Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1041961 times)

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6120 on: September 28, 2013, 07:14:02 am »

[...]
They also have an entity file, and a language file if that's needed too.
Also if I remember right there may only be one entity file (the entity_default), isn't it?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: September 28, 2013, 07:18:31 am »

[...]
They also have an entity file, and a language file if that's needed too.
Also if I remember right there may only be one entity file (the entity_default), isn't it?
Nope, you can have as many entity files as you want. Or any raw file types, for that matter.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: September 28, 2013, 11:36:58 am »

Hi Guys, just a few more questions:

Would the tokens POWER, LAIR and LARGE_PREDATOR conflict in any way?
I'm trying to make a LARGE_PREDATOR (possibly also AMBUSHER) that also claims lairs for adventure mode and can rise to rule entities. Would the tags work? The creature is not an entity creature, but will have INTELLIGENT, CAN_SPEAK, CANOPENDOORS etc..

just to check, as I've assumed it until now, but we can give non-entity creatures intelligent and can speak etc tags ,and they work, correct?

Is it feasible to make a creature mounted on another creature? For example, a horse, by merging the two creatures body templates to make it function like a beast and rider?
Could I make the creature ''mounted'' on top, survive without the horse, and force it to separate if the lower creature section is hit?
For this I'm imagining having to use two separate [THOUGHT] and [STANCE] sections, and using [SOCKET] to forcibly separate the rider from the mount if the mount ''dies'', and somehow separating the two nervous systems/internals and vascular tissues to stop wounds to the mount affecting the rider....
If possible, am I going about it the right way?
I'm open to alternate solutions - I'm trying to make a reliably and regularly mounted entity creature, which I know isn't possible in the regular way...

I have no experience with quickfort, but can anyone who has experience tell me if quickfort can be used to make above ground constructions? If it can, would multiple z-level constructions have to be put together floor by floor or can it handle multiple layer construction?
Only really need it for walls floors ramps and stairs, no furniture.

Can we give caste's different skin, eye, hair colour etc? I assume it can be done - I'm assuming you would just add the same tags describing hair, eye colour etc under the desired CASTE, would that work?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:34:54 pm by TheOnlySolitaire »

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: September 28, 2013, 01:03:34 pm »

How would you make a caste with a different material for bones, like iron?
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: September 28, 2013, 01:27:37 pm »

I'm trying to make a LARGE_PREDATOR (possibly also AMBUSHER) that also claims lairs for adventure mode and can rise to rule entities. Would the tags work? The creature is not an entity creature, but will have INTELLIGENT, CAN_SPEAK, CANOPENDOORS etc..

They don't conflict, but they probably won't behave together the way you think they do.

just to check, as I've assumed it until now, but we can give non-entity creatures intelligent and can speak etc tags ,and they work, correct?

Yeah.

Is it feasible to make a creature mounted on another creature? For example, a horse, by merging the two creatures body templates to make it function like a beast and rider?
Could I make the creature ''mounted'' on top, survive without the horse, and force it to separate if the lower creature section is hit?
For this I'm imagining having to use two separate [THOUGHT] and [STANCE] sections, and using [SOCKET] to forcibly separate the rider from the mount if the mount ''dies'', and somehow separating the two nervous systems/internals and vascular tissues to stop wounds to the mount affecting the rider....
I'm open to alternate solutions - I'm trying to make a reliably and regularly mounted entity creature, which I know isn't possible in the regular way...

Having two separate THOUGHT and STANCE sections means that the rider would go unconscious if the horse's head is hit. Also, if one brain's gone, they'll still ride the horse. SOCKET separation would probably cause death.

Can we give caste's different skin, eye, hair colour etc? I assume it can be done - I'm assuming you would just add the same tags describing hair, eye colour etc under the desired CASTE, would that work?

Yes.

How would you make a caste with a different material for bones, like iron?

Give them a different body detail plan that uses INORGANIC:IRON instead of LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE for bones.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6125 on: September 28, 2013, 01:38:08 pm »

This is fine, any speaking creature with the [POWER] token can potentially rule entities.  Keep in mind that there are certain prerequisites for a given entity to be ruled by monsters though: they must have the VARIABLE_POSITIONS tag indicating their ruler position, and must either consider murder ACCEPTABLE or have a pantheon (so the creature can masquerade as a god.)  Considering murder to be acceptable helps a lot, apparently because monsters and demons usually rise to power by offing the previous ruler.

This would be very difficult to pull off, but not impossible.  First off, there is no way to make separate circulatory systems, and if the 'mount' part is reasonably large and has blood in it, losing it will almost definitely kill the creature immediately, so make sure the mount has no blood in it.  Second, losing any STANCE part always forces the creature to crawl, even taking out one leg of a centipede will cripple it.  Third, the part of the creature that survives (presumably the rider) must contain the UPPERBODY part at least and will be considered the 'core' of the creature, so it's actually the 'mount' that would be 'knocked off' when dismounting.  I'm not sure exactly how the SOCKET tag works with complex, branching body parts, but you might have an issue there as well (you might want to have a small 'connecting' part between the mount and the rider that can be easily cut, if you want them to lose their mount once in a while.)

It can sort of be done, but when building it, think of it less like a mount with a rider on it and more like a person with a giant horse-shaped limb growing out of their butt, its 'legs' flailing in the air and kicking or biting at things.

An alternate method (and more complicated) is to give the creature a 'dismount' interaction that transforms them into their 'unmounted' form, and give them a 'suppression' interaction that adds a temporary syndrome preventing them from using the 'dismount' interaction, and that requires the 'mount' bodypart in order to use.  So once they lose the mount, they'll stop using 'suppression', and then they will be able to 'dismount', turning them into a properly dismounted creature.  Getting the timing to work right will be a pain though, and the creature will probably dismount on occasion even when the mount still exists (this might not be too terrible though).

Yes, this is how it's done.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: September 28, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »

Thanks for the answers guys :)

So with the potentially horrifying mounted riders: adding [STANCE] parts to both the mount and the riders legs, would end up with a rider falling over/crawling if one of the mount and riders 6 legs was crippled/removed?
IIRC spiders don't fall over when they lose one leg though? It has been a while since I fought a spider, so I am probably wrong here... I'll try test it in the arena next time I'm by my desktop...

I'll try and test the effect of the SOCKET separation, if it doesn't work I'll try for the interaction method you suggested Indigo, I'm still getting to grips with them, but it's good training I guess!

Good observation on the [THOUGHT] tokens by the way Putnam, it didn't even occur to me what I had written I'm so tired; Of course that would happen! 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: September 28, 2013, 08:04:26 pm »

Asking since I am unable to test right now: If an interaction resurrects an enemy creature, then transforms into another, will it still be hostile? Will an animated corpse that is then transformed still be hostile to non-undead?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: September 28, 2013, 08:11:09 pm »

Asking since I am unable to test right now: If an interaction resurrects an enemy creature, then transforms into another, will it still be hostile? Will an animated corpse that is then transformed still be hostile to non-undead?

Yes and yes.

Enemies will still have their invasion I.D./marauder flags in place and transformed zombies will still be [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE].

Though you can remove the life opposition tag through the interaction.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: September 28, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »

Yes and yes.

Enemies will still have their invasion I.D./marauder flags in place and transformed zombies will still be [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE].

Though you can remove the life opposition tag through the interaction.
Thanks for the quick answer.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: September 29, 2013, 06:59:41 am »

The [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] token.
Does it hurt to include it in a civ even if it has all the nobles it needs?
Basically can you add it as a back up just in case you forgot something and everything will be fine if you forgot nothing?
Or will it result in strange behavior?

On a related subject.
What noble positions does a civ NEED to properly function in ...
a) world gen
b) fortress mode

Also I wanted to bump my last question.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: September 29, 2013, 07:34:07 am »

Worldgen does not need any noble positions to work normally, although you may want to have MAKE_TRADE_AGREEMENTS. Fortress mode, on the other hand, requires lots of nobles for full functionality. I suggest you just browse the wiki for tokens you think you need and then make some positions for those.

To be honest, I don't know exactly what VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL does (if it removes existing positions or not), although I do know that variable positions do not show up in fort mode.

About your last question: Yes, this doubling will work as intended.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: September 29, 2013, 01:36:26 pm »

To be honest, I don't know exactly what VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL does (if it removes existing positions or not), although I do know that variable positions do not show up in fort mode.

Variable positions just creates generic noble (law-maker, lords/ladies) and soldier positions (generals, war-lords) that only work in world-gen.

They do work alongside preexisting positions, and can actually show up in fort-mode. Or rather, the noble ladies and lords can migrate, and begin to make their own mandates. You just can't assign any of the variable positions in the noble screen, in fact the positions won't appear until one migrates to your fort, and none of them will be able to do any useful noble jobs, like record-keeping or managing.

Because of this I recommend not using variable positions on a race you can play as in Fort Mode, I tried and had 3 "lords" who did nothing but demand things.

mcbucko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: September 29, 2013, 06:27:27 pm »

I have some questions about castes

1. Can you set castes to specific biomes (ie ice wolf in tundra, fire wolves at volcanoes) and have them work as long as you have matching male and female castes tagged for the biomes?
2. Is there a downside to having a lot of castes besides cluttering up the arena selection screen?

Also would it be possible to have vampirism remove the alcohol dependent tag? Just so any in a fortress don't start the inevitable slide towards near uselessness due to not being able to drink.   

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: September 29, 2013, 06:51:03 pm »

1. no
2. no

3. no
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 544