Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: .34.01 Weaponization Thread  (Read 14104 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: .34.01 Weaponization Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »

Dwarven sugar cannot be eaten raw.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 02:26:59 pm »

Dwarven sugar cannot be eaten raw.
barreled sugar roasts
Unless all prepared food rots regardless of contents, in which case ignore me.

Actually, I just had a brainwave. Stack the holding cells like this so that each consecutive floor is a mirror image of the one above:
Code: [Select]
Legend:
#: Bridge Tile
.: Solid Floor
□: Wall
+: Door
v: Supply shaft for lower floor
=: Food stockpile

□□□□□
                   □###□
                 □□□###□□□
Main Fortress<---.v□###+=□
                 □□□□□□□□□
                 |       |
                 | □□□□□ |
                 | □###□ |
                 □□□###□□□
                 □=+###□v. --->Main Fortress
                 □□□□□□□□□

This allows you to simply drop food directly onto each pile.
A problem with this is herding the cattle onto the bridges when it comes time to drop them. Would a meeting area work? I wouldn't want to station them, as complaining about the draft would rapidly take a toll and as far as I know insane dwarves don't sleep and thus are useless as vampire feed. Also, having a dwarf throw a tantrum and break a bridge would really suck.
I want to avoid using burrows, as the micromanagement involved would take all the fun out of exploiting the living-impaired.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 02:28:53 pm »

Barrels don't prevent rot.

Meeting zones will work, they'll idle there when they have free time.  And admire a fine bridge lately.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:36 pm »

Barrels don't prevent rot.

I don't think dwarven sugar rots at all, though, regardless of what it's stored in. I'm almost certain dimple dye doesn't, and sugar uses the same material template -- the only difference is that sugar has EDIBLE_VERMIN and EDIBLE_COOKED.

Presumably, a prepared meal with sugar as the only material used would have a similarly-infinite shelf life (vermin would still be a problem). Of course, I have no idea how the properties of prepared meals are defined, and it's possible that simply having an [EDIBLE_foo] tag makes a material vulnerable to rot.

IIRC, sugar not rotting would actually be consistent with real life; dry powdered sugar can keep just about indefinitely IRL without spoiling because it's hygroscopic; any microbes attempting to grow on it just shrivel up and die. Just don't get it wet.

If meeting areas work, you could actually give each holding cell an engraved dining room; the dwarf will eat in the dining room, have the stress of being held captive for some unexplained reason washed away, and then return to the retracting bridge when they're finished.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]