Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to serve a necromancer.  (Read 6709 times)

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
How to serve a necromancer.
« on: February 14, 2012, 11:00:03 am »

After several failed attempts to attack necromaner's tower in adventure mode, I started a new fort. After the first migrant wave, I find someone in my cage trap. It's my old friend from the tower, mr. necromancer! Now, as I just started, I don't know how the necromancers work in fortress mode, and I need to ask if anyone has found out yet. If I hole him up into somewhere, or maybe even put him on a chain, will he raise nearby corpses, and are the raised corpses hostile to other invaders?

If It can be pulled out, one can just dump corpses neaby him and have a respawning defence system!
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: How to serve a necromancer.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:55 am »

I have no idea. Sound like a great idea though =P
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:35:36 am »

while I'm not sure if he'll be hostile to other invaders, you can try trapping him in a passageway that will only be opened in the event that hostile show up. Make them path to the necromancer and see what happens (For the first time, just build the cage he's in and connect it to a lever to be released when needed).
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

cludgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:40:32 am »

This is what I picture:

:D put him in the middle of the field with bars holding him in place (as far as I remember if hes in a cage he is in stasis and wont be able to do anything).
 ;D build an ellobrate ramp system over to him from your fort, that has a retracting bridge that when removed will dump remains on the outside of his cage some z levels below. Be sure that the ramp is high enough that he cant raise the dead on your ramp for them to come back in to the fort (though that would be quite FUN)
 8) wait until hostiles come onto screen and pull the lever/s dumping the remains to create an immediate undead army to chase away the new attacking force

the only thing youd have to figure out is how to deal with the undead once the attacking force is dead and gone/raised.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:50 am »

Well, he's raising stuff at the moment, haven't got any invasions yet. However, I just realized that graveyards will be much more awesome if insteads of coffins you make a zombie zoo.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 12:03:37 pm »

Would that prevent ghosts from showing up though?

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »

No, it doesn't, but you can apparently just build a slab while the zombie is 'alive.'

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »

Place Mr Necromancer in a moat that blocks your fortress from the outside world, with a retracting bridge over it. When a siege arrives, kill it, and dump their remains on the bridge, then retract the bridge.

Hey presto! A living dead moat!
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 12:23:37 pm »

The dwarves would be scared of that, but I have a moathouse filled with living dead. However, dumping corpses of flying creatures down there is not smart. I learned the hard way.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:34:02 pm »

A moat full of zombies raised by a caged necromancer... Now I'm starting to wonder if that might get my brother interested in DF. He loves zombies.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 12:46:46 pm »

Is the necromancer raising things from within his cage?   That is awesome and useful.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:20 pm »

Wait, if a necromancer raises a partial skeleton, is it counted as a skeleton or a zombie?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 01:03:10 pm »

No, the necromaner must be out of the game. I built him a little hut with fortification to provide him line of sight to the corpses. Also, there's no difference between zombie an skeleton anymore, skeleton is just treated as a zombie with less flesh. Partial skeletons become partial skeletons.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »

Didn't the blog post say that Skeletons et. al. were replaced with an "Animated" description? IE: Instead of Zombie Cow, you get Animated Cow Corpse.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:27:37 pm »

Excellent!

How far away was the necro's tower? I must know! The future of my necropolis megaproject demands it!
Pages: [1] 2