Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: [0.34.1] Witchcraft Mod (0.6 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus  (Read 39270 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.1] Witcher Mod (0.6 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2012, 11:47:30 am »

As laudable as it is to try to reintroduce archaic words (bully for you!) I will note that if you don't rename it you're going to keep getting these WitcherTM suggestions.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:30 am »

I like your mod Deon, mainly because im learning about interactions from it. I am a bit confused about
the paralysis spell though. Is it ment to just slow down the creature? because i tested it on a horse
in the arena and it was still moving. I have tried to mess with a few things to get complete paralysis
on its legs but for some reason it keeps suffocating, any ideas lol.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2012, 12:27:03 pm »

It reduces its speed to something like 30-60 which is almost nothing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2012, 12:37:47 pm »

As laudable as it is to try to reintroduce archaic words (bully for you!) I will note that if you don't rename it you're going to keep getting these WitcherTM suggestions.
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/12338-the-word-witcher-translation/

"i'm Polish and in my opinion witcher is perfect translation. wiedzmin is male equivalent of wiedzma but the point is that "wiedzmin" word doesnt exist in our dictionaries. its a neologism created by Sapkowski, one of many. its not about being a male witch. we dont know any male witches, do they even exist in fairy tales? witcher is something new and unknown. it sounds as strange in English as it is in Polish and that's how it was intended to be. witcher is not a warlock nor male witch, not even close to it. its unique word existing only in Sapkowski's books. and while you still ponder about it you didnt even noticed you grew fond of it. you cant imagine calling geralt other way. he is a witcher. geralt is the very definition of this word. "

Basically the word from the Polish Novels is a "made up" "male" word, "wiedzmin", from Polish female "wiedzma". "Witcher" is the translation due to it also being a made-up male version of English "Witch" It's actually similar in that respect to the translation of anime series "bakamonogatari" as "ghostory" or "monstory". bakamon = ghost or monster, monogatari = story. So the word-play is carried over into it's closest English equivalent.

For the etymology of witch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca_(etymology)#Old_English_.22wicca.22_and_.22wicce.22

" the Old English word wicca (pronounced //ˈwɪttʃɑ//)"
"In the early mediaeval language of Old English, the term wicca was used to refer to male sorcerors, whilst wicce was used to refer to their female counterparts."

Seems like a word pronounced very much like "witcher" was once used for male sorcerors in England, I stand corrected.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.1] Wicca Mod (0.6 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »

You are so nitpicky, guys :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.1] Wicca Mod (0.6 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »

I'm not saying it's not a word, it's just not common vernacular. Just because you're right doesn't mean you're communicating what you want to.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.1] Vedmak Mod (0.6 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2012, 01:01:40 pm »

I would rotate possible names for the mod a few times per day just to stop you from discussing this silly issue :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.1] Witcher Mod (0.5 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:09 pm »

I forgot to mention that dwarves and goblins get cities in 0.5 because it's for the sake of the good experience and not looking for goblins in empty areas instead of dark towers.
Dwarven cities are always in the mountains.

Playing as an outsider puts you in such a mountain city.

That means it is impossible to fast travel and generally...breaks stuff.

....yeah, happened to me. Can't play as a witcher because I always start out inside a city that's on a mountain, unable to fast travel anywhere and lots of bugs popping up, like misplaced buildings etc.

EDIT: Also seeing a lot of confusion being raised, I suggest you switch the name to something that doesn't lead folks that much into believing that this is a mod about the witchers from Sapkowski's books (As others already suggested) :P Warlock Mod or Witchcraft Mod could do,

Yarrrr bump!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

Oh wait yeah deon you might want to change the witcher image to something else and change the name back.
I blame the fact that some guy makes a book about a uncommon word, then some other guy makes a game off of it.
kinda trademarks the name and limits it's use.
I say keep it that way you teach folks more about the word "Witcher"

it's like saying Genesis will make folks think of Sega and expect the whole mod be loaded down with golden axes and outrun, phantsy stars.
They also see the witcher artwork on the, you know, main post.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2012, 01:26:01 pm »

It doesn't matter all that much, as the important bit (magic, potions and crafting) is also in the main title.

Deon, quick! Update so we can rerail this back to discussion of how clever you are!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.1] Witchcraft Mod (0.6 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »

You guys are intolerable... Here's your picture.

I forgot to mention that dwarves and goblins get cities in 0.5 because it's for the sake of the good experience and not looking for goblins in empty areas instead of dark towers.
Dwarven cities are always in the mountains.

Playing as an outsider puts you in such a mountain city.

That means it is impossible to fast travel and generally...breaks stuff.

....yeah, happened to me. Can't play as a witcher because I always start out inside a city that's on a mountain, unable to fast travel anywhere and lots of bugs popping up, like misplaced buildings etc.

EDIT: Also seeing a lot of confusion being raised, I suggest you switch the name to something that doesn't lead folks that much into believing that this is a mod about the witchers from Sapkowski's books (As others already suggested) :P Warlock Mod or Witchcraft Mod could do,

Yarrrr bump!
You can easily come down from the mountains though. But yeah, I know what you mean.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.1] Witchcraft Mod (0.6 version) - magic, potions and crafting, Phoebus
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2012, 02:32:22 pm »

Is version 4: ASCII the same as ver6 Full? Cause I wanna play this but I don't really use graphic mode/sets, the sprites are too small for me to enjoy it usually.

nevermind didn't realize it was set up as a seperate version of DF.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:37:53 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Inmate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2012, 03:06:35 pm »

\
Is version 4: ASCII the same as ver6 Full? Cause I wanna play this but I don't really use graphic mode/sets, the sprites are too small for me to enjoy it usually.

nevermind didn't realize it was set up as a seperate version of DF.

Curiosity's sake, I'm unfamiliar with the way the version with the graphic pack is set up.
Is there a way to play the 0.6 version without the little graphics? I didn't mind them at first, but walking through a field seeing dark green blocks mixed with light green blocks and not being able to tell a kobold from a shrub is kind of killing some of the feel for me.
Until then, 0.4 it is!

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2012, 03:07:47 pm »

Thanks for the clear up Deon, also i managed to find a way around the suffocating thing by adding the [NOBREATHE] tag
but some strange things are still happening such as when they are no longer paralyzed they seem to stay on the ground
with no apparent injuries.

Also it shows that the syndrome is still in effect so even if you try using the spell again after taking away the
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED] tag nothing happens.

Oh yeh and for those that are interested in the complete paralyze thing here you go.

[INTERACTION:PARALYSIS]
   [I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
   [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
      [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:victim]
   [I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:paralysis]
         [CE_ADD_TAG:NOBREATHE]
         [CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:10000:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:5:END:180]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:16 pm »

Haha, no wonder they suffocated. 10000 severity paralysis stops their lungs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12