Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1042579 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2400 on: August 12, 2012, 11:19:41 pm »

Has anyone done any science on these tokens?
ON_BREAK, CAVE_ADAPT, MILK_COUNTER, GROUNDED_ANIMAL_ANGER

They are counters for interactions, so I think I can make dwarve that are on break have a "dwarf1 is bored and looks around" "dwarf2 starts smoking a pipe while on break" (and actually adding a smoke effect) and so forth for ON_BREAK

I could make vampire dwarves that get positive effects the higher their CAVE_ADAPT counter is, so they are weakened if they go into the sun (no bonus) but get stronger and faster and so forth, while staying away from the surface.

MILK_COUNTER would allow a creature that has to be milked constantly, otherwise it goes berserk. It would add fun. Add a highly instable creature that gives high-value milk (or any other liquid, venom probably) that has to be attended. Imagine a sort of giant insect that builds up venom, and if it is not milked/venom taken out, it will start attacking people around it, just to release the build-up venom. That would make farming/herding this kind of animal a lot more interesting. (FUN)

GROUNDED_ANIMAL_ANGER is similar. Too many dogs on one spot, constantly clawing at each other? One goes berserk. Or starts a rabies infection. Teaches people not to stack 100 pets in one place.
EDIT: Post Fail

Their first part is doable to an exstent. As you would have all dwarves smoking pipes. you can however make it so whatever interaction that dwarves auto-cast on themselves, has a bunch of "idle" effects, and the interaction is timed for a month? So all effects are cosntantly shuffled. Say you have "Dwarf starts smoking 50%" and "Dwarf takes out deck of cards, plays go-fish 50%" sometimes a dwarf on break will smoke, or play go-fish, or do both at once.

The other two ideas erm... A bit much? I for one would not bring those types of creatures along for the fact of "I don't want more micro-managent" I know you will make it optional... Right?

Also why pasture 100 animals on 1 tile when you can place 100 animals in a cage?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:27:36 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: August 13, 2012, 04:12:00 pm »

Alternatively you could use the milk counter to make a creature that transforms after a certain amount of time without needing it to excrete anything to infect itself with a syndrome. All you need to do is make it so that the creature is only actually milkable with a higher value then whatever would cause the transformation. So if the creature transforms when milk counter = 10,000, then you would only make them milkable at 10,001. It would actually be a much better work around then most others right now.

On the other good side you could have a creature that makes special milk if it isn't milked for X amount of time.

As for the 100 animals idea, it would certainly make dog cage-bombs more exciting. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: August 13, 2012, 07:47:03 pm »

Does egg size have any effect on the viability of eggs?

I added the following lines to voracious cave crawlers, and while the female has been laying eggs they're pale grey and don't appear on the Kitchen screen. They do get taken to the food pile and they appear in the egg list on the stocks screen. They didn't hatch despite being sat on for a long time (several months), and the door to the nestbox was locked as soon as the female was in there.

Beneath the CASTE_NAME line:
   [CHILD:3][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:cave crawler hatchling:cave crawler hatchlings]

In the female caste:
      [LAYS_EGGS]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL:SOLID]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_WHITE:LIQUID]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
         [EGG_SIZE:8]
         [CLUTCH_SIZE:10:40]

Can you even mod an existing fortress so that creatures that weren't genned with egglaying can now do so?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: August 13, 2012, 08:07:25 pm »

I believe that yes, you can mod an existing fortress to have egg layers where there were none.

As for egg size, I know that it has no effect upon the duration of time it takes for an egg to hatch, but for viability? I don't believe that it does by I don't know if anybody has done any actual science on the matter.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: August 14, 2012, 12:43:13 pm »

Question: when making a buidling, how can I set a tile's colour to be that of the construction material?

In this case I'm making a workshop that will require a table (and only that), how can I make so that the table keeps the colour of the one used to build it?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2405 on: August 14, 2012, 01:54:15 pm »

[COLOR:1:1:MAT]

so instead of COLOR:1:1:0:0:1] for gray

[COLOR:1:1:MAT]
will make the tile take on the color of the first build mat item.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: August 14, 2012, 02:25:03 pm »

Thanks, it helped quite a bit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding creatures
« Reply #2407 on: August 15, 2012, 12:08:39 am »

Trying to mod my first new creature into the game. I would like the sand dunes to be covered in colonies of DESERT PENGUINS.

I've made the creature itself without too much trouble, but the problem comes when I try to map it to a Phoebus texture.
raw\graphics\graphics_custom.txt
graphics_custom

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:CUSTOM]
   [FILE:phoebus/newtiles.png]
   [TILE_DIM:16:16]
   [PAGE_DIM:10:4]

// *****************************************************************
// CUSTOM ANIMALS
// *****************************************************************

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:BIRD_PENGUIN_DESERT]
   [DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:0:1:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [ANIMATED:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:0:2:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
   !!!!!SKELETON:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:0:3:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton

Here is newtiles.png

Instead of using the 0:0 coordinates for newtiles.png, DF is using the 0:0 tile for animals.png. So the penguin looks like a cat and it lays eggs.
Have I missed a crucial detail, or do I need to incorporate my new tileset into animals.png?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Modding creatures
« Reply #2408 on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:28 am »

[TILE_PAGE:CUSTOM]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:BIRD_PENGUIN_DESERT]
   [DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
ask for the CUSTOM tilepage you just declared, not the PHOEBUS_ANIMALS tilepage.
[DEFAULT:CUSTOM:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:05 am »

When I run the following reaction:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:RAID_ELF_ORC]
[NAME:Raid elvish camp]
[BUILDING:ORC_RAIDERS:CUSTOM_E]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LONGBOAT:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:5:WEAPON:NONE:METAL:NONE]
[REAGENT:coins:5000:COIN:NONE:INORGANIC:RUSTY_IRON]
[PRODUCT:50:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LONGBOAT:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[PRODUCT:50:1:TOOL:ELF_LOOT_CRATE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:SIEGECRAFT]

In game, the reaction tip says that for the reagent B it is looking "rock" weapons.  In fact, it takes 5 metal weapons just fine.  I know from the wiki that METAL is simply an alias for INORGANIC so I'm not too surprised there was a problem.  Do you have any suggestions so I can get it to say the in game text to match the reaction?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:55:05 am by smakemupagus »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:04 am »

Rock means "Inorganic", which includes all metals, so you're fine there.

METAL isn't actually a material type anymore since 31.01; it's an alias for INORGANIC.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: August 15, 2012, 11:59:27 am »

Sorry I ninja edited while you were replying.  Yeah, the reaction works fine, I just didn't want the in-game tip to mislead any players more than necessarily.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2412 on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »

Quick question:

Do underground megabeasts work ? Like this:

GIANT_CAVE_ETTIN
Description: the blind, albino cousin of the ettin
MEGABEAST
UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:1

I would love to test it, but with megabeasts arriving to rarely I wondered if this thing would turn up at all, turn up on the surface, or turn up in cavern 1. I know layer-linked entities ignore the underground-depths and do sieges/ambushes in any cavern...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: August 15, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »

I don't believe that underground megabeasts work in the sense that they will attack from underground and still be announced as a megabeast, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I believe that if you did this they would just turn up on the surface if they did attack.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2414 on: August 15, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »

Ok, thanks. I was looking for this "xyz has arrived" to be announced. Anyway, I do have another idea/question:

A creature that can resurrect bodyparts and transform them into a copy of itself. The catch: It can only target ITS OWN bodyparts for this. That means a squad of hammerdwarves will kill it, a squad of axedwarves will die and create 25 more creatures.  It would make a great megabeast, because you need a special tactic to defeat it.

The question is: Can I restrict it to target only its own bodyparts ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 544