Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1042563 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7710 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:53 pm »

Instant win. Hooray for cave spider silk scimitars!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: May 18, 2014, 08:41:32 pm »

Instant win. Hooray for cave spider silk scimitars!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So is it possible to make it so there is a civilization of necromancers and they lead over the undead? So you could go into a town and all the soldiers and workers will be zombies and skeletons while the king would be a necromancer. I assume it'd work with modification of castes, but I have no idea.

Sort of. You could look at Masterwork's warlocks as an example. It's one creature, but with separate castes for warlocks, ghouls, and skeletons.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: May 18, 2014, 09:40:10 pm »

Would those castes have random species or would they all be uniform skeletons?

Also, I want to make a net as a custom weapon. I assume I'd have to somehow hook up a ranged weapon to some sort of spider web sort of reaction, any advice?
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: May 18, 2014, 09:49:53 pm »

Would those castes have random species or would they all be uniform skeletons?

Also, I want to make a net as a custom weapon. I assume I'd have to somehow hook up a ranged weapon to some sort of spider web sort of reaction, any advice?

I believe the ones in Masterwork are just generic skeletons, though in fort mode they can be upgraded to have their bones be made of metal instead.

That weapon sounds like it would require DFHack's itemsyndrome script, as weapons in vanilla cannot do things like catch people.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: May 18, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »

Ah, shame. I don't know how to use DFHack stuff and I don't think I want to make people use it, so that's out.

Hmm...

Alright last question for the night, is is possible to attach something like a catapult to an animal? I'm thinking it would have to be some odd abnormality which is sewn to the creatures unfortunate back (and on retrospect, that means you'd find them in the wild which I hope to avoid somehow) but as long as it works.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: May 18, 2014, 10:32:22 pm »

Alright last question for the night, is is possible to attach something like a catapult to an animal? I'm thinking it would have to be some odd abnormality which is sewn to the creatures unfortunate back (and on retrospect, that means you'd find them in the wild which I hope to avoid somehow) but as long as it works.

I suppose you could make something to make it seem like a creature has a mounted weapon, but you cannot actually have an animal wear equipment.

You could do it by giving the animal an interaction that allows them to hurl stone globs via syndrome.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: May 18, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »

Hmm, does that mean it's impossible for creatures to wield weapons like trolls do in sieges? I can't just make a huge crossbow that only they can use due to the size?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:37 pm »

Hmm, does that mean it's impossible for creatures to wield weapons like trolls do in sieges? I can't just make a huge crossbow that only they can use due to the size?

You can't make your creatures wield weapons in fort mode. Even if you could, most creatures don't have hands, so they wouldn't be able to pick up the weapons in the first place.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: May 19, 2014, 06:04:58 am »

Ah, shame. Thanks anyway!

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: May 19, 2014, 08:20:50 am »

Sorry for asking so many questions... I feel like I might have reached my limit for today. I have another one if it is not too much trouble.

Is it possible to add the announcement "The merchants from [civ] will be leaving soon." to the data/init/announcement.txt so I can pause and center on the merchants before they leave?

Thanks in advance!
Is it not possible?

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: May 19, 2014, 08:43:12 am »

It's not part of the announcements that support that system, so no. It's hardcoded.

The best you could do is have Soundsense listen to the gamelog and give you a heads-up when it happens or something.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: May 19, 2014, 06:51:39 pm »

So I made a new caste of Spider Queens for my Dark Elves.

Everything works but in game they are called Dark Elves, and if I look in reports they're Dark Elf Spider Queens.

Anyway to fix this?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: May 19, 2014, 11:14:32 pm »

So I made a new caste of Spider Queens for my Dark Elves.

Everything works but in game they are called Dark Elves, and if I look in reports they're Dark Elf Spider Queens.

Anyway to fix this?

Do they have proper caste naming tokens? It may help if you post the creature for us to see.

Slight problem with some armour.

As far as I can tell, head and legwear seem to be fine, but the gloves and bodywear are subject to wear. They all have [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS], so I'm not sure why they are doing this, or why only bodywear and gloves are doing it.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK]
[NAME:cloak:cloaks]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[CHAIN_METAL_TEXT]
[UBSTEP:MAX]
[LBSTEP:1]
[LAYER:COVER]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:15]
[LAYER_PERMIT:100]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[HARD][SOFT]
[METAL][LEATHER]
[BARRED][SCALED]
[STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]
[STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_METAL]

[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT]
[NAME:shirt:shirts]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[CHAIN_METAL_TEXT]
[UBSTEP:1]
[LBSTEP:1]
[LAYER:OVER]
[LAYER_SIZE:15]
[LAYER_PERMIT:50]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
[HARD][SOFT]
[METAL][LEATHER]
[BARRED][SCALED]

[ITEM_GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES]
[NAME:glove:gloves]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[CHAIN_METAL_TEXT]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[LAYER:UNDER]
[LAYER_SIZE:10]
[LAYER_PERMIT:10]
[METAL][LEATHER]
[HARD][SOFT]

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: May 20, 2014, 05:47:29 am »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: May 20, 2014, 01:08:58 pm »

This name bug you mentioned, are you seeing that in the arena? The arena defaults for the NAME when giving names to creatures. Based on your code, it should work just fine in adventure or fort mode. Since that is apparently not the whole creature, are there any [CASTE_NAME:whatever] that are not inside a caste? Such as:
Code: [Select]
[NAME:dark elf:dark elves:dark elven]
[CASTE_NAME:dark elf:dark elves:dark elven]
[CASTE:SPIDER_QUEEN]
[CASTE_NAME:spider queen:spider queens:spider queen]
?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 544