Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1043952 times)

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1395 on: April 25, 2012, 01:28:49 am »

Any changes to an entity file require a new world to be generated in order to take effect, I believe.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 25, 2012, 01:31:00 am »

Not necessarily. It depends on the changes that you are attempting to do. (The reason that many of them need a regen is because ehteir effects occur at world generation itself. Adding additional reactions is not one of those things IIRC.

Could you post your reaction that you are using please? [code"]["/code] tags around them will be nice.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 25, 2012, 02:23:10 am »

wheres the folder for buildings? all i can find is the Building Custom and that only has soapmaker and screw press.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 25, 2012, 05:08:44 am »

wheres the folder for buildings? all i can find is the Building Custom and that only has soapmaker and screw press.
All the other buildings are hardcoded.

Oh, and can anyone help? Why won't my custom workshop accept bars? I even made it accept iron bars, and it still says that I don't have them.

EDIT: Welp, using boulders instead of bars fixed it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:33:27 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 25, 2012, 08:57:10 am »

Not necessarily. It depends on the changes that you are attempting to do. (The reason that many of them need a regen is because ehteir effects occur at world generation itself. Adding additional reactions is not one of those things IIRC.

Could you post your reaction that you are using please? [code"]["/code] tags around them will be nice.

It is one of those things. Everything is. Every entity is taken from the raws at worldgen, and that entity's raws AT WORLDGEN are going to stay with it.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:04 am »

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:FREE_WOOD]
[NAME:create wood]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:5:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:(OAK):WOOD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

[REACTION:FREE_BRONZE]
[NAME:create BRONZE]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRONZE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:FREE_WOOD]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:FREE_BRONZE]

I will gen a new world and see if it works

EDIT: It works now, only thing is that it isn't OAK it's just wood. I'm ok with that though
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:48:14 am by Andrew425 »
May the mass times acceleration be with you

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 25, 2012, 11:33:12 am »

Erm, my pragheels use TURTLE SHELLS to make clumps of organic materials. How can I prevent this? Even though shells and hooves and other such stuff ARE organic materials, I really want the pragheels to use corpses.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:35:51 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 25, 2012, 01:52:42 pm »

It is one of those things. Everything is. Every entity is taken from the raws at worldgen, and that entity's raws AT WORLDGEN are going to stay with it.
I hate to say this but, you're wrong. To quote the "when do I need to regenerate" thread:
Most entity changes require a new world.
Most, not all. And permitting reactions is one of those few things that is changeable after world generation. Don't believe me? Go test it yourself like I just did. You can permit reactions just fine for an entity and they will gain access to it. It may (not sure about this) not allow traders to bring the products or invaders come with that metal (such as adding a steel reaction to an entity will), but it will (sure about this) allow/disallow your dwarves to use it in your current fortress and any future ones that you make in that world.

My guess as to why it wasn't working was one of two things.
1) You modified the overall raws instead of the save ones, resulting in it not being added to your current world.
2) You created the reactions after the world had been generated. Enabling/disabling reactions for usage is fine after world generation, but adding new reactions is not.

Erm, my pragheels use TURTLE SHELLS to make clumps of organic materials. How can I prevent this? Even though shells and hooves and other such stuff ARE organic materials, I really want the pragheels to use corpses.
Try using [REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT] as your reagent. I'm not sure if that will work, but it might.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:56:44 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 25, 2012, 02:00:17 pm »

Permitted reactions reqiuire new world generation.

All entity changes require a new world.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:49 pm »

Permitted reactions reqiuire new world generation.

All entity changes require a new world.
Edit: I have now tested:
1)Disabling a reaction in a current fortress.
2)Enabling a disabled reaction in a current fortress.
3)Disabling a reaction and then starting a new fortress.
4)Enabling a disabled reaction in a new fortress.
5)Permitting a reaction that was not previously available in a new fortress
6)Disabling a #5 reaction
7)Permitting a reaction that was not previously available in a current fortress
8)Disabling a #7 reaction

Every single one has confirmed that you can permit or disable reactions after world generation. As I stated before I am unsure if this will then give invaders and traders access to new items (such as metal types) but I do know that it allows your dwarves to perform (or not perform) the changed reaction in any fortress that you make in that world. Most, not all, entity changes require a new world to be generated, but permitted reactions are not one of those things that require a new world.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:18:04 pm by i2amroy »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 25, 2012, 02:22:39 pm »

What I said is that you cannot add new reaction with a new header without making a new world. I meant the one which was not ADDED to the game. Sorry for the confusion.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 25, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »

What I said is that you cannot add new reaction with a new header without making a new world. I meant the one which was not ADDED to the game. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, that's correct. You can't create and permit a new reaction, but you can permit a currently existing reaction into an entity that couldn't use it before.

The thing about entities (for those of you who don't know) isn't that you can't change the tokens in them without world generation, it's just that the effects of many of the tokens occur during world generation and therefore are already finished. For example you could add a foreign clothing to the dwarven entity. This should then allow you to create that clothing in any of your fortress in that world. What it won't do though is to make it so that traders and migrants necessarily come with that clothing. What is "available" to your current civilization is set at world gen. However what you are able to "create" is not, and can be changed afterwards by editing the entity tokens. So for most of the entity tokens it isn't that they will have no effect until you regenerate the world, it's just that they will only have an effect on what you can currently do instead of on what has already been done.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 26, 2012, 06:04:59 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but this is on the third page now and I don't think anyone would notice if I just edited in my question.

So I know that in order to fix the transformation crash you need to move descriptions under the different castes:
[CASTE:MALE]
[DESCRIPTION:BLAHBLAH]
But how would I do this with a creature that only has a single default caste (the current thing I'm doing is worms, which in vanilla don't have male/female castes)? Would I just need to put this in?
[CASTE:DEFAULT]
[DESCRIPTION:BLAHBLAH]

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 26, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »

That should work fine, yeah!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 27, 2012, 01:12:32 am »

You could also define no caste, it would be considered CASTE:DEFAULT. At least generated werewolves don't have castes at all.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 544