Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Success With Secrets?  (Read 4038 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Any Success With Secrets?
« on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:05 am »

I've made a secret based very similar to the necromancy one, but no matter what I try I never get any books showing up on the topic I've said it should be about... no errors in the log. Any ideas?

(To clarify, I can set people to be one in arena too... So it's just not making books)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:28:28 am by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Any Success With Secrets?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:08 pm »

Still nothing. I can generate world where a god makes a necromancy slab and several books on the subject are made over hundreds of years. Nobody mentions my secret at all though. o_O
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:28 pm »

Even just using the example secret straight out the box doesn't work. Deffo something strange going on here. Nothing I'm trying to mod today has really worked... interactions, syndromes, body parts, everything goes wrong with no errors registered. :P

Can someone else make a secret, just to confirm? Please?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:56:02 pm »

I'm generating a world with a basic non-curse vampirism (bloodsucking can be beneficial...) secret.  Please hold while this goes (man, worldgen takes forever now) and I'll edit this post with the results.

EDIT: That world did not include non-necromancy secrets.  I'm suspecting, though, that it's just not rolled one yet.
I'm generating a much larger world this time, we'll see if that gets me more diversity.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:13:27 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:03:15 pm »

I haven't had time to play with this, but if you add secrets to the raws, and then reduce the number of world gen secrets to zero, it should spit out ONLY your secrets. Reducing it to a low number should make yours more popular.

That's how night creatures and demons work, anyway. The problem is that the randomized ones so wildly outnumber the modded ones that they rarely get used.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:24:49 am »

I haven't had time to play with this, but if you add secrets to the raws, and then reduce the number of world gen secrets to zero, it should spit out ONLY your secrets. Reducing it to a low number should make yours more popular.
Ah!  Yes, quite.  By default, it looks like most worlds start with upwards of 20 random secrets, so the chances of hitting your one are quite low.

EDIT: Confirmed.
In the midwinter of 31, the human vampire Pobe Hatchetshowed learned the secrets of blood from Championyelled the Controllers of War.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:20:15 am by Jay »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:38:38 am »

So spamming the same secret repeatedly will increase the chance...? It's just, it means the user doesn't have to chnage anything.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:41 am »

So spamming the same secret repeatedly will increase the chance...? It's just, it means the user doesn't have to chnage anything.
It's not the most elegant solution, but...  yeah, I guess.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 03:09:40 am »

Also you should still decrease the number of worldgen secrets because even a small world starts with 22 necromantic secrets which are picked first.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »

Also you should still decrease the number of worldgen secrets because even a small world starts with 22 necromantic secrets which are picked first.

There's a set number which are always necromantic? I'm not sure if I understand how the thing works... does it have a total number, and a set number, and then fills the rest (if there is a rest) with random ones... which could just be the hardcoded one anyway?

It's not the most elegant solution, but...  yeah, I guess.

No, you're right, it's the most Dwarvenly.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:12:44 pm »

so could secrets be crafted?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »

I don't... think so... I'm not quite sure how the spread works. There are tags to make it learnable. I don't know what would happen if you got a book in your fort some how.

EDIT: Just set the number of secrets to 0... and still got a necromancy one (and the only book/slab made). What... maybe I've made a mistake.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:43:10 pm by EmperorJon »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 03:24:26 pm »

I don't... think so... I'm not quite sure how the spread works. There are tags to make it learnable. I don't know what would happen if you got a book in your fort some how.

EDIT: Just set the number of secrets to 0... and still got a necromancy one (and the only book/slab made). What... maybe I've made a mistake.
Was this done when you still had the example in the raws?  ;p

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:27:04 pm »

No. :S