Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: .34.01 Weaponization Thread  (Read 14118 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: .34.01 Weaponization Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »

Lungfish seem to be able to fly.

Use them as ground to goblin missiles?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 01:21:18 pm »

A variant of the dwarven child training pit using zombie refuse would be nice.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 01:28:55 pm »

I'm digging the whole zombie moat idea...
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 03:03:30 pm »

Use the idea of putting a dwarven child in a pit with 13 years food/booze supply, place a zombie cat in there as well. If the baby survives, he is worthy to become a Dwarven Spartan.
If he re-kills the zombie cat, even better.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 03:09:49 pm »

I just realized something, since animals can now reanimate while they are being butchered, cats can now strike back at the butchers. This may require a guard to stand near butcher shops at all times.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:35 pm »

Zombie animals will attack regular animals.

I've seen the same animal come back from the dead many times dispute losing most of their limbs. This would be ridiculously useful for zombie defence. My only concern is if the zombies can be cageable. Also zombies seem to be fairly weak, two zombie ogres were killed by two dogs (until they came back and finished the dogs)

I'll wait until world gens slow down is fixed to build a fort in an older world and study anti-goblin techniques. I'm going to call my future fort porton deep-down.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 10:01:16 pm »

I think the latest in low-maintenance siege defense will be moats full of zombies. Just dig 2 z-levels down around your fortress, build a retractable bridge over the moat, and pull the lever when a vile force of Fun arrives.

The zombies immediately kill the invaders, which re-animate to make the moat that much more deadly for the next siege! You'll lose some goblinite (without a clever harvesting system), but you gain armored zombies.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:54 pm »

You don't gain armored zombies, if I'm understanding it right.  Upon death all items drop, and when they reanimate shortly after, they return naked.  I haven't fort'ed yet, so I haven't witnessed a zombie killing, but if it works the same as regular death...

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11:53 pm »

You don't gain armored zombies, if I'm understanding it right.  Upon death all items drop, and when they reanimate shortly after, they return naked.  I haven't fort'ed yet, so I haven't witnessed a zombie killing, but if it works the same as regular death...

I've killed a mummy by throwing weapons at it, some of which lodged in its body, and on death they all dropped off the corpse as usual. If that's any indication, I guess we'll have to wait until corpses-as-containers are in.

On another note, can a zombie necromancer (or his limbs...?) still raise corpses? If so, you could set up an arena with two or more necromancers, and if one is killed, he is raised by the other(s). It's sort of like a tag team of two medics with übersaws in TF2, constantly keeping one another invulnerable.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 10:29:06 pm »

I am wondering if buried corpses (in their respective tombs) would reanimate and come out, or would they technically be locked in?

Also, I'm not sure how effective a DAS would be at removing the bodies from existence.

But yeah, If your embarking on an evil biome, you don't need any weaponization.. the land itself is a natural weapon with which you just need to.. harvest I suppose, then use that.

Build giant cisterns (sp) to capture all that nasty rain, linked upto a floodgate near an enclosed area preferably, then unleash.

Also, due to the mists, rain, clouds and whatnot, it would probably be best to build a bunch of underground passageways that come out to a roofed area near your fort so to give all the caravans and diplomats (migrants are optional) a fighting chance.  All of those civs would be pretty pissed when all their caravans and diplomats drop dead in your land (as they always do).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39:13 pm »

I have an idea...

Take your ordinary kitten fountain. You know the kind.. rains kittens onto a spike trap?

Well! Remove the spike trap.  The room where the kittens land is 1x1 tile, surrounded by 2 walls.
It has a door that leads to the landing pad from the outside. It is closed by a floodgate. Across from the floodgate, is a vertical bars wall, or a fortification. it allows another 1x1 tile room surrounded by walls to have clear view of the landing pad.  In here, we install a caged necromancer.

Now. The !fun!.

Kittens fall from above. Some die on impact. We pull a lever to release the necromancer from his cage. He sees the dead kittens, and raises them as evil killer zombie kittens. These kittens make short work of the ones that manage to survive the fall. If they fight each other from being trapped in the 1x1 room, the necro can see the corpse, and raises it again.  Critical density is therefor avoided. An infinite number of killer kittens can be stored/generated with this room.

When desired, open the floodgate and release the kittens.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »

I have an idea...

Take your ordinary kitten fountain. You know the kind.. rains kittens onto a spike trap?

Well! Remove the spike trap.  The room where the kittens land is 1x1 tile, surrounded by 2 walls.
It has a door that leads to the landing pad from the outside. It is closed by a floodgate. Across from the floodgate, is a vertical bars wall, or a fortification. it allows another 1x1 tile room surrounded by walls to have clear view of the landing pad.  In here, we install a caged necromancer.

Now. The !fun!.

Kittens fall from above. Some die on impact. We pull a lever to release the necromancer from his cage. He sees the dead kittens, and raises them as evil killer zombie kittens. These kittens make short work of the ones that manage to survive the fall. If they fight each other from being trapped in the 1x1 room, the necro can see the corpse, and raises it again.  Critical density is therefor avoided. An infinite number of killer kittens can be stored/generated with this room.

When desired, open the floodgate and release the kittens.

Okay so I have an idea. If necromancers can raise things by seeing them THROUGH fortifications, you can have him locked in a 1x1 room, have the kitten pad with maximum spray located outside the fortification, and a door to the outside. That way there is minimal chances of the necromancer escaping and you do not need to do any maintenance.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 11:22:13 pm »

That was the idea.

______
X#:Nl
------

Where x is the floodgate, # is the landing pad, : is the fortification, N is the necromancer, and -_l are walls.

No muss, no fuss... hoardes of zombie kitten fun!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 11:27:46 pm »

Hmm. If I weren't a coward (I feel undwarfy) I'd set up a way to drop corpses on the enemies from a hatch above the main gate. Dead body falls, konks them on the head, then proceeds to eat thier face. I am requesting someone to try and do this.

Living dead moat will most defiatly work, so long as you can get the bodies in there.

Same goes for necromancers. Capture them, stick them in a tower overlooking a pit, link cage to lever, make sure he can see out. Deposit enemies and enjoy. As an alternative measure, I propose several zombie huts, obviously little rooms stuffed with dead bits and bodies. Trolls come to smash things, get face full of undead. Then turn on masters. Use cage traps to reintroduce the zombies to the system.

Any proof of these concepts will be appreciated, so i feel I have contributed useful weaponiziation of the undead. All we need now are serrated disk launchers and corpseapults.

The only issue is keeping them dead long enough to await agressors. Or elves.

And damn , someone beat me to posting the necromancer thing. Someone did it actually. Caught him by accident, but the guy weaponized him quite effectivly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5