Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1042813 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7950 on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:54 pm »

Which Identifiers?

The file name minus .txt at the very top and [OBJECT:INORGANIC] below it. Post the whole file.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: June 16, 2014, 10:04:20 pm »

Will FBs ever be made of modded materials, or only vanilla materials?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: June 16, 2014, 10:12:42 pm »

Will FBs ever be made of modded materials, or only vanilla materials?

They can be made of any non-special ([DEEP_SPECIAL], [DEEP_SURFACE] or [SPECIAL]) material. I'm not entirely sure about [SPECIAL].

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: June 19, 2014, 12:38:06 am »

Here is more of a preference question than a modding question;

I know a lot of mods use a simplified leather system, where you get rid of having "cat leather" and just have leather instead. Do people think that such a system might be relevant for other aspects of the game?

I am currently re-writing my plants system and was thinking about creating just three tiers of certain things (like alcohol). So instead of having "tequila, gin, cave beer, starapple wine, deep cordrial, crystal spirits, etc..." you would only have "alcohol, fine alcohol, and lavish alcohol" (names not necessarily finalized). You could do similar things for threads, flour, bread, sugar, spices, dyes, jams, syrups, pretty much anything really except for seeds. And since the game doesn't have any true distinguishing features (besides value) for these thing (i.e. a Dwarf doesn't need to drink 1 wine or 4 beers, just needs one unit of drink) you wouldn't lose anything.

Where this fails, of course, is in specialized poisons or affects from the drinks, but since those tend to be the exceptions, rather than the common, I figure you could cut down a great deal of unneeded materials (a simple test, for 100 plants I went from needing 280 USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE's to 40, a fairly substantial change).

What do people think? Worth while, or should I just stick with the standard system?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: June 19, 2014, 01:08:01 am »

The game does have distinguishing values, though; "was tired of drinking the same old booze lately".

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7955 on: June 19, 2014, 01:28:57 am »

I think its a good idea, if your target is to reduce bloat. I know some people will love it, others will hate it. For example I would put something like that into accelerated DF (because it makes the game simpler), but I would not add it into MDF.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: June 19, 2014, 09:01:50 am »

If I were to give a civilization clothing, but nothing to make it out of, but I gave them a reaction for free [CREATURE] silk, would all their clothing be that silk?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7957 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:13 am »

Depends if they somehow have access to animal that give thread. Or if they have access to plants that make thread.

In theory your idea works, but the hard part is that "but nothing to make it out of."
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: June 19, 2014, 09:22:25 am »

I think it would be easier to give them a boatload of reactions to make Unique Silk Trousers, Unique Silk Socks, Unique Silk Propeller Caps, etc. from some base material... and do not give them access to the standard clothing reactions.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: June 19, 2014, 09:32:00 am »

The game does have distinguishing values, though; "was tired of drinking the same old booze lately".

Hmm, completely forgot about that, guess I won't do it with alcohol.

EDIT: Are there any negative thoughts associated with other plant products, like thread or dye?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:05:52 am by Roses »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: June 19, 2014, 01:14:06 pm »

No. You're fine to standardize everything but alcohol.

urist nazushvel

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Blood O' Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: June 19, 2014, 02:54:35 pm »

So few quick questions
1. Is it possible to add new liquids if so what files would I be messing with?
2. Can I make vampires into a adventure race without making them a complete from scratch race?
3. Is there a word for lines in dwarf all I could find was line since my username for everything is BloodLines but all I could get is bloodline (nazushvel)
4. What are some good programs for modding DF the must have programs.

Thanks for any replies this is my first post I will hopefully be pretty active on the forums depending on how I like it.

- Urist NazushVel

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7962 on: June 19, 2014, 03:12:17 pm »

1. No.
2. Copy dwarves and add the vampirism traits from interaction_examples that come with vanilla DF.
3. You can make one, add Bloodlines to the language file yourself.
4. Notepad++ or any other text editor. Nothing else needed. WinMerge and BeyondCompare also help.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: June 19, 2014, 03:22:46 pm »

"Nazushvel" means "bloodlines". Plural is identical to singular in dwarven.

Also, Git is probably better for merging than winmerge, assuming everyone involved is using it.

bughunter

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is like a baby, it has layers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: June 19, 2014, 03:30:07 pm »

Which Identifiers?

The file name minus .txt at the very top and [OBJECT:INORGANIC] below it. Post the whole file.

Please remember I am quite new to modding :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone else here want some kitten leather thongs?