Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1043434 times)

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #405 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:07 pm »

So with the previous version my soul mod was working just fine. I was able to butcher an animal, get its soul essence, and then turn that essence into a gem to be used for other interactions.

All of that still works now, except that the animal is also dropping a "Stray Dog, right false rib, soul bone". What is changed in the new raws that might cause this? Nothing I could see would be a reason.
Even though Butcher Special is still used in the raws for stuff like meat, you might want to switch to EBO or Extra Butcher Object and specify what type of cut you'd like your soul gem to have, which can even be a shape you make up and add to descriptor_shapes.

Also before anyone spends too much time on an English language file for the new words, I'd like to post my complete language_ENGLISH file...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh and It works fine in any version.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 21, 2012, 02:42:00 pm »

So with the previous version my soul mod was working just fine. I was able to butcher an animal, get its soul essence, and then turn that essence into a gem to be used for other interactions.

All of that still works now, except that the animal is also dropping a "Stray Dog, right false rib, soul bone". What is changed in the new raws that might cause this? Nothing I could see would be a reason.
Even though Butcher Special is still used in the raws for stuff like meat, you might want to switch to EBO or Extra Butcher Object and specify what type of cut you'd like your soul gem to have, which can even be a shape you make up and add to descriptor_shapes.

Also before anyone spends too much time on an English language file for the new words, I'd like to post my complete language_ENGLISH file...
Oh and It works fine in any version.

Theres an EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT now?! Oh happy day!

Edit: Forgive my naivety, where might I see examples of this use? Nevermind found it!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:50:19 pm by Roses »

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 21, 2012, 02:43:56 pm »

I've been wondering -- how would I go about making a tree which dropped a log which had the same properties as Copper or Bronze, and then turning that log into a weapon?

I have plans for a bigger mod coming, but this is one of the first hurdles I need to jump to start it up.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »

I've been wondering -- how would I go about making a tree which dropped a log which had the same properties as Copper or Bronze, and then turning that log into a weapon?

I have plans for a bigger mod coming, but this is one of the first hurdles I need to jump to start it up.

[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD]

change it too

[TREE:INORGANIC:COPPER]

if that fails then go this route

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:willow]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:willow]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:4:0]
[BUILD_COLOR:6:4:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[SPEC_HEAT:385]
[MELTING_POINT:11952]
[BOILING_POINT:14611]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8930]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:8020]
[MOLAR_MASS:63546]
[IMPACT_YIELD:245000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:770000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:175]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:245000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:770000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:175] 140
[TENSILE_YIELD:70000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:220000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:58] 120
[TORSION_YIELD:70000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:220000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:145]
[SHEAR_YIELD:70000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:220000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:145] 48
[BENDING_YIELD:70000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:220000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:58]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD]

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:09 pm »

Hmm, if I change the specific tree to  [TREE:INORGANIC:COPPER], would that mean that it left a bar of copper or a "wood" log that had the properties of copper. Need to test that.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »

Concerning EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT the wiki states that it can be BY_CATEGORY, BY_TYPE, or BY_TOKEN. What is the difference between these?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2012, 03:23:06 pm »

Concerning EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT the wiki states that it can be BY_CATEGORY, BY_TYPE, or BY_TOKEN. What is the difference between these?
I assume it is refering to Body Parts

BY_CATEGORY = would be HAND which would include (Left Hand, Right Hand)
BY_TYPE = would be STANCE which would be any bodypart with a STANCE tag
BY_TOKEN = would be the bodyparts ID so RUA would be Right Upper Arm

EDIT:
this is from the file changes:
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
   [EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE] <-- ANY_HARD_STONE is special, but you can use the standard material token list too
   [EBO_SHAPE:GIZZARD_STONE] <-- this is a shape for a gem from descriptor_shape_standard.txt

So for every bodypart that falls into the GIZZARD category would drop this item apon butchering
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:26:06 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #412 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »

Trees always drop logs. You can make special logs that can be "refined" in a special reaction to metal, OR make wooden weapons/trapparts out of them. No other way.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 21, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »

Trees always drop logs. You can make special logs that can be "refined" in a special reaction to metal, OR make wooden weapons/trapparts out of them. No other way.
So would
[TREE:INORGANIC:(metal/stone)] make a log that has the same properties as (metal/stone) thus dropping a "(metal/stone) log(s)"

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:31 pm »

So, if I were to replace the specific trees material with Copper, as per Hugos suggestion, would the tree provide a log with the same materials as copper?

If I were to make a custom reaction in a workshop that let me turned one log into a weapon, say a spear, and I used one of the "copper wood logs" would the spear have the properties of a copper spear?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »

As far as my testing goes, yes. A log, made of a material of choice. Unfortunately vanilla DF has not many uses for weapon grade wood. Arrows should be good though, but I do believe that they will not be used properly, but this is a rather random science. And high value furniture of course.

I would have loved to do things like a thorn-tree that drops a couple of "menacing spike" thorns, or a apple-tree that drops a stack of 5 apples upon being cut down, but Df does not support it. Only workaround is the custom reaction I mentioned. Boiling logs with syndromes also work btw. Found no use for them yet though.

@bobsnewaddress: Yes, exactly. But the forge does not accept logs, you would need a custom reaction, OR a wooden spear. If it is... copper wood, then the spear is as good as a copper spear :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 21, 2012, 03:43:50 pm »

As far as my testing goes, yes. A log, made of a material of choice. Unfortunately vanilla DF has not many uses for weapon grade wood. Arrows should be good though, but I do believe that they will not be used properly, but this is a rather random science. And high value furniture of course.

I would have loved to do things like a thorn-tree that drops a couple of "menacing spike" thorns, or a apple-tree that drops a stack of 5 apples upon being cut down, but Df does not support it. Only workaround is the custom reaction I mentioned. Boiling logs with syndromes also work btw. Found no use for them yet though.

@bobsnewaddress: Yes, exactly. But the forge does not accept logs, you would need a custom reaction, OR a wooden spear. If it is... copper wood, then the spear is as good as a copper spear :)

Excellent, thanks!

I'm trying to come up with a few "Metal Trees" in order to give Elves more of a fighting chance. I plan on making a mod where all the Vanilla races (Dwarf, Elf, Goblin, Human, Kobold) are playable but each have access to different levels of technology, clothing and materials.

I wasn't going to give Elves access to picks or mining equipment and wanted to make them live aboveground, but still have a chance of surviving in battle, so I thought that certain rare trees for weapons and armor would make a good compromise.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #417 on: February 21, 2012, 03:47:46 pm »

I am planning/working on the exact same thing for my mod. :)

Elves have steeloak and ironbark, 4 new bows, and 6 new ammo types in my mod, making them a tiny bit more sturdier then the vanilla ones ;)

If you like we could pool resources, do you have a mod thread somewhere?

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 21, 2012, 03:58:14 pm »

I am planning/working on the exact same thing for my mod. :)

Elves have steeloak and ironbark, 4 new bows, and 6 new ammo types in my mod, making them a tiny bit more sturdier then the vanilla ones ;)

If you like we could pool resources, do you have a mod thread somewhere?

I don't have a thread yet, barely started brainstorming a few days ago on paper and haven't gotten to work on anything digital yet but I'd happily contribute in any way I can.

How are you doing the steeloak and ironbark? Are they specific trees, or were you going to use a custom reaction? My first instinct was to follow the example of the Tsurrani from the "Riftwar Saga", who lived in a world with almost no metal, and have them instead make wooden weapons which are treated with a selection of chemicals and lacquers till they are almost metal-hard. I was going to simulate it by having a crop which could be extracted in a custom workshop and combined with wood logs to make a bronze propertied custom material which could be made into weapons, but felt that this may have been too complex for the way the Elf civilization is normally presented in DF.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #419 on: February 21, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »

Well, see this: It is for dwarves and very un-elven. Elves currently just have a free reaction to produce it, since I dont play them yet, only trade with them.

Also this: Flavor for my mod - brainstorming
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 544