Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1043073 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #735 on: March 01, 2012, 10:52:39 am »

A question, is there any way to increase somethings speed yet have it still "move" at a slowed pace, I want to do this so I can make an interaction to increase a creatures rate of fire with ranged weapons without making them run circles around things.
Make the ranged attack temporally give it a speed boost everytime it uses it?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:53 am »

Ok, so vampires don't need do sleep. That means that when a vampire falls unconscious and is brough back to the hospital, he'll receive treatment and take a nap on the bed. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

My point is: if I add the NO_SLEEP tag on the dorfs and they get injured, will they no longer sleep forever when they are carried to the hospital?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »

A question, is there any way to increase somethings speed yet have it still "move" at a slowed pace, I want to do this so I can make an interaction to increase a creatures rate of fire with ranged weapons without making them run circles around things.
Make the ranged attack temporally give it a speed boost everytime it uses it?
You could have the interaction improve their agility, which would be a slight boost as opposed to the dramatic effect of altering the SPEED tag.

I can't think of a particularly satisfying way to handle this, so I'll just say that the combat move/speed split is Release 7 on the current list of short-term goals. Hopefully we'll be clipping through the rest of those faster than 1/year

Ok, so vampires don't need do sleep. That means that when a vampire falls unconscious and is brough back to the hospital, he'll receive treatment and take a nap on the bed. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

My point is: if I add the NO_SLEEP tag on the dorfs and they get injured, will they no longer sleep forever when they are carried to the hospital?

I believe the eternal resting is a byproduct of your lazy doctor not diagnosing/healing them- I normally burrow the bastard there year-round and lock him in when there's wounded to insure speedy treatment.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 01, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »

Spoiler: The Interactions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Creature (click to show/hide)

try that

No dice, I'm afraid. Apparently having any target of the interaction being SELF_ONLY disallows it from being used in conjunction with USAGE_HINT:ATTACK. Removing just the      [CDI:TARGET:B:SELF_ONLY] from the creature's EVOLVE_FINAL interaction resulted in the test turkey receiving the EVOLVE interaction, and promptly transforming into a Squirtle. Unless somebody gets a clever idea, it looks like we're back to the "Pokemon just evolve randomly" plan.

Now I have to go check if Leech Seed is really working the way I think it is working.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:41 pm »

how much can I increase the agility?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:14 pm »

try that

No dice, I'm afraid. Apparently having any target of the interaction being SELF_ONLY disallows it from being used in conjunction with USAGE_HINT:ATTACK. Removing just the      [CDI:TARGET:B:SELF_ONLY] from the creature's EVOLVE_FINAL interaction resulted in the test turkey receiving the EVOLVE interaction, and promptly transforming into a Squirtle. Unless somebody gets a clever idea, it looks like we're back to the "Pokemon just evolve randomly" plan.

Now I have to go check if Leech Seed is really working the way I think it is working.

Have the syndrome only effect the pokemon (so SYN_AFFECT_CREATURE:(pokemon):ALL) and that the evolve can only be cast on the pokemon if it HAS the required levels SYN_CLASS:stage1,2,3,4,etc..

Thus making sure that when two pokemon of the same type (one almost ready to evolve, and one fresh) don't evolve at the same time (even if it got the evoultion power early)

Of course there has to be a way that is not needed. Mayhaps post this in the Spellbook? Maybe someone that vists there often will know. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101264.0

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 01, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »

Am I missing something, or are Books not actually in the raws anywhere as objects? I see the text for them, but nothing about the book itself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 01, 2012, 02:31:06 pm »

Am I missing something, or are Books not actually in the raws anywhere as objects? I see the text for them, but nothing about the book itself.
I believe someone said that the item is called "TOME"
But...uh...I doubt you'd be able to make a reaction for it that works like you probably want it too.

This secret crashes the game whenever I try to load the arena with it (haven't yet bothered to risk genning a world with it), so no error log. Anyone know what's up?
Spoiler: Hexcrafter (click to show/hide)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:16 pm »

try that

Have the syndrome only effect the pokemon (so SYN_AFFECT_CREATURE:(pokemon):ALL) and that the evolve can only be cast on the pokemon if it HAS the required levels SYN_CLASS:stage1,2,3,4,etc..

Thus making sure that when two pokemon of the same type (one almost ready to evolve, and one fresh) don't evolve at the same time (even if it got the evoultion power early)

Of course there has to be a way that is not needed. Mayhaps post this in the Spellbook? Maybe someone that vists there often will know. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101264.0

Can we define our own SYN_CLASS? I tried that before and it didn't work, but maybe I was just going about it the wrong way. The main problem is that unattended, the creature never learns the Evolve interaction itself, it just gives it to the foe. It'd be kludgy as hell to just rely on the enemy always targeting the creature who used that interaction.

New developments arose while testing Leech Seed, however!

Spoiler: The Interaction (click to show/hide)

So, normally this ability causes a slight debuff to the foe, and a big recuperation buff to the user- I switched it to Agility since that is easier to measure the effect. Now, if you take control of Bulbasaur and use Leech Seed, the foe takes his debuff and you get your big speed boost. BUT, if you spawn a Bulbasaur and take control of, say, a Roc, then when Bulbasaur uses Leech Seed the ROC gets the speed boost and (presumably) the debuff as well.

This is the same operating principle as the Evolve interaction, just with different effects. Given the difference in functionality between direct control and being the recipient, I don't know if this is an unexpected merger of features or a straight up bug or what. I'll go cross-post in the Spellbook thread, since that's where the initial idea for Leech Seed came from.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 01, 2012, 02:51:23 pm »

try that

I have an ugly hack idea, put wartortle and blastoise as castes in squirtle and change caste not creature when you evolve.  It won't keep them from giving the interaction to others, but unless the other creature has a wartortle caste , it couldn't change into one as well.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 01, 2012, 03:07:58 pm »

Again, the problem with that hack is that the AI never targets itself with the beneficial effect, even though it is just supposed to default to the user. So I can trick the target into attempting to evolve one of the enemies it faces (hopefully the user,) but I can't get the user to just straight receive the benefit.

how much can I increase the agility?

[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:AGILITY:100:0] is percentage based- that's 100, which should mean that the agility remains unchanged. [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:AGILITY:500:0] would be 5 times the agility, which factors into the assorted other variables that determine speed to make the creature faster. I don't know what the cap is, but I imagine it is quite large, more than you're likely to hit.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:11 pm »

Then how the hell does:
Quote from: interaction_standard.txt
[INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
   [I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
   [I_TARGET:A:MATERIAL]
      [IT_MATERIAL:CONTEXT_MATERIAL]
   [I_TARGET:B:LOCATION]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_LOCATION] <-- this is always the emitter for now
   [I_TARGET:C:LOCATION]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_LOCATION]
      [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:target]
   [I_EFFECT:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_TARGET:B]
      [IE_TARGET:C]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]

Quote from: creature_subterranean.txt : IMP_FIRE
   [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Hurl fireball]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
      [CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]
      [CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL]
      [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
      [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
      [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
      [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]
I only really see TARGET:C being used am I failing to see what uses TARGET:A and TARGET:B?

do the two mentioned TARGETs aim at stuff within the creature?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »

That's... a really good question. Especially given the note about "this is always the emitter." I'm assuming that the EFFECT:MATERIAL_EMISSION is hardcoded to take 3 arguments- material, emitter, and target. The first two are drawn from the user, and C is obviously the thing you want to burn. Based on my Leech Seed tests, however, I would have assumed that A and B would be used on the target as well since they aren't explicitly SELF_ONLY.

I'm about a hair from dropping an email to Toady to see if he can make some sense of this.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 01, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »

Does anyone know if an inorganic can have multiple reaction classes?

And also, is it possible to have the product be a random item from a reaction class?
Would INORGANIC:ANY:REACTION_CLASS work?

E: The answer to the first question is yes.
The answer to the second question is: "I'm still trying to hack out a way to do it"
And the answer to the third question is a resounding no.

So I guess my new question here is this:
I have a series of INORGANIC items with the same reaction_class and reaction product. I would like the reaction to only output one item of this class. I would like the items material to be randomly chosen from the potential INORGANIC items of this reaction_class or reaction product. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:41:57 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 01, 2012, 06:00:05 pm »

Has anyone figured out how the [CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:1:2] tag works?  I know that the 1:2 part tells it to multiply the weapon force by 1/2, but I can't figure out how to make it use a specific material. [CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:METAL:SILVER:10:1] still seems to affect all materials rather than just silver, whereas [CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:METAL:SILVER:10:1] just gives me errors.  I'm assuming there's probably a token I have to use instead of MAT_MULT, but I can't figure out what it might be.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 544