Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1042680 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2700 on: September 23, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »

Heyo guys, coming back from half a year of absence from modding to see if I can finish my ponymod fork, and I got a quick question.

Is there any way to make a creature emit an object or material that would be harvestable and usable in reactions?
For instance I was considering making giant crystal clusters "creature" that would periodically release dust or shards, that could be harvested and turned into gems in a workshop.
Is this currently possible at all?
You could possibly use a variant of the "cloning" workaround. Basically make the creature have a periodic transformation that transforms them for an instant into a creature with a limb that immediately falls off (make the hand and body out of stable materials, but then make the arm out of something that instantly boils) and then back into their normal form. Then make the hand have an extra butcher object of whatever item or crystal you want it to drop. This would result in a creature that dropped a body part that could be butchered into a "crystal" or whatever every once in a while.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: September 23, 2012, 01:17:33 pm »

Heyo guys, coming back from half a year of absence from modding to see if I can finish my ponymod fork, and I got a quick question.

Is there any way to make a creature emit an object or material that would be harvestable and usable in reactions?
For instance I was considering making giant crystal clusters "creature" that would periodically release dust or shards, that could be harvested and turned into gems in a workshop.
You could possibly use a variant of the "cloning" workaround. Basically make the creature have a periodic transformation that transforms them for an instant into a creature with a limb that immediately falls off (make the hand and body out of stable materials, but then make the arm out of something that instantly boils) and then back into their normal form. Then make the hand have an extra butcher object of whatever item or crystal you want it to drop. This would result in a creature that dropped a body part that could be butchered into a "crystal" or whatever every once in a while.

The ingenuity of this community amazes me sometimes.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: September 24, 2012, 10:12:29 am »

Out of curiosity, will a pet turned into an intelligent creature, say, a dwarf, remain pet-like?

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:03 am »

If I wanted to get plant seeds out of a reaction, where the specific type of plant can't be identified in the product (as the reagent may be one of a number of plants), would this be the appropriate product line?

[REAGENT:plant:3:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CUSTOM_RXN_MAT]
     [PRODUCT:100:3:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:SEED]

or should GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:SEED instead be GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:NONE ?

I guess what I am asking is:  What is the correct way to obtain plant seeds as a reaction product?

_____

Edit:  If I gave the plants the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RXN_SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED] line, calling out the specific plant_mat SEED as a material reaction product, could I then change my PRODUCT line to:
     [PRODUCT:100:3:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:RXN_SEED_MAT] ?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:01:28 pm by Wannabehero »

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: September 24, 2012, 03:06:38 pm »

You could also make a "shard" tissue layer of the creature as a shearable material, so your dwarves could periodically break off those crystals through the shearing labor.  Not quite as ingenious as the periodic transformation, but still functional and a bit more straightforward.

It might require a bit of work to get the sheared tissue to be cut-able into a gem (the game will count sheared tissue layers as body parts; I'm not sure that even with the appropriate material tokens if the game will allow them to be cut as gems).  Roy's approach has the benefit that a gemstone can be easily produced as a product of butchering through the EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT token.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:23:53 pm by Wannabehero »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: September 24, 2012, 05:44:45 pm »

Just interested for own knowledge, may attempt to actually do a lot of work on this.

General Animal Mods.

1. Is making animals trainable simply as easy as adding [TRAINABLE]? (yes i did look it up on dogs).
From the looks of it (looking at giant cave swallows) the answer is yes, but confirmation would be nice

2. Is there a problem with making animals which may not be fully tame "Trained" i.e war training? I.e lets say i add it so i can train badgers, i get a badger caught in a cage, i select it to be trained, it becomes semi-wild, can i immediately war train it? or does it need to be "Tame"? If i can train it to War, what happens when it goes wild again? Most people should know from training GCS, as they shouldn't become "tame" without going to domestic knowledge or training infants?! Sadly haven't caught anything in my traps which is trainable.

3. Is there a way to make ALL animals which can be tamed so they can be Trained for War/Hunting in one fell swoop?

4. Is there already such a mod in existence which basically just changes a great deal of animals so that they're trainable? Or does something somewhat similar?!

5a. How difficult is it to make some animals (lets say dogs) be able to learn skills i.e dabbling biter, proficient fighter.
5b. Would using biting/fighter from dwarves actually help dogs at all?
5c. How hard would it be to add something like "Claw user" i.e Dabbling Claw User, and this actually increasing whilst fighting.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:46:22 pm by Bigheaded »
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: September 24, 2012, 09:46:30 pm »

Just interested for own knowledge, may attempt to actually do a lot of work on this.

General Animal Mods.

1. Is making animals trainable simply as easy as adding [TRAINABLE]? (yes i did look it up on dogs).
From the looks of it (looking at giant cave swallows) the answer is yes, but confirmation would be nice

2. Is there a problem with making animals which may not be fully tame "Trained" i.e war training? I.e lets say i add it so i can train badgers, i get a badger caught in a cage, i select it to be trained, it becomes semi-wild, can i immediately war train it? or does it need to be "Tame"? If i can train it to War, what happens when it goes wild again? Most people should know from training GCS, as they shouldn't become "tame" without going to domestic knowledge or training infants?! Sadly haven't caught anything in my traps which is trainable.

3. Is there a way to make ALL animals which can be tamed so they can be Trained for War/Hunting in one fell swoop?

4. Is there already such a mod in existence which basically just changes a great deal of animals so that they're trainable? Or does something somewhat similar?!

5a. How difficult is it to make some animals (lets say dogs) be able to learn skills i.e dabbling biter, proficient fighter.
5c. How hard would it be to add something like "Claw user" i.e Dabbling Claw User, and this actually increasing whilst fighting.

I'm not exactly sure but ti think that's from the [can_learn] tag, [intelligent] would also give it but that means they can speak as well'.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: September 24, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »

Also, you would have to rename "striker" to "claw user" using the PROFESSION_NAME tag.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:32 am »

Guess you guys arn't sure on most of the questions i asked :P

Also, i'm not intending to remove dwarves, so i would still want striker to exist. I meant ADD a new profession?!

2. Put simply: Can "trained" (instead of "tame") animals be trained? and if so what happens when they go back to being wild they lose training?

Answer: add "can learn", new question: can i not allow speech for them? (yes/no)
5c. How hard would it be to add a profession something like "Claw user" i.e Dabbling Claw User, and this actually increasing whilst fighting.

Thanks for help so far!
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2709 on: September 25, 2012, 11:22:10 am »

Adding new professions is impossible. You can rename them for each creature individually however. Same end result gameplay-wise.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:16 am »

Guess you guys arn't sure on most of the questions i asked :P

This is true.  Do you still want answers if we aren't sure? ;)

1.  Yes
2.  No, don't think so
3.  No; well, it's possible you will think of and implement some clever script trick*
4.  Dunno.  Almost certainly someone has done it.  Whether they've posted in a way that you can find it is another question.
5a.  CAN_LEARN (according to wiki this has side effects like prevents adventurers from butchering the creature)
5b.  ... Probably?  why not? :)
5c.  Rename the profession using PROFESSION_NAME

find in files all "[MUNDANE]"
replace "[MUNDANE][TRAINABLE]"
?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: September 25, 2012, 01:11:18 pm »

3) Do a mass find/replace for the [PET] token and replace it with [PET][TRAINABLE]. Then do a mass find/replace for [PET_EXOTIC] and replace it with [PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE]. That should enable training on everything that could normally be tamed, though you will end up with some weird [PET][TRAINABLE][TRAINABLE] stuff in your raws. Shouldn't make any difference gameplay wise.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: September 25, 2012, 01:30:29 pm »

those 2 replies are fantastic, thanks! not 100% sure about mundane, but pet and pet exotic sounds more correct, will double check vermin don't have either though :P I don't need Hunting Damselflies.

I probably won't bother at the moment with changing the name of professions.

Eventually, i was intending (when my coding gets a lot lot lot lot lot lot better) to hopefully make a program somewhat similar to lazy newb pack but for animals so you can select which animals you wish to make trainable.

Surely others have had some amusing thoughts about making armies of attacking Fluffy Wamblers or capybaras. Although it kills the framerate after hitting about 200, although doesn't change much after that (i've hit 600 animals + 100 dwarves + 100 captured random stuff with no problems)

Will check back to see if anyone has anything to add, but i'm happy with those responses, thanks all!

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »

So I've been working on the ponymod branch for a couple of days now, and I suddenly seem to have acquired the infamous errorless worldgen crash..
Whenever I make a new world, the game crashes to desktop without an error log after a few years of gen (sometimes even in year 1)
I know I've had this problem before and they tend to come and go, but I was wondering, does anyone know of any specific things that could be causing this issue?

I've not made any changes to creatures or entities since before the problem arose, I've only been working on reactions and buildings, so I don't think any of my recent additions could be causing it.

So.. any ideas?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2714 on: September 25, 2012, 05:22:39 pm »

Usual culprit:
Semi/Megabeasts without lair/sphere assigned.
Entities.

Check all your megabeast and add sphere and lairs. If this doesnt change anything, remove one entity at a time, trying worldgens for each entity removed. If you isolated the entity, gratulations. Otherwise: Good luck.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 544