Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: .34.01 Weaponization Thread  (Read 14108 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: .34.01 Weaponization Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 06:08:39 am »

Saw a giant hamster.
Didn't see them in the raws.
Those things are alot nastier than I would peg a hamster for.

You have clearly never encountered ultra peepi

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 06:38:40 am »

ZOMBIE CLOWNS.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 08:14:43 am »

So... even demons reanimate as well in evil areas ? Well, I'll be sticking to my untamed wilds biomes, thank you very much.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »

So... even demons reanimate as well in evil areas ? Well, I'll be sticking to my untamed wilds biomes, thank you very much.

Finally, another person with a logical brand of insanity. I'll take giant hamsters, badgers, and whatever the fuck else painting my walls with baby blood over the evil areas. For now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »

This is all conjecture.  No one has reported zombie clowns yet.  Always resort to the rule of "pics or it didn't happen" regarding dwarven science.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 05:01:51 pm »

Impossible.  But if the mist/soot/etc follows any flow, then it can be controlled and weaponized.  Give it a little time before someone cracks the flow dynamics and figures out how to set up a pressure system to redirect dangerous mist.
Haven't played yet (yes, life gets in the way), however theory from what I have read:
    Mists flow over walls

The mist cage would then be: build a tunnel with a bridge on each end.  once the mist is inside, close bridges. If the top of the tunnel is a bridge, you could drop things into the mist.  If the bottom is a bridge, you drop mist onto things.

That said, it also seems that the mist just "appears", so it might "disappear" as well (haven't read anyone commenting as much yet).  If so, it might act like pests and just teleport in and out, making it non-catchable.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 08:15:20 pm »

Aside from occasionally murdering dwarves, I'm seeing an upside to having vampires: they'll serve just fine in your military, are highly invulnerable to damage, they don't eat, drink alcohol or sleep, and they can make shoes when they're off duty.

I'm ordering a ton of fancy blood from the caravan and seeing if that solves the murder thing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »

Aside from occasionally murdering dwarves, I'm seeing an upside to having vampires: they'll serve just fine in your military, are highly invulnerable to damage, they don't eat, drink alcohol or sleep, and they can make shoes when they're off duty.

I'm ordering a ton of fancy blood from the caravan and seeing if that solves the murder thing.

If it does, then we have weaponized vampires, without having to do anything except buy blood. "Here's your bi-weekly blood ration. You know, you are one creepy fucker."

"Aye, that I am. And I'm also you're commanding officer. And probably gonna outlive you to boot."

"*grumbles and leaves*"

dix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 03:04:36 am »

If it does, then we have weaponized vampires, without having to do anything except buy blood. "Here's your bi-weekly blood ration. You know, you are one creepy fucker."

"Aye, that I am. And I'm also you're commanding officer. And probably gonna outlive you to boot."

"*grumbles and leaves*"

And suddenly we are recreating the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, with Vampires and Werewolves in it's ranks.

(There's an idea for a mod, we just need to add Trolls , humans...)

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 04:04:19 am »

Against regular zombies vampire militiamen don't automatically attack them when stationed, and just hang out and wait for the non-vampires to get slaughtered. They'll happily follow kill orders and the ones with solid defense skills seem almost impervious to injury. The caveat is that if they're injured they'll go rest, which they'll technically do forever if no one tends to their wounds. They don't seem to pass out from fractured bones like regular dwarves.

I had planned to train them up, deck them out with weapons and armor, and then wall them in a small room until needed. Zombies attacked and everyone died, except for them and a caged dwarf. I didn't wait for the caged dwarf to starve so I dunno if having only secret vampires in your fort is a game over condition.

Didn't get to see if the blood imports worked.

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 12:03:32 pm »

Not exactly a weponization but useful none the less.

Trap disguised vampires in air-locked burrows, Stone goes in, crafts and such come out. Lye makers go in, corpses come out.

Vampire slave labour!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »

Not exactly a weponization but useful none the less.

Trap disguised vampires in air-locked burrows, Stone goes in, crafts and such come out. Lye makers go in, corpses come out.

Vampire slave labour!

By Armok, this is brilliant.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49:30 pm »

I had an idea about zombie children/babies
On the assumption that zombie children/babies are equally as deadly as zombie adults they would make good soldiers

In addition, large serrated disks could be used for making many zombies from invaders

Finally, ZOMBIES ARE THE ULTIMATE ARENA TRAINING TOOL!!! UNLIKE GOBLINS THEY DONT DIE!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 01:03:11 pm »

Is anyone actually playing the game and doing things, or is everyone content to just spout out about what they want to see?

This isn't a request thread.
This is a result thread.
Stop coming here with ideas.
Start doing your own damn science.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 01:49:30 pm »

I think I posted this elsewhere, but I'll put this here. It's basically a setup to keep a vampire fed while preventing them from feeding on anyone they shouldn't. I haven't actually tested it, but it should work based on what I've heard about vampires in DF (of course, hearsay != science, so I'll test this in my current fort first chance I get):

Mr Frog's Half-Assed Plan For Vampire Concentration and Weaponization

Structure:

[Vampire Luxury Suite] -+- [Holding Cell 1] -+- {...} -+- [Holding Cell 5] -+- [Main Fortress]

Setup:

- Dorf-restricted levers (or, possibly, burrows) are used to lure dwarves into their rooms.

- The Luxury Suite contains a weapon rack with a barracks designated so that the vamp can train, as well as a backdoor leading directly into the main fortress, which is kept locked until needed.

- The Holding Cells are each kept stocked with one useless, preferably friendless migrant each to be used as cattle, along with supplies to keep the cattle alive and happy for an extended period of time (extra supplies are to be dropped in through the ceiling as needed).

- The doors between the Holding Cells are to be kept locked, to prevent the cattle either from witnessing a feeding (and thus "outing" the vamp) or from making friends with each other.

- The door between the outermost Holding Cell and the fortress proper is to be kept locked to prevent the cattle from escaping.

- The door between Holding Cell 1 and the Luxury Suite is to be kept unlocked so that the vamp may access their snack as needed. It may be best to put a bed in the Luxury Suite and not Holding Cell 1, so that an outside dwarf won't accidentally witness a feeding through Holding Cell 1's supply shaft.

Management:

- Draft the vamp and put them in the Luxury Suite; set them to train at the barracks. As they only need to drink (as it were) and not eat or sleep, they should gain skill much more quickly than the standard dwarf.

- Once the vamp drains the Holding Cell 1 resident, move the vamp into the Luxury Suite and lock the door between it and Holding Cell 1. Afterwards, unlock the door between Cells 1 and 2, move the cattle from into 1, re-lock the door, unlock the door between 2 and 3, move the cattle, re-lock the door, and so on until the cattle have all been moved one room up.

- Finally, unlock the door between the outermost Cell and the fortress proper, move a new (preferably useless and friendless) dwarf into the outermost Cell and lock the door. Your vamp's larders are now restocked.

Deployment:

- To deploy the vamp, move the vamp into the Luxury Suite and the cattle into Cell 1 respectively and lock the doors between them.

- Afterwards, open the Luxury Suite's backdoor and station the vamp wherever there is killing to be done. It may be best to seal off the bedrooms and hospital while the vamp's out, in case they try to peel off for a little snack.

- Once the slaughter is complete, station the vamp back in the Luxury Suite and re-lock the backdoor. Unlock the doors between Cell 1 and the Luxury Suite. Unseal the bedrooms if necessary.

Potential Drawbacks:

- Training at a barracks won't increase a vamp's armor skills; however, a danger room can't be used, as this risks harming the cattle.

- A ridiculous amount of micromanaging is needed, what with the constant assignment of levers and locking and unlocking of doors.

A better strategy may be to use a staircase-shaped arrangement of retracting bridges stacked on top of each other, so that the cattle may simply be dropped down each level as needed:
Code: [Select]
Legend:
□: Wall
_: Retracting Bridge Floor
.: Solid Ground
+: Door
v: Supply Shaft

.........v...
.......v□___+ ---> Main Fortress
.....v□_____□
...v□_______□
.v□_________□
□...........+Vamp+ --> Main Fortress

A problem with this is that, since there are no solid floors in the holding cells, (I think) food stockpiles cannot be designated; however, looking at the raws, I don't see anything to suggest that dwarven sugar rots, so just chuck in some barreled sugar roasts and it should keep just fine.

Things to Test:

- Can vampires pick locks to get at sleeping victims? If so, this may mean that lever-operated floodgates may be required to keep the vamp out of sensitive areas.

- How will the new historical migrants impact this? Depending on how often vampires need to feed and how often the feedings are fatal, the increased amount of pre-existing relationships may require careful management to avoid a tantrum spiral.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:00:15 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5