPS. It's the only changed variable I could find).

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tip on Frame Rates in .34.01: Undead Lag
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:53 pm »

Are you sure that your first save was not broken? Sometimes the magma is flooding the HFS or something like that. I don't think that historical figures from world gen move around while the fortress mode is running.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »

I think Toady has fixed a number of issues related to a broken magma sea.  He might not have fixed them all though.

And I also doubt that the large number of historical figures would cause fort mode to run slowly.  Not sure what else it could be though, haven't had a chance to try out the new version yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:51:58 pm »

So, after more testing, I've also noticed that a larger number of civs gives you a MUCH higher number of entities, historical and otherwise, than we would have expected in previous versions. Not sure if that affects things, but...

I still cannot replicate the horrible FPS conditions of that one embark. I'm going to go looking for the dump folder where I put that world and do some more poking around, out of curiosity.

EDIT: So, I've made four different worlds with the exact same params as the super lag death one.... and none of them exhibited the same symptoms. Now I REALLY don't know what's up. The clowns haven't escaped the circus early or anything - I checked the unit list - and there aren't any active volcanos, and all the water movement is on the same Z-level.... *is a mystery*

I'm going to upload the world and try embarking in other area. I've been tackling FPS issues for a while, since I started DF on a crap computer, and... I am completely stumped on this one.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:19:31 pm by Gigmaster »

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

If you want to poke at it and maybe figure out with the whatever technical thing is barfing here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5493