Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1043437 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #990 on: March 14, 2012, 06:35:26 am »

aha! that explains why it's instant! cheers!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #991 on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:12 pm »

What is the exact difference between a semimegabeast and a megabeast ? I cant find any infos on that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 14, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »

Okay.. i got a question...
Is it possible to get a syndrome from wearing a piece of clothing?

My idea is thusly: I make a spellbook item in a library, then equip it to my mage dwarf via soldier equipment screen, the material departs its knowledge of  the spell via syndrome and the dwarf can, as long as the syndrome is in effect, cast a spell..

Will this work?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 14, 2012, 09:11:36 pm »

No, I don't think so.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »

hmmmm, no, i guess it needs to be liquid to impart syndromes.. ohwell.. I just want a bit more control over who has my awesome spells... I guess CE_DISPLAY_NAME will have to do

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 14, 2012, 10:14:34 pm »

What is the exact difference between a semimegabeast and a megabeast ? I cant find any infos on that.

Semi-s are less deadly, but also appear at your fort faster than the bigger guys. Though, I thought that was hardcoded, but glancing at the RAWS reveals all the vanilla semis have their attack trigger specified there. So I guess I don't know of any difference between the Megabeast and Semimegabeast tags themselves (not that I'm an expert.)

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 15, 2012, 12:15:26 am »

hmmmm, no, i guess it needs to be liquid to impart syndromes.. ohwell.. I just want a bit more control over who has my awesome spells... I guess CE_DISPLAY_NAME will have to do
More accurately, it needs to be fluid — the standard hack is a reaction that creates a BOULDER whose boiling point causes it to promptly gas the dwarf who did the job, imparting the spell via inhalation syndrome. This does "miss" sometimes, however, and can affect innocent bystanders.

My guess is semis spawn like wild animals(instead of using the funky unique spawn system and being tracked by things like Percentage Beasts Dead For Stoppage), but they still attack like a full mega. It is, however, a pretty uninformed guess.

Edit: Some weird accidental science I want to report.

I made "stone dwarves", intended to simplify out some of the combat crud(since even 40d had too much). For "fluff" reasons, I removed body hair.

Over the course of several forts, I noticed they were having some real trouble with kobold thieves. Now, kobold thieves routinely outrun dwarves(especially since they tend to get spotted outside, well, everything), but this was "woodcutter kills thief with axe, only after taking unusual damage" kind of trouble.

So I did some arena testing. Turns out, dwarves with no nerves and such, but also no hair, lose 1-on-1 to regular dwarves more than 2/3 of the time.

I just added stone's combat properties to all their materials and now they do fine, but for those who want [DAMBLOCK] back, thicken the body hair. IIRC the hair layer has a base thickness of 1, crank that to 10 or so and you should get some significant but not overpowered damage blocking.

I also thought of the ultimate test of the "worldgen doesn't care about amounts" hypothesis: mod out all [ENVIRONMENT]s from all iron ores, then add [ITEMCORPSE:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:HEMATITE] to one of the megabeast types. Gen a world, set to stop at year 100, and check legends; if only one megabeast of that type was killed, you've got the right kind of world.

Then start to embark from the various civs, and see if the one that killed it has all the iron/steel tools you can afford.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:21:57 am by Darekun »
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:29 am »

Solved the tablet problem, it seems it was caused by misspelling of the specific item.

But I have another question:
Which material tags affect how effective weapons are in combat? So far my searches have resulted some general guidelines, like "this tag affects blunt combat" but nowhere I can find is mentioned which tags and numbers I should edit to make the material better in weapons. The wiki doesn't offer this specific information either.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 15, 2012, 01:33:39 pm »

As far as I am aware of for blunt damage, its a factor of the weapon's size, the material density of the material, the contact size of the weapon, and the force multiplier. And past that, I am not certain all the exact effects, I was surprised once to find a mace made of a material of 3210 density appeared more lethal than an iron mace, but an iron hammer waaaay out performed hammers of the same material.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:43 pm »

My guess is semis spawn like wild animals(instead of using the funky unique spawn system and being tracked by things like Percentage Beasts Dead For Stoppage), but they still attack like a full mega. It is, however, a pretty uninformed guess.

Almost certain that this is false. Giants, cyclopes, ettins, and minotaurs (the four vanilla semimegabeasts) show up as individuals in legends mode all the time.

So I guess I don't know of any difference between the Megabeast and Semimegabeast tags themselves (not that I'm an expert.)

My guess is that there used to be more hardcoded aspects of the two tokens that got moved out in to different things over time (like attack triggers and difficulty). However, there are these two world gen parameters that specifically reference semis and megas as different things.

Code: [Select]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:<number>]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:<number>]
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 15, 2012, 06:12:33 pm »

Which material tags affect how effective weapons are in combat?
In general *_YIELD high is good, *_FRACTURE high is good, *_STRAIN_AT_YIELD low is good. Doubling *_YIELD & *_FRACTURE while halving *_STRAIN_AT_YIELD produces a significantly-better material for the specified type, but I think in detail this is an area where we don't know and Toady hasn't told us, so science would be welcome. There are significant differences from reality, for example silver war hammers don't actually yield.

In addition to "impact for blunt, shear for sharp, others for wrestling", I've heard a rumor that torsion affects penetration of impaling attacks.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:52 pm »

Almost certain that this is false. Giants, cyclopes, ettins, and minotaurs (the four vanilla semimegabeasts) show up as individuals in legends mode all the time.

So I guess I don't know of any difference between the Megabeast and Semimegabeast tags themselves (not that I'm an expert.)

My guess is that there used to be more hardcoded aspects of the two tokens that got moved out in to different things over time (like attack triggers and difficulty). However, there are these two world gen parameters that specifically reference semis and megas as different things.

Code: [Select]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:<number>]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:<number>]
the extracted semi-megabeast and megabeast have the following tags:
semi-megabeast [FEATURE_BEAST] - can't be used in raws[ATTACK_TRIGGER:0:0:50000] - sets it to attack earlier than the next.

megabeast [TITAN] - can't be used in raws [ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000] - sets it to attack twice as late as the other.

Can someone explain how I'm getting "skin chops" from my carving reaction?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5897

It's too large to post it all here.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

smokebubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 15, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »

So I guess I don't know of any difference between the Megabeast and Semimegabeast tags themselves
The wiki says Mega's can be worshiped. It doesn't say the same for Semi's.

smokebubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »

Since how [INTELLIGENT] seems to be what keeps you from butchering other races in adventure mode. I was wondering would it be possible to use [CE_REMOVE_TAG] to remove that tag? I know it doesn't list it on the wiki but I figured it might work since [INTELLIGENT] is a stand in for [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN].

If so how would one go about getting that done?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 16, 2012, 12:51:42 am »

It doesn't work.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 544